my dremel drill

Ernie

Hi all,

My dremel drill is the battery powered version. It really is superb, BUT

the on/off switch however is suspect, and getting worse. I think I've read that its a common problem; It seems like a faulty connection, 'cos sometimes it works, and sometimes it does'nt; What is the fix? Is there a fix?

ernie

WD40 will probably work but Electrolube would be better. Or you could bite the bullet and strip it down and put Vaseline on the contacts. Once upon a time I did that with noisy/intermittent volume controls - I don't think I could be bothered now

My mains powered Dremel switch/speed controller has been trouble-free for years of abuse.

Geoff

Electrolube switch cleaner should remove the oxidation but then it is a good idea to smear the contacts to prevent future oxidation with vaseline or (genuine) 3:1 oil, as it has an oxidation inhibitor . The switch contacts are on a printed circuit board and I once tried to repair a JR transmitter that had WD40 sprayed into it but it had penetrated into the circuit board and made it conductive, so the transmitter was a write off.

If all this fails a new switch is the only option.

Barry

If that does not work try a new battery. I had a similar problem, sometimes would work and sometimes not. I tried switch cleaner, phoned dremel suppport ( just offered a discount on a new one). In the end i bought a replacement battery, not a dremel one but £8.00 substitute from germany and it has been fine ever since. Note that i checked the original battery voltage etc. and it seemed fine.

I read through this thread with interest purely because after 2 years of not very intensive use my Dremel 3000 packed up.

p1050551.jpg

I did buy another one, but that's a different story. Have looked at YouTube to see how to dismantle this particular model I thought I would have a go and see if there was anything obvious amiss.

p1050552.jpg

The brushes looked OK, but then how would I know if they weren't short of buying some more.

p1050557.jpgPins don't look that clean, but not dirty enough to cause I problem, but I am not sure on that.

p1050559.jpg

I tried to look at the switch contacts, but I couldn't see how to take the plastic switch cover off. I know some have found greasing the contacts solves the problem. By eye alone they didn't look a problem. Once again not sure though.

p1050558.jpg

Anyway, put it back together, but it still doesn't work (yes I did check the fuse). Not sure there is anything else I can do with it. Any clever ideas gratefully received!

• 3 weeks later...

I did have a problem with my Dremel which is at least 28 years old, but not electrical in nature. The motor has a splined output shaft and the end where all the cutting stuff is attached is a splined shaft. These two shafts are connected with a flexible vinyl tube. After all these years it came apart. My Dremel is so old the parts book did not even reference a part number. So , I got a short piece of vinyl tubing --3/8 OD and 1/4 ID --and pushed it onto the two splined shafts. Warming it up helped. Even thought it did not have any internal splines, it seemed to be a pretty tight fit. I have used it this way for several years to do the usual stuff like cutting music wire etc and it has held up so far.--------Maybe through the years this is a common part, who knows? I took a wild guess and ordered a Sears part #2-615-294-309-760 and it turned out to be exactly the same part. Don't take my word for it as this was 4 years ago and Sears in the US is having problems. Do your research as it was a non returnable part. --$3 for the part and $12 shipping! I had to buy the tubing by the foot , so now I have 10 inches left over. ---A 15 cent investment for the future! I think today I will be building inside as it is 22 F outside. Bob in Kansas