Chris Foss Phase 6 Build

I am not a builder and have spent years flying pre-owned models or models that other people have built for me.

I started last year with a build of a free RCM & E glider plan of a Highside Glider: **LINK**

It flies a little like a brick but in a breeze with good lift the Highside Glider it is very stable and fun to fly.

This year it was time for something else. I have flown 4 Phase 6 gliders over the years and each one I have really enjoyed. My father (Tim Hampshire) built a very nice Phase 6 but with landing flaps. This gave the model really good landing control in tight spaces and this is what I wanted to replicate.

Well I started the Phase 6 build blog about 4 weeks ago and progress is coming along well with the model not far from being covered. The build blog wasn't posted to promote my building skills but maybe to highlight the area's that I have struggled with and how I managed to get over these issues.

I have made some great 'School Boy Errors' along the way and if I ever built another one then I would do so many things differently. This may help others not fall into the traps I have.

Anyway, here is the link to my Phase 6 build blog. It includes lots of text, pictures as well as a few videos.

**LINK**

Cheers

Paul Hampshire

Slope Soaring Sussex Club

Edited By Paul Hampshire on 11/03/2019 13:40:36

Advert

Thanks Steve.

Glad you enjoyed the build blog. I think I just wanted to show that you can build one of these classic slopers with minimal building experience.

As and when she gets her maiden then I will post up a video.

What did you think of our slope soaring blog?

Its all about sharing the love of our sport really.

Paul

Well done Paul!

Very reminiscent of the Middle Phase (aileron wing version) build I completed a year ago as my first proper balsa kit - hugely enjoyable process (both the build and blogging it on here) and a very good soarer despite its semi-symmetrical wing limitations. I did briefly consider a Phase 6 as a follow-on build, or even a Phase 5 from plans, but decided in the end on a Quark 2 slow aerobatic (for which I'll do a build blog on here once I start later in the Spring).

Enjoy maidening the fruit of your own labours!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my maiden flight with my new Phase 6 glider. Very poor visibility on the day. 

Watch the video in full HD!

And another video of me practising those flapped landings.....

Paul

Edited By Paul Hampshire on 11/04/2019 15:06:48

Edited By Paul Hampshire on 11/04/2019 15:08:34

Edited By Paul Hampshire on 11/04/2019 15:11:08

• 2 weeks later...

Had an Easter break in Wales. Took a few gliders including my new Phase 6. Here's a video of it flying in very light lift between 5 - 10mph.

Here is a link to my blog 'Slope Soaring Sussex' where you will find another three video's from our flying at The Bwlch: http://slopesoaringsussex.blogspot.com/2019/04/a-superb-easter-sunday-on-bwlch.html

Edited By Paul Hampshire on 23/04/2019 16:24:12

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I am trying to find a Phase 6 plan.

I have Chris Foss' home number (which is also a fax) but it doesn't answer.

Is there anyone in the group that has access to a Phase 6 plan?

I have built & fly a P5 which is great. Just want a P6 now..

I have attached a pic of my P5 under construction...

Please PM me if you can help. 

Thanks..IMG_0994.thumb.JPG.8b79eccd9c66e0116e2edda6f0302e44.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Removed personal information and inserted request to PM

• 1 month later...