Laminating

TH

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone help ? I need to laminate 1.5mm ply sheet onto 3mm balsa to form part of the fuselage of my Fieseler Storch. What would be the best adhesive to use to avoid warping. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Cheers

Tony Hobson

Advert

The heavy press is the important thing Tony, with As any chosen glue can cause warping

Rub down lightly the surfaces to be bonded as ply has releaser in the surface from manufacture which is not good for bonding

Get everything ready in advance

Then e.g.Aliphatic spread evenly with a credit card, enough to wet the surfaces thinly then PRESS

Press with flat boards and weights on a flat surface and leave a day if you can

Edited By Denis Watkins on 10/01/2019 19:11:34

I use a method that was described in an early 80s issue of Radio Modeller which has proven to make strong and reliable laminated sections ever since.

The joint surfaces of the parts to be laminated are brushed with a thin coat 70/30 PVA/water mix and allowed to dry thoroughly. When dry bring the parts together in their final position and apply a domestic iron preheated to "cotton heat" for a minute or so. As the PVA is heat sensitive it will form an excellent bond and the iron being flat will hold the lamination flat.

I have some models that have used this laminating method for fuselage formers that date from the 80s which are still structurally sound. I have even used this method with thin ply sheet place of fibreglass bandages for wing joining, far neater and stronger.

Posted by Peter Miller on 11/01/2019 18:14:17:

Aliphatic Resin works really well with the heatthechnique but you have to make sure that the heat gets right through.

A normal covering iron is not hot enough. I used to use a small travelling iron.

Thixofix used to bew brilliant but I haven't been able to find it for some time now

Thixofix is available via Amazon and eBay, I haven't seen it in hardware shops for a while but the vapours are hazardous so maybe that is why and also why Evo-stick changed its formulation?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 11/01/2019 20:49:35

Many thanks to all who replied offering advice.

Thanks, Dennis, so that's why I experienced some delaminating, I didn't know about the releasant on ply. I'm going to try 'Titebond Extend Wood Glue' - after lightly sanding the ply - see if that's successful.