6EXAP Question.

Richard. W.

I don't want to start any flame war over makes or brand here, folks. The Futaba 6EXAP is what I bought about 11 years ago when I took up rc flying and then packed away a year later when I gave up the hobby. I've never used another rig so I can't compare anyway and I was quite happy with it.

For the time being I don't need more than 6 functions and I know we can still use 35 mhz so I guess what I'm really asking is confirmation that with a new battery pack fitted there's nothing preventing me from using my old set. I'm never going to fly helicopters and my idea of the hobby is just fun flying at the local patch.

Advert

I'd say go for it. I did exactly the same after a 12 year layoff. I picked up a futaba 12z brand new in box with 3 G3 2048 receivers with programmable frequency for pennies. I previously had a ff9 which is still in use now. thing is, should you feel the need to convert to 2.4 it's also relatively inexpensive

Yep, go for it, I've just converted a MPX 3030 back to 35 MHz and I'm using it with several IC models. The only thing to watch if you pick up 2nd hand receivers, is getting the correct crystals for it, you might struggle get ones to match your Tx channel, worth keeping an eye out for synthesized receivers.

One other thing to check, if you've left the battery pack in the Tx is that you haven't got black wire corrosion. 

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 24/12/2018 09:06:17

You can convert you 6 EXA to 2.4 easily and cheaply by using a FrSky hack module. The RX's are cheap ,very reliable and IMHO far better than the old 35 meg gear offered by futaba. The most beneficial part of using FrSky 2.4 radio are less possibility of radio interference with electric powered models and fantastic range with almost instant re boot in the unlikely event that the signal is disrupted.

Posted by supertigrefan on 24/12/2018 11:07:10:

Reading Richards' post I interpret it that he's happy to continue using 35meg.

Certainly for the time being.........All the stuff I bought is hardly used. Had maybe a dozen flights tops before being packed away so I can't really justify buying it all again in 2.4 just because it's the "In Thing" at the moment.

I'm not having a go at people with 2.4 equipment. It's no doubt fantastic kit and does everything bar cook breakfast but since I already have 35 meg stuff and just want some recreational fun flying, it makes sense to use what I've got and you chaps have kindly confirmed I'm not breaking any laws or rules, which is good to know.

I've been up into the loft this morning and evicted a few spiders from several boxes of "mogglin' stuff"... Seems I had the sense to remove the battery pack from my tx before I stored it so the wiring should be OK. I will be buying new batteries though.

The real problem with 35 mhz is that most clubs don't bother putting out frequency boards anymore and 35 users tend to think they are the only ones likely to be at the field. You need to be very alert and spot other 35 users!

We should continue to use 35mhz or we will lose it.