Another scam? Sinister this time

Geoff S

Advert

I had a scam phone call the other day from "Microsoft" saying that I had a problem with my PC. Well I was at a bit of a loose end at that moment so decided to go along with it!!.

They asked me to look at the PC screen and tell me what was on it. So I said there was a picture of a penguin. He then told me to do some things which I said I had done and then he asked what I could see on the screen. So I said a picture of a penguin! he asked me to do more things that I said I had done and there was still a picture of a penguin! This had taken about 5 minutes and I decided that I had spent enough time so I asked if it mattered that I was running Linux.

At that point he swore at me and called me all sorts of nasty names for wasting his time. So I called him a cheating scammer at which point he cut off the call.

RESULT. Very satisfying!!

Maxg

Posted by MaxG on 03/02/2019 10:49:05:

I had a scam phone call the other day from "Microsoft" saying that I had a problem with my PC. Well I was at a bit of a loose end at that moment so decided to go along with it!!.

They asked me to look at the PC screen and tell me what was on it. So I said there was a picture of a penguin. He then told me to do some things which I said I had done and then he asked what I could see on the screen. So I said a picture of a penguin! he asked me to do more things that I said I had done and there was still a picture of a penguin! This had taken about 5 minutes and I decided that I had spent enough time so I asked if it mattered that I was running Linux.

At that point he swore at me and called me all sorts of nasty names for wasting his time. So I called him a cheating scammer at which point he cut off the call.

RESULT. Very satisfying!!

Maxg

I did that as well, had a laptop running Linux and kept wasting his time. He got really nasty when I said in the end I'm running Linux and said he will find me and target my family. Nasty man. Problem is the Police can't do anything.

Question: do you know how many people have been prosecuted by the authorities and/or leads taken in Eastasia?

Answer: None.

No-wonder they do it, plenty of gains, no chance of arrest.

Posted by PatMc on 02/02/2019 22:05:33:

Sorry Ray, I don't understand your last post.

This is the regulating authourity for premium rate phone services

Thanks.

Yes you are right, they are managing to do something about some cases like this one:

**LINK**

To my mind directory enquiries like 118118 would qualify as a scam, based on their change rates sad

No wonder they can afford those adverts. Some comments on this item make interesting reading (where it all went horribly wrong...)

**LINK**

Posted by Nigel R on 05/02/2019 15:50:09:

You lot have far too much time on your hands!

I won't even give these clowns time of day.

If I'm not busy at the time I quite enjoying wasting the time of the "wirus on your computer, sir" scammers. At least whilst I'm annoying them they're not scamming somebody else, who might fall for the scam!

Best I've managed is 30 minutes. By the time you've got them to repeat everything three times - because you're frightfully sorry, but you're struggling to understand them with their heavy accent. And the difficulty in knowing what "dub-ya, dub-ya, dub-ya" means (well why didn't you just say 'www'?) it's amazing how time flies...

You can waste a few more minutes when they ask you to turn your computer on - because it's a laptop, and, ah no! It's in the boot of the car, parked outside. And when I "return" from getting it I realise I left the power supply there too - now don't go away!

And it's amazing how the postman always knocks to deliver a parcel whilst you're in the middle of a call... and if it's not the postman it's a neighbour...

And, well after 30 minutes I ran out of ideas and told the scammer I knew exactly what he was up to. He disagreed of course, repeatedly. Then reallised he was getting nowhere, swore at me and hung-up! teeth 2