Field Box

Will Anderson

Had a search around the forum and couldn't find much about IC field boxes. As I had some scrap plywood and other materials kicking around I thought I'd give it a go. I copied the design from one that is widely sold in RC shops. It's pretty rough but it's just an experiment that I may make changes to before I take more time to do a final one.

Iv'e still to make dividers to hold the radio and starter in place and cut the 2 main uprights to fit a strong handle but it's getting there....

Advert

Mine is probably much heavier than yours Will but I don't have to carry it as I made a sort of wheelbarrow which it fits on. The wheel can easily be slid off complete with the "forks" and the legs fold up so that the "barrow" sits flat in the car. I only have to lift the field box into and out of the car and when on its barrow there is provision to hold a model securely for starting and I don't have to kneel down when so doing. Originally my starter battery was one from the car which had enough oomph to run my model starter, glow plug and fuel pump. This was later changed to a motor cycle one which was much lighter.

Malcolm

Cutting the corners of the side pieces at 45 degrees (to match the slope of the power panel) will save a few ounces and remove sharp edges, as will tapering the two main uprights almost to a point where, presumably, there'll be a handle made of broom handle or something similar. Further compartmentalisation can, of course, be with thinner ply.

Malcolm, I did start out with a 7ah motorbike battery but it's quite old and probably down on performance, so I opted for a new 7ah sealed battery that's about half the weight. I did consider an electric pump but some research found many are not very reliable so decided on the hand pump.

Allan, I will be cutting the corners at 45 degrees but not totally flush with the power panel. I'll leave them a bit proud to offer the panel some protection from knocks etc.

Doc, I like the idea about alloy tubing for the handle. I think have some in the shed that should be suitable.

Cheers for the input guys. smiley

Edit: now what can I fit inside the tubing? enlightened

Edited By Will Anderson on 09/03/2019 22:42:33

Out in my old shed I have a collection of field boxes. Everyone lighter than the previous one.

I now use a couple of glow sticks, a small starter powered by a 6 cell nicad, a light plastic fuel pump and a 1 litre fuel can. All in a small light box mainly of 1/8" ply. Even lugging that 200 yards is a pain so a very light folding sack trolly helps.

Of course at over 80 one might expect the need for lightness but even people giving nearly 20years have learned that it is a long drag up a gentle slope with a heavy tool box and they need to sit down for ten minutes to recover.

I bet you are looking for lighter alternatives soon.

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/03/2019 08:15:51

You will soon be looking for an old golf trolley to mount this on!

Meanwhile fuel proof all the internal joints whilst still accessable and consider fitting a 'drip tray' under the fuel container to catch spills - maybe the cut off part of a another polythene bottle.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 10/03/2019 08:57:23:

2 Jubilee clips, 1 at each inside end of the alloy tubing Will

Stops the tube sliding out from the box

Ask me how I know why?

Edited By Denis Watkins on 10/03/2019 08:59:25

Did it involve sore toes?

J D 8, Your box looks taller and has more room above the fuel can for the pump. I mav use this in version 2. yes

ken, I was thinking of using a plastic ammo box but didn't think having fuel and electrics in a confined space is a good idea.

I suppose it would be ok with the battery disconnected during transport 

Thanks to all for feedback

Edited By Will Anderson on 10/03/2019 11:18:09

Posted by Peter Miller on 10/03/2019 08:14:48:

Out in my old shed I have a collection of field boxes. Everyone lighter than the previous one.

I now use a couple of glow sticks, a small starter powered by a 6 cell nicad, a light plastic fuel pump and a 1 litre fuel can. All in a small light box mainly of 1/8" ply. Even lugging that 200 yards is a pain so a very light folding sack trolly helps.

Of course at over 80 one might expect the need for lightness but even people giving nearly 20years have learned that it is a long drag up a gentle slope with a heavy tool box and they need to sit down for ten minutes to recover.

I bet you are looking for lighter alternatives soon.

Edited By Peter Miller on 10/03/2019 08:15:51

Peter, at 53 I'm a mere slip of a lad. Hopefully, wisdom will kick in and I'll have a lighter solution before I need a sit down smiley

Bit reluctant to say this if you've just bought a new SLA battery Will but....dump the SLA battery & replace it with a small 3S Lipo to power your Power panel glow driver & use a 3S LiPo (2200 is fine) for your starter (attached directly to the starter).

Less weight, more power....gotta be good...

Personally I'd ditch the Power panel altogether & use either an NiMH glow starter or (better still) a 2V SLA battery like this **LINK** (or maybe the 5Ah version).

More weight saving.....a smaller fuel bottle perhaps? a 1 litre can will get you many flights on that 46 glow motor...keep the bulk supply in the car...

A few years ago the BMFA reported a terrible accident where someone was badly burnt about the face when opening a sealed plastic tool box that had glow fuel vapours inside which were ignited accidently by the electrics ( I hope i remembered the facts correctly and I hope he recovered OK )

Anyway the advice was not to use sealed flight boxes that contain fuel and electrics ...........

Things that I am absolutely going to do to my field box (one day, maybe)

1) ditch the heavy 12V 7Ah gel cel and attach an old 3s lipo direct to the starter motor

2) add some way to hook the starter's lipo back to the glow driver and pump

3) chuck an extra glow stick in

What I will probably do in reality, is use it exactly as it is for years before it falls apart.

box1.jpgNever been a fan of the open style or caddy type box, so for my 40th birthday (22 years ago now!) my wife bought me this field box kit.. I like to keep everything out of sight and closed away when not in use, so it serves that purpose exactly. Stops everything getting wet if caught in a downpour as well. Sliding tops to containers for tools and spares. A nice sturdy product from the now defunct JB Aviation. Would be easy to reproduce something similar with modern laser cutting or whatever, but as far as I know nothing's available.

bo2.jpg