Valdez Stol Record breaker build blog

I have airbrushed a cote of Cub yellow on the rudder as a test of the paint and colour.

Just as Ferrari’s have to be red, Land Rovers Green ( despite my current one being blue!), Cubs need to be Cub Yellow. Cub yellow is a much disputed colour, but widely accepted that Lockhaven yellow is the correct colour. Using a colour chip found on the internet I converted the code to one that Homebase can use in there Dulux colour paint machines, £3 and I was in possession of a 250ml pot of Lockhaven yellow, well the Dulux equivalent .

For spraying I mixed up some paint with 10% of Floetrol and thinned with Lidl window cleaner to a consistency the would spray with my airbrush, I was pleased with the colour, which looks correct in my eyes, and it flowed and sprayed on well, it’s only one coat so far, it will probably need 3 thin coats to provide an opaque finish, no primer is used, I will finish of with a final coat of Matt clear WBPU to seal the surface.

Rudder hinges

Edited By Tim C on 09/04/2019 14:35:20

ceceb500-aa1b-4a53-b39a-f41abb2230a9.jpegNot a lot of progress this week due to major plumbing disaster, water coming up through kitchen tile floor due to burst pipe in the screed, eeek!

anyway manage to finish of the tail group and get it hinged ready for covering, I do like the mini hinges from Banggood

Edited By Tim C on 13/04/2019 09:13:36

Covering in Polyspan. I use the 25gm version, I have trialled the heavier 35gm type, but concluded no real benefit, this version has a threads running one way as extra strength, this hinders shrinking as is more uni directional, and tear strength is only improved across the material, not much different the other way.

stage 1 is to cut out a piece of material, make sure shines side up, I use a circular cutter, easier than scissors.

tail cover 1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting behind with both building and posting on the blog. A plumbing disaster, bust hot water pipe in the solid floor in the kitchen and a holiday away caused work to stall.

I have nearly finished the wings, and have been working on the flaps and ailerons. I designed a flap hinge which I printed on my ANET A 8, this gives a slotted flap, it will be screwed and glued on final assembly. The pics show the trial version. I used a M2 hex bolt and nut for the pivot.

hinge1.jpg

While progress on the airframe continues, I have been fiddling (and learning3D design).

This is my cartoon attempt at a 3D printed dummy motor for the Cub. It not printed as a single part but a kit of bits glued together. The crankcase is a snug  fit over the motor X mount, and I will sort out a rear mounting tab in due course.

I have still the cooling ducts and inlet and exhaust pipes to do, but they will wait until I got it mounted up on the firewall so I get a better idea of proportions and sizes, test prints of the various parts look promising.3d motor.jpg

Edited By Tim C on 14/05/2019 15:45:38

Tim - are you building your version to the plans at just under 1:6 scale? And are you going to make all your 3D parts available to us? I am getting ready to build one also and am following your progress. I have been following the pictures on your album, very nice work so far.

Edited By Steven Shaw on 14/05/2019 16:41:09

I have posted up a link in an earlier post to a one drive share with the STL files so far, i will add the motor files in due course.

They are to fit the standard version of the plan.

if anyone wants the 123D files to mod the parts I can make these available

If anyone using the 3D printed rib profile, this is not quite as on the plan, I made the top spar vertical so I could add webbing, and the TE is 1/8 rather than 1/4 , the plastic part makes an excellent template to cut the other ribs.rib revision.jpg

As the crankcase came of the printer

cc1.jpg

After rubbing down, 2 coats of Halfords auto primer and 2 coats of dulux airbrushed on, will finish with coat of lacquer. Cylinders just temp awaiting finishing, just stuck on with double sided tape for the moment.

cc2.jpg

cc3.jpg