Recommended First Balsa Kit

neil martin 1

Looking for some advice. Ive been flying over 10 years and would consider myself a competent pilot (B Level) but have never built anything. Im always in awe of the aircraft on the showline at the Nationals and other events I visit and would ultimately love to produce something of that scale in years to come. After some research, I can see that my question has been answered many times. I suppose im looking for some modern UK opinions as lots of rcgroups/universe appear from google searches. If there are any links available to this subject then Id be grateful if you could send them.

What is a good beginner warbird kit for a total newbie? I understand that I should maybe start with a high wing trainer of some type, but my flying skills are passed that and it is ultimately a warbird that will drive me on to produce the end result as I have a keen interest in them.

Thanks in advance.

Advert

There is so much work in a scale model that it would be better to start with a sports model. I would suggest the Limbo Dancer or the SLEC Fun Fly which are much quicker to build and useful as hack models or for engine running in.

Equally good would be the Gangster 63 Lite from Mick Reeves.

Thank you all for the feedback. I understand the complex issues thqt are faced with warbird build so would like to have this exposure to be able to learn them...but maybe for a second or third build. Do the topflite kits require a good level of experience in this regard? Maybe a low wing sports model is the way to go for first build. Would be looking for something I could complete fairly quickly and gain valuable knowledge at the same time

Welcome, you are a problem. Now we are used to beginners wot can't fly. But a flyer wot can't build.

I would follow Percy's advice, get it built, warts and all, but at least it will fly, and be worth flying. Next one will be better.

Just bear in mind, the "traditional" built kits tend to be heavier than ARTF. Work to minimise the difference, and learn to fly a heavier model.

Keep you away from adulterous behaviour for a few years. Too busy.

Merry Christmas.

One of the skills of building from plans is the selection of balsa. If you buy a kit this is already done for you, hopefully building from a kit gets you this knowledge ( if the selection is good )

Of course you could just get an experienced builder to pick the balsa from your stock.

Selection is not just weight but what is stiff enough and what can be bent for L.E. sheeting etc.