CAA registration consulation

While Mr Plod may have little inclination to pull your model over with the aid of his ANPR (Aerial Numpty Pilot Recognition) camera, you can be very sure that if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident or a complaint of endangerment, the first thing that will be checked by the insurers and the police is that both the operator and pilot's status are valid.

Quite frankly, statements that I've seen stating that individuals will refuse to register and carry on regardless simply weaken the negotiating position of the responsible organisations. In order to press any case for less stringent (costly) requirements, we must be seen to be generally responsible (as the majority are) and strongly condemn irresponsible attitudes which have no place in aerial activities, whatever the size. We already benefit from the BMFA et al. negotiated exemption from the 400' blanket limit - let's not jeopardise the trust the responsible organisations have built with the CAA.

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 29/04/2019 15:12:02:

I wouldn't go fishing without a license, where's the fun looking over your shoulder dreading a bailiff appearing, same with flying.

Clubs checking Percy, would that involve us little hitlers aka committee men aka anti fun police ? will there be workshops run for it, You're just trying to cheer me up aren't you. wink

Edited By john stones 1 on 29/04/2019 15:12:57

Monthly workshops for committee , tea and biscuits anyone.

I wouldn't go fishing without a license, where's the fun looking over your shoulder dreading a bailiff appearing, same with flying.

Clubs checking Percy, would that involve us little hitlers aka committee men aka anti fun police ? will there be workshops run for it, You're just trying to cheer me up aren't you. wink

Oh my goodness, I'd forgot about the little hitlers we have enough down here as it is. They all go shopping at Asda with the Waitrose shopping bags down south. Dam and blast what fun times to look forward to crook

Posted by Percy Verance on 29/04/2019 15:19:36:

It's being so cheerful that keeps me going John....... Clubs checking/little Hitlers John?  Not so much little Hitler, more Dick Turnip........Tricorn and flintlock are optional.

The best of it is we used to laugh at Yes Minister, but here it is in all it's glory..............

Unfortunately Martin, we've already proved over the past 40 or 50 years that we're a responsible group with a pretty good safety record, but it doesn't seem to have done us much good this time........they're still going to hit us.

...so we need to do everything possible to reinforce that impression.

We can start by encouraging our fellow members or flying friends to participate in the consultation.

I'm making every effort to do so with my club and I hope this goes for at least all the positive contributors to this thread. While I accept that the individual responses won't be read as they come in, sufficient responses should encourage the authorities to at least sample the opinions. The earlier EASA survey feedback certainly showed that they were aware of the main issues raised.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/04/2019 15:39:59

Posted by iqon on 29/04/2019 15:34:21:

Monthly workshops for committee , tea and biscuits anyone.

We'll send to chippy, bring yer flask. smiley

Don't fly drones or like drones BUT this country is now a joke.

How many people have been jailed for carrying a knife in the last? That carries a 5 year jail term

You can be jailed for using a dog to menace.

How about making is law to have mobility scooters insured OR pass a test OR have them limited to walking speed!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I say this country is now a joke.

Posted by MartynColes on 29/04/2019 12:23:30:

I think these guys are friendly to us. See link below to the "All-Party Parliamentary Group on General Aviation" They already challenged the CAA over airspace grabbing and managed to get a change in the law to stop CAA from not consulting properly in future.

They list the BMFA as a sponsor too, so they ought to be listening to us.

I have already written an e-mail to them this morning (no reply yet) but it may be a good idea for as many people as possible to request their help.

There is nothing to lose asking them to look into this problem, they may not be all that aware of it!

See "contact us" in link **LINK**

That's a good spot, Martyn! I notice that one of their "partners" is the BMFA. I wonder if, instead of us all contacting them individually, the BMFA might like to take it up with them? Any comments, Andy? Keith? Anyone?

Had a very bland reply fom my MP today, referring me to a load of government waffle - sorry, "statements" - on the subject. She clearly hadn't read any of them herself.

Ah, well, I wasn't going to vote for her next time anyway!

--

Pete

Posted by Peter Christy on 29/04/2019 16:53:44:

I think these guys are friendly to us. See link below to the "All-Party Parliamentary Group on General Aviation" They already challenged the CAA over airspace grabbing and managed to get a change in the law to stop CAA from not consulting properly in future.

I have already written an e-mail to them this morning (no reply yet) but it may be a good idea for as many people as possible to request their help.

There is nothing to lose asking them to look into this problem, they may not be all that aware of it!

That's a good spot, Martyn! I notice that one of their "partners" is the BMFA. I wonder if, instead of us all contacting them individually, the BMFA might like to take it up with them? Any comments, Andy? Keith? Anyone?

Had a very bland reply fom my MP today, referring me to a load of government waffle - sorry, "statements" - on the subject. She clearly hadn't read any of them herself.

--

Pete

I also wrote to the All Party Parliamentary Group on GA, and within an hour had received an encouraging response from James Shipp; I think they are on our side. He finished by saying "...I would urge you and your colleagues to respond to CAP 1775 to make sure the CAA is aware of the strength of feeling on this issue". So it probably will make a difference, I think.

A.

Am I right in thinking any model under 250g will not need the flyer to be registered?

MIght have to go smaller and possibly even return to electric flying to avoid paying. As has been said on here already, it will soon be well over £16 as there is no way as many people as predicted will register.

Posted by GrahamWh on 29/04/2019 18:29:43:

Am I right in thinking any model under 250g will not need the flyer to be registered?

MIght have to go smaller and possibly even return to electric flying to avoid paying. As has been said on here already, it will soon be well over £16 as there is no way as many people as predicted will register.

With the battery, yes.

Edited By Martin Harris on 29/04/2019 18:46:26

Posted by Peter Christy on 29/04/2019 16:53:44:

--

Pete

The BMFA are using every available avenue to fight this including the APPG-GA.

Please everyone ensure you respong to the consultation though. We need big numbers responding. Every member will be contacted by email over the next few days and there will be something on this in the forthcoming BMFA news too to ensure we catch as many members as possible.

I really worry what this will do to the hobby. My impression is that it is a hobby that lots of people temporarily move away from but come back intermitently. I know I fall into that group- flew at university then stopped for a while then rediscovered my stuff and had a fly and flew for a few years, then stopped for a while, restarted. Having to re-register might well be enough of a barrier and stop people re-starting flying. I also worry it will be a barrier to many to learning to fly.

The silly thing is will have zero impact on those intent on misusing the hobby / technology as they obviously just won't register or will use a hacked registration.

I fear it's just a way of making money out of a minority hobby on a false premise....

Tell the CAA their numbers don't add up, (spotted you had) I told them many BMFA members are LMA members so the numbers are flawed, not to mention the ones they dragged out the ether are unrealistic, told them clubs throughout the Country have opened up to drone flyers, to help educate and provide safer flying sites, we are a part of the solution not the problem, and their actions are putting extra pressure on our hobby.