Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog

l.cub 1.jpgI spent a lot of time working out the best way to build it.

The cabin sides are 1/32" ply on the outside with an inner lamination of 3/32 balsa. THis is so I can make good round grooves to take the balsa dowel for the rear fuselage. Stucture.

Lightness is vital. Electric power is the only way togo with this model because pacticing STOL will almost certainly result in nose overs, Starting an engine a dozen time flight is not fun.

The first step is to make the joint between the dowel and side. This needs a half round groove. Fortunately I have a 1/4" Abrafile but a good 1/4" round file will do or you can gouge it out with a sharpened 1/4" sharpened brass tube

Edited By Peter Miller on 24/01/2019 16:08:51

Well another bit further.

Buildong thye sides over the plan. Because the sheet parts are on the side of the tubular parts I had a mirror image printed off so I can build both at once. Also tryingto build the second side over the first would have been tricky with round member this was a good idea.

l.cub3.jpg

Here the longerons have been glued into the grooves in the sides.

l.cub 4.jpg

Shaping the joints is a lot harder with round stock. Not only do you have to get the angles right, the hollows have to be at the same angle

l.cub 6.jpg

The side has been built. The vertical member at the tail end is not fitted because when they are joined the fin post will go down and form that member.

Not sure if I should make that out of birch dowel in case the fin gets knocked but then hinging might be a bit of a problem. We shall see

My drawing shows the diagonals as being 3/16" however I found that the joints would have been much weaker so kept them the same as the longerons

Edited By Peter Miller on 25/01/2019 08:27:34

Edited By Peter Miller on 25/01/2019 08:28:07

I am using the scale Piper Cup section USA35B but with the bottom flat instead of very slight undercamber.

At the size I am building it the undercamber is barely visible.

I am not using the slotted flaps. In fact the flaps are acurally curved down and I am making them flat like the ailerons.

Just for added interest. I found this You Tube video of a walk round which shows some morfe detail in close up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLH_2tMoGo&t=88s

I am also simplifying the tail mounting and have reduced the extreme longitudinal dihedral.

Edited By Peter Miller on 25/01/2019 11:16:51

Looks almost identical to the infamous Clark Y.

Are you putting LE slats on?

Thinking about wing loading, the full size Cub is 7:1 aspect ratio, I think. At 54" that's looking like 400 (ish) sq in, giving a loading of around 12oz / sq ft with a 2lb AUW, which certainly works for a slow flyer. At 2-1/2lb, it's14oz /sq ft.

WCL for both AUWs is 6 and 7.6.

A slightly challenging weight target with a wood build at this size I think, but certainly not impossible. I got 3lb dead on with a 500sq in wing of 52" span, using all sheet construction. Lots of open framework would knock that down a good bit and lighter drivetrain and radio gear could be used.

Speaking of which, what sort of batter / motor / servos are you using?

Dave M

What was your J60 AUW?

It is very similar to Clark Y.

Yes, I am fitting slats. I used them on my scale Legrande Simon and they really worked.A pain to make but...

As fpor the area, the Li'l Cub has had its wings cropped where the tip curvature starts.the model is in fact just under 1/6" scale so the chord is 9 1/2 " which will give it a bit more area

More progress.

The fuselage is basically assembled. It pnly weighs 8 ounces. The rear end has a bit more sheet thanthe original to support the snakes and the rudder post and leading edge

l. cub7.jpg

Front view shows shows the formers. Possibly the could be one less but the rear three are liteply and have very large lightening holes.

l.cub8.jpg

The wing is very simple. Here the lower LE sheet and rear spar capstrips are laid down. The flaps are fully sheeted

The centfre sectuon is being buit as well/

l.cub9.jpg

The ribs and top spar have now been added. Note the tip rib. The full size aircraft has the ends of gthe wings left open so I have fretted out the tip rib in liteply.

lcub10.jpg

Things have moved on. Got a lot more building done. The trouble is that I have to set my "studio" up so I wait untilI have done quite a lot.

The wings have now had their leading edge sheet and all the capstrips done etc. This shot also shows the slats being made. 2 laminations of 1/32" sheet and two of 1/16 sheet. glue is applied and then they are taped very firmly to the leading edge and left to dry.l.cub11.jpg

This is one of the servo mounts and its location in the wing. Note also paper tubes.

l.cub12.jpg

The two wings and centre section ready for joining.

l.cub15.jpg

This shot shows the laminations of the slat.

l.cub16.jpg

Hold down nuts and tail mounting have been added. also the 1/64" ply over the instrument panel

l.cub17.jpg

The servo mounts for the rudder and elevator. They are buried rather deeply in the fuselage.

l.cub19.jpg

The fin and rudder are very light. The fin post is birch dowel just to take the loads of the model going onto its back. Hunge slots were cut with a fine cutting disc

l.cub21.jpg

This is just a dry assembly. Not that the fin does not touch anywhere except for the leading edge and rear post.

The sheet under the tail is to support the snakes

l.cub22.jpg

The tailplane and elevators are similar on construction to the fin and rudder.

l.cub20.jpg

Forgot a couple of pictures

The fretted out tip rib is a very distinctive feature.

l.cub13.jpg

THis is my standard strut mount made using a metal clevis. I fit it to a short piece of threaded rpd and bind this to ply with wire. I ten solder it in place.Easy to use and not screws to lose on a cold day or in deep grass.

l.cub18.jpg