Film covering to repair "alumium" Mustang wing

Steve Dunne

I am currently repairing my 72" Mustang P51D, recently damaged after an engine cut on climbout. All the structural work is done, fuselage repainted ok, but the wing needs additional covering film. The wing is currently covered in what appears to be printed Oracover (YT/ESM models), and simulates an aluminium metal skin.

All that I can find in films is "silver", which I think would be too bright and shiny, and probably a different hue.

I do have a half roll of similar film, maybe 30 years old, which is high gloss but similar colour - I don't remember what colour it was bought as. I was going to apply this and then use a scouring pad to matt off the gloss finish. Sadly, the adhesive appears to have gone off...

Has anyone experience of a similar covering repair - and hopefully remembers what they used? All suggestions will be welcome.

Mustang 1Mustang 2

Advert

Hi Sonny, Solartex is a textured material. To simulate a metal covering I need a smooth film such as Solarfilm or Oracover. The main issue that I need help on is the "colour match" for aluminium skins. Is Silver a reasonable match to "aluminium" flat finish? I am looking for advice from anyone who has used such films - or alternatives.

Steve.

Posted by Steve Dunne on 06/02/2019 14:46:00:

Hi Sonny, Solartex is a textured material. To simulate a metal covering I need a smooth film such as Solarfilm or Oracover. The main issue that I need help on is the "colour match" for aluminium skins. Is Silver a reasonable match to "aluminium" flat finish? I am looking for advice from anyone who has used such films - or alternatives.

Steve.

Ther's been a few posts on here about ali film affecting radio range. I was going to use it on my Pilatus, but changed my mind.

I think most 'aluminium' covering film is actually silver/grey. I have a H9 P47 in probably the same state as your Mustang was (and for the same reason) and I managed to acquire a roll of the correct film when I modified the wing to fit flaps. So look for grey Oracover or even HK film (which is as good IMO - and a lot cheaper) especially if you need to cover the whole airframe rather than patch.

Geoff

The ESM models used to be covered in a clear film and then painted. At least, that is how all of my models have been. When i ordered my P39 and Sea Fury i ordered them with no paint but they still came covered in the clear film. I have no idea what it is, but its bloomin strong and makes a right mess of knife blades.

Anyway a friend has one of these mustangs in the other paint job they offered and i think paint is your best bet im afraid. We used humbrol matt aluminium paint (no 56 i think) and that wasnt a bad match. Fuel proofing it might be interesting but as the wings arent likely to get oily anyway you might not have to. Repairs to my La7 undercarriage done with humbrol have been fine so you might get away with it.

Steve - I have some of the "silver" HK film. They do two versions, so watch out if you do order that... one has a brushed finish, and so one needs to ensure the brushing marks go the "right" way if you use it. I've used the non-brushed finish on the Skywriter I built:20180404_174941.jpg

Impossible of course to tell from the picture whether this will match or not, but I'm happy to send you some samples for colour matching if you like to PM me.

regards

Simon

Hi Roo - the wing has open structure... but thanks anyway

Simon - thanks for the offer, but that is a gloss finish, and not currently available in the UK or EU warehouses.

Geoff - good thought on the grey,

As a first try, I have ordered the Oracover Silver - supposedly satin finish - we'll see what it is like as a match, then report back here. Only needs a small roll for about three square feet of patches.

Steve.