Field Box

Will Anderson

I made one of these -

**LINK**

It is quite good. Only needs a single sheet of 4' x 2' ply, although extra is needed for the drawers.

The one design problem is that the base is only held on by glue joint s. It needs a little reinforcement to hold the base to the upright panels that go up to the handle. But, that isn't very difficult to add.

Advert

Posted by Nigel R on 12/03/2019 11:41:23:

That's a rather neat unit C8.

Yes, it was very well designed by the kit manufacturer from interlocking ply and has stood up to 22 years of regular use very well. I think I gave it a couple of coats of yacht varnish for protection and it still looks quite tidy. Not particularly heavy even with the internal SLA 12V battery. BTW, the Dave Brown 'Six Shooter' pump that I mounted on the outside is almost as old as the box and has never needed a moment's attention.

Re lipo batteries powering the starter, I had problems using 3s, bit of switch spark/weld. It went away when I upped to 4s supply. Cheap direct drive starter, and small geared starter

I put it down to the 3s battery drawing more amps, because it hasn't the power to get the revs up.

That looks like an 1800 3s, but in fairness, any tired or new unit IRO 1500 to 3000 does the job. I favour 4s, same sizes, but not critical. The only difference is , if a regular flyer, do you charge it once a month, or once every 3 months. I do mine to storage charge every couple of months.

I stopped work on my field box and spent a few days thinking about the ideas and suggestions on this thread. Yesterday I was in B&Q and picked up a Stanley plastic toolbox for £10. Today I ordered a 3 cell lipo and a small plastic project case that will be attached to the starter. I will keep and use the 12v SLA battery for a later project, maybe a portable field charger for when I eventually go with electric power. Iv'e also ordered a panel mount AMP meter, a USB rechargeable D battery with holder and a small plastic box to house them. I'll re-use some old speaker binding posts that take banana plugs for the glow clip leads.

Thanks to everyone the the feedback, I'll post some pics as the work progresses.

yes smiley

1/2 gallon fuel attached. I'll probably downsize to a 1 litre jerry can.

Inner tray is a useful 3/4 size

A couple of silicone grommets to protect the radio.

The lid wouldn't close even with the antenna fully down so came up with this solution.

And to keep the lost tray space to a minimum, I used clear silicone to attach a couple of plastic pieces.

So far so good I think.

Looking good Will.....thumbs up

Just a couple of thoughts about the D cell though...

• how are you going to connect a glow lead to it? Maybe a battery box you can put the cell in & connect to the battery box
  • Will it supply enough current? Typically a glow plug will take 2-3 Amps...
  • The USB connection almost certainly won't handle the 2-3A draw from the glow plug.....

A good tip to to put a small cheap ammeter (like this) in series with the plug...that way you know if it's glowing inside the engine...wink 2

Thanks Steve. Iv'e ordered a battery box for a single D cell, I think I called it a clip. blush The ammeter looks identical to the one Iv'e ordered. The USB (5 volt) connection is only used to charge the D cell which is rated at 4 Amps / 1.5v. I don't have a dedicated charger for D cells so I thought it's worth a punt.

I bought one of the commercial flight boxes sold in kit form. Only small but it does the job well enough and is much better than the DIY effort I made many years ago.

Weight is the main problem. Admittedly a medical condition means I can't carry too much these days but luckily our field's parking is next to the pits. Even so, with a 12v gel cell battery, fuel, starter and the various tools, spares and other bits most of us cart along just in case, I still know I'm lifting it out of the car.

Posted by Will Anderson on 12/03/2019 19:03:53:
Posted by cymaz on 12/03/2019 06:44:28:

Nigel R, I converted an old starter to 11.7v lipo. Excellent.

4b611a3c-99de-43eb-b8f1-e9465cef937b.jpeg

Edited By cymaz on 12/03/2019 06:48:16

How many milliamps is your battery cymaz?

Sorry for the late reply....it’s a 3300

• 8 months later...

Old thread, I know, but, I've just tie wrapped an old, puffy, 3S 2200 to my starter - magic. The fuel pump has its own, similarly puffy, lipo. I'm simply carrying two glow sticks to get the plugs lit now. Which means the bulky 12V gel cell is consigned to history.

Next change - remove the glow panel entirely, and convert that end bit to a TX store.

Hi,

A personal cautionary experience as I used to use a puffy lipo on my starter. Used it for weeks and weeks and then it seemed a bit dull, checked it and popped it on charge in the clubhouse as I was the only one there.

Nice day so the clubhouse door was open and after a couple more flights I returned back to make tea and check the lipo.

Odd smell and a very very puffy lipo that had vented one cell on the table. Disconnected and moved to the non combustible concrete outside for disposal.

Too things

1. Be very careful charging puffy lipos even if they are no longer used for models
  2. Best not to leave your lipo in the starter if you store it in your flight box or near the fuel for obvious reasons

Hope this helps