Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

20200621_125624.jpg20200621_125320.jpg20200603_153904.jpgGood day gentlemen,

I see this post is still active so I thought I would share my build info and some photos.

I went for a more powerful option, Aerodrive 4240 740kv motor, driving a 14 x 10 prop, 60 Amp ESC and 4000mAh battery. 2.2 kg all up weight, a bit heavy but it does perform. The engine is partially 3D printed, as are the slats. To save weight I ordered the 5 inch foam/rubber wheels from the HK Tundra II. The flap hinges are the offset type, again from HK. Because I used a heavier motor, I mounted the battery on the C of G, access hatch below the cabin. No ballast was required. The model flies really well, loops, rolls and stall turns all possible. The best is the ridiculously slow approach and landing speeds with 90 degrees of flap. Has been an interesting build and not the usual two a penny Cub.20200530_100838.jpg

Posted by bees on 20/06/2020 17:43:44:

Hi, just about finished the Cub but iam a bit puzzle on how to secure the batt through the front of the firewall. Would like to know how you guys have secured the batt, got to be through the front. Thank you

Bees

JUst double checked. In fact my velcro is on the side wall of the battery box,not the floor.

Don't worry, it still holds it very firmly.

Eventually the weather was ideal to maiden the Cub. Did not go well at all and iam completely baffled by what happened. No wind , did the usual range check, checked all controls for the right deflection and everything was okay. Took off gained some height and gave some right aileron and nothing happened if there was no control at all but managed to land safely by pure luck. Doubting myself did another range check and gave the ailerons a little more movement and tried again but to my surprised would not turn right so gave it some left aileron and she turned rather sharply due to the extra movement i added but once again my luck was in and managed to land it but ended with a broken prop so that was the end off my session. I have built a lot of models in my day and most of the time they have been successful but this episode this afternoon has really got me baffled.

I had one model that behaved like this. You may find that it will turn right if you back off the throttle. If so, try a smaller propeller. A bit more right side thrust might also help but reducing the torque is better than fighting it!

Sorry to hear about your continued problems. Mine is powered by a SC30 FS which is about right, but with all the motor weight up front the cg is 55mm from the wing LE, and that is without fuel. It also has a fair bit of right thrust, about 2 deg.

Aileron travel is: low rate up, 12mm. High, 14. Low down, 10, high 12.5. This is how I originally set it up.

The wing has very little dihedral so should respond to ailerons reasonably well but this is not always the case. You could try mixing in about 30% rudder. A Lancaster for instance cannot be flown on aileron only, you just get adverse yaw and it will not turn. I have done a couple of o/d Cub lookalikes in the past which responded (or not) in a similar manner.

On the maiden of mine it swung left and I nearly broke the stick willing it to straighten up but it did. That was on low rate. I now know the nature of the beast and can fly it with confidence. It was flown at the Buckminster Fly In last year in a crosswind.

I would say that some right thrust would help you. I only have a 10x6 prop. so on leccy you may well be using a larger one which would give more left torque effect.