Batt, problem mobile drill

fly boy3

Hi all, I have an old drill that I think is on its way out. It has a 14v nicad battery, and is used very infrequently. It takes about 4 hours to charge then the charge red light turns green. The odd thing is if I switch it off then on again,the charge light turns to red and stays red for hours. Any comments greatfully received. Thanks

Advert

The battery's knacked*.

This is a technical term meaning you need a new battery. wink 2

Probably cheaper to get a new drill with lithium battery from Aldi or Lidl. Although do a search for the drill on ebay to see if there's any replacement batteries at reasonable price.

Edited By PatMc on 31/01/2019 22:32:29

I have the same, a 14v with dead battery. Replaced it a few years ago with a new Bosch as that was cheaper than a new battery.
However, now that I fly, and fly electric, I have batteries and connectors and wiring. It should be possible to use a 4s for a 14.4v drill. The max charge voltage if 12 Nicad is about the same as max for a 4s, but it might be safer using the 4s at 4v/cell not 4.2 max. I should try putting a connector on the drill, then I could use any battery I have anyway. Just now it is snowing and child_nonflyer and child_flyer and I need to be outside!

It's worth trying to get all your cordless tools using the same batteries, therefore seasonal tools like hedgetrimmers get their batteries used in drills etc in the winter. Constant use improves the life of nicads so probably the same with newer types too. But the real advantage is having several batteries available for either tool.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with a Bosch cordless drill, battery pack stopped accepting charge. Bosch replacements were silly money, no-name replacements from Fleabay were a bit better; but simplest solution was to take the battery out of the plastic case and retrofit the battery case with an XT60 plug; now it's much more powerful than before when driven off an old non-flightworthy 3S 2200.