wire rigging

Den Moran

Hi, everyone,

I'm rebuilding the wing support system for a Hobbyking Flybaby (44" w/s), and need to make up the wire support system. The system leads upwards from the axle ends to two bolts through the wing, and these bolts feed wire back to the single fuselage point above the wing.

My problem is sourcing fittings that will carry the wire, (sourcing) the wire itself, and secure it to the fixing points. I know I could make them, but as there are twelve of them (three under/three on top of each wing) I'm hoping they are a manufactured item. The bolt size through the wing is 4 mm dia.. The upper fuselage point is secured by a self-tapper (although I'll probably bolt this with 4mm nylon bolts) .

I don't even know what these fittings are called! Help!

Thanks, everyone, Den, Swansea

Advert

Having looked at a photo of one of these, the rigging is non functional, so dressmakers cotton sheathed elastic will do for the "wire". I can't think of much commercial stuff available, except some of the fittings used for "closed loop" or "pull pull" control systems. Be easier to make your own, as a small model like that will not be happy straddled with a load of heavy units designed for load bearing in much heavier aircraft.

Thanks, everyone. As the rigging is functional for this particular aircraft,, a necessary part of the wing support system, I'll go with the fishing wire et al, and use soldered crimps.

It's the brackets that are key to avoiding all that drilling and shaping. My hands aren't up to too much of that these days! Cheers, Den

I agree about the 'top tip'!

As the four 'v's' come to single points, I've decided just to tension using the 'Spanish cramping' method, i.e. twisting, to take up slack, as I don't want/need the wires bow tight.

As usual, a really helpful response from everybody, cheerio, Den, Swansea.