CAA registration consulation

Posted by gangster on 28/04/2019 11:00:45:

... lets face it in spite of the majority flying RC for half a centurry the BFMA is still a free flight organisation.

What on earth are you talking about? Some of your points have had some basis of sense, but this comment casts doubt on your contact with reality. Do you perhaps resent the fact that free-flight even exists?

I doubt if a few facts will help, but here goes. I've been involved for the past 59 years with the BMFA, including in it's earlier incarnation as the SMAE, on Area committees and on Council . While I dabbled with RC in the 1960s, competition free-flight had far more appeal for me, so I moved on and concentrated on that since then. However, by far the majority of the work I've done and time I've spent (unpaid, of course), has been on RC flying, its effects and its problems. A few examples?

1) The 1977 public enquiry in Bromley, where complaints of RC flying in a local park had threatened all model flying in the borough. I was involved both as PRO then and as a local flyer; it took several days unpaid leave.

2) PR for several Nationals.

3) The Chobham public enquiry.

4) The Croydon Airport negotiations.

5) 23 years spent working towards CCPR and Sports Council (now Sport England) recognition for model flying. It was the competition aspect of our sport, and the man and machine versus the elements part that did it, to the benefit of all flyers. Try being considered for funding without it.

6) Four or five Council meetings each year, 120 miles from my home.

7) Area committee meetings every month or so, when half a dozen clubs in my Area bother to send delegates, and the other 27 seem happy to leave the nuts and bolts of model flying to someone else.

8) Two inquests into RC-caused fatalities.

9) Producing an Area newsletter for a few years.

10) Ah, forget it. I'll just sit back and wait for poor old Percy V. to sling some more mud at Britain's biggest airsports organistion instead.

Advert

Posted by GONZO on 28/04/2019 12:58:39:

I liked the MAIL front page posted by John. So, lots on here are not only volunteering to go on a suspects list but pay for it so that they can feature on the front page when the next scare occurs.

Better than volunteering for a criminal record.

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/04/2019 14:07:13

An interesting comparison with the gun laws in America - countless shootings and no chance of getting guns banned, as the NRA is worth billions, and polititions, senators and business leaders have their fingers in the pies, billions of dollers in weapon sales. The chance of getting a law passed in USA is zero.

The BMFA all good intentions and do a brilliant job, but don't have a trillion dollers at their fingertips. Money talks.

Added to that the Constitution:

The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

End of that argument.

You will be issued with a personal number to be displayed on any model you operate, which has to be visible from 30 cm if I recall correctly.

Therefore if you're flying someone else's model, you could fly with their operator's registration displayed but you need to have your own pilot's registration in order to do so.  I would assume that in the event of the model being apprehended, initial inquiries would be addressed to the operator who would then need to supply details of the pilot, rather like traffic offences?

...if my interpretation is correct.

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/04/2019 15:11:41

Here's a suggestion.

Each club secretary could register to become responsible for all drones and models flown from the field and each model marked with that registration number. Then people could fly a selection of the clubs models (the ones they paid for and "donated" to the club).

This would mean that there is only one "responsible for drone" registration and associated £16.50 fee per club. The pilots would still need to pass the test and obtain a flyer number, but there is no fee for this. Works out at 33p per person for an average club having 50 members.

edit - oh and the pilots would only need to re-register every 3 years.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 28/04/2019 16:00:06

Posted by Gary Manuel on 28/04/2019 15:53:27:

Here's a suggestion.

Each club secretary could register to become responsible for all drones and models flown from the field and each model marked with that registration number. Then people could fly a selection of the clubs models (the ones they paid for and "donated" to the club).

This would mean that there is only one "responsible for drone" registration and associated £16.50 fee per club. The pilots would still need to pass the test and obtain a flyer number, but there is no fee for this. Works out at 33p per person for an average club having 50 members.

Aye and club Secretary could charge the club members £16 for the service. wink

Not sure if the club secretary’s want any more work so that the members can just rock up and fly when they want and the only effort other individuals need to make is to suggest what others should do for them. It’s mot a BMFA thing and not a club thing

Posted by gangster on 28/04/2019 16:08:03:

Not sure if the club secretary’s want any more work so that the members can just rock up and fly when they want and the only effort other individuals need to make is to suggest what others should do for them. It’s mot a BMFA thing and not a club thing

No - it's a CAA thing.

The only work the "club secretary" would need to do is to keep a record of the pilot registration numbers so that he can point any enquirers to the right person in the event of an incident.