Voltage sensor

Gordon Tarling

Advert

The simplest, and smallest, voltage sensor for the X4R is the FrSky FBVS-01. For some reason, T9 have never sold this. It is about £3 from BangGood.

**LINK**

Also the instructions for fitting it can be found in this documentation. Go to Section 10 part 2, the second "How To" section.

**LINK**

You will need a soldering iron. OpenTX can be adjusted to give the correct reading for a SLA battery.

You could use a resistor dividor to bring the voltage under 3.3v and use the a2 analogue input on the x4r or use an FBVS-01 sensor as here

Andy got there first!  The FBVS-01 appears to be a device with a selection of three dividor ranges.  I know GiantCod used to selll these, might be worth checking RCLife.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 08/12/2018 14:55:03

Thanks for the advice chaps. I bought an FBVS-01 a couple of weeks ago and connected it up as shown in the documentation, but the Tx doesn't find it as a telemetry sensor. I did read that it will only work with the D8 receivers, which aren't compatible with my Tx, though that doesn't seem to be entirely true.

I'm wondering if the FCS-40A current sensor also gives battery voltage - does anyone know?

Bob - the resistor divider sounds feasible to me - will investigate that method.

Yes, SLA means Sealed Lead Acid battery - not much use in aircraft, but frequently used in boats.

I'll have another crack at the FBVS sensor tomorrow.

CARPERFECT, reflashing the Tx is completely unnecessary, the OP is using an X4R receiver which works perfectly well with the FBVS-01 as shown in the documentation I linked to.

Gordon, basically the FBVS-01 is a simple resistor divider. The documentation I supplied the link to above shows how to wire it up to your X4R.

Carperfect - I don't really want to be re-flashing the Tx if it can be avoided.

Andy48 - I'm fairly sure that I had the FBVS connected as shown in that documentation. However, I'll re-check the connections tomorrow and do some voltage/continuity checks if I can't get it working. BTW - very useful link to that documentation, I've not seen that before - thanks.

I think Bob gives the best advice here.
Voltage A2 is a connection available on the side connector of the X4R. It's likely that the TX doesn't discover this until a voltage other than zero is detected on it.
Your 12v would require 2 resistors to divide it by 4 (so that A2 never sees more than 3.3v)

Then you'd have to set the multiplier in the TX to suit.

Many thanks for the disparaging comments Chris, and Onetenor!

I explored the FBVS-01 thoroughly before writing my documentation for OpenTX, and I now have at least 4 X4Rs running with FBVS-01 in them. It is perfectly suitable for the OPs use in a boat using a SLA battery. Essentially it is a simple resistor divider, and as the OP has one it makes sense for him to use it, rather than have to go about getting hold of the correct value resistors.

As so often the FrSky documentation is less than perfect and is not written the X4R receiver. I had to play around with the wiring for quite some time to get it to work correctly. I suspect if the OP follows my documentation, and discovers sensors again, it will work with no problem.

Sadly it seems pointless having spent months and months exploring, testing and writing 250+ pages of documentation when it is rubbished by a few who have never really followed it through.

Woah Andy48 there's absolutely no need for that type of response.

I didn't know that the FBVS-01 was simply a resistor divider.

What we're doing then, is giving very similar advice. There are many more (polite) ways to point out the little gap in my kowledge.

I've learned something, I'm sure Gordon has.

Now with my moderator hat on - I'd like to keep this place as the freindly forum.

Thanks chaps, got it all working properly this afternoon, using the FBVS sensor. Not sure what I was doing wrong previously though. I think I've calibrated it correctly, as it's showing the correct voltage on the Tx screen, so now I have to set up a low voltage alarm for it.

One thing puzzling me is that I keep getting 'telemetry lost' warnings during the setting up process - is this just because the Tx is very close to the Rx?

BobCotsford - thanks for that info, handy to know.

Chris, these were the original D series voltage sensors that have fallen out of favour as most people just use the LiPo sensor for external voltages these days. I must admit that I never bought one myself preferring to use a high value screw adjustment miniature pot to act as a divider when I used to only worry about the total pack voltage. We're a bit spoiled with X series SPort sensors now.