I saw 3 ships go sailing by......

cymaz

Advert

Probably a lot of ice in Baffin Bay...

I flew over the northern parts of Baffin Bay on Christmas Day last year en route to Vancouver. I can accurately report that I saw no ships in Baffin Bay. However I should also mention that I didn't have a window seat, and we flew such a northerly routing that it was dark outside on that part of the flight - so I didn't see any ice, or indeed anything there either!

That is possibly the only time I've seen daylight twice in one day, punctuated by night-time. We departed Heathrow in daylight, flew north into darkness, then south again over B.C. in Canada back into daylight, then soon after landing at Vancouver the sun set again...

In previous years we've flown over Hudson Bay en route to Calgary on ski trips. That's further south, and also later in the year (Easter) so in daylight where we could easily observe the ice in Hudson Bay - quite spectacular.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 23/12/2018 11:11:58:

Coupled with FlightRadar 24, it makes you wonder how the human race could survive without machines. Imagine no aircraft, boats or cars...?

Human race would cease to exist...

The human race survived for millenia without cars and aeroplanes but boats have been available for most of that time even if the early ones were little more than a hollowed out log.

I've sailed across the North Sea twice (there and back) between Harwich (actually Suffolk Yacht harbour) and Vlissengen and across the Irish Sea a few times. I think I'm glad a I didn't see that web site before I did. It was hard enough dodging the shipping in the traffic separation lanes in the North Sea as it was - steam gives way to sail is a myth

The inland routes along the big canals/waterways is interesting, too.

Thanks

Geoff