CAA registration consulation

Advert

Posted by GONZO on 27/04/2019 23:17:09:

If you don't fly over the winter why register on 1/11/2019????

Good one Gonzo, Why do we have to pay for 12 months everything else nowadays is pay as you go. What about pensioners rates ? We should get a reduction surely !!

Posted by Percy Verance on 28/04/2019 06:53:53:

Absolutely Kim, a done deal. We've simply been sidelined, as we don't/won't feature in the grand scheme of things. HS2, major airport expansions, the need to boost tourism and trade in the wake of Brexit, future housebuilding programmes. Nope, I'm afraid we're stuffed, and they want us gone. Simple as. And Failing Grayling? Yep, this has all the hallmarks of one of his inept foul-ups. Sadly, I think we're all about to feature in the final chapter of model flying as we know it in the UK.......This is but the beginning. 5 years, we'll be gone. And what of the BMFA with it's new National Centre, intended ( they said) to raise the profile of the Sport? Well that doesn't appear to have worked as they've simply been ignored, as have the other National bodies whom represent the sport.

And multirotor retailers? They wont give a toot. They'll keep piling 'em up on the shelf as long as they keep flying off them. And they'll keep getting flown in all the ridiculous most unsuitable places they are now by idiots whom have fewer brain cells than they were born with.

And as John points out above, shafted again with the fee. I guess that's par for the course, as we seem to end up paying more for most things here. That said, the boat kit I ordered yesterday from RBC kits seems reasonable enough at under 90 euros for an almost 3 foot long cabin cruiser. The quality ought to be good if it's as well done as RBC's model aircraft kits. We'll see.......

The boat by the way, is a Vic Smeed designed Moonglow. Once a very popular model I believe.

Edited By Percy Verance on 28/04/2019 07:24:23

Boats will have to be registered next, then trains, all dangerous you know.

Phil. Aeromodeller, boat modeller, garden Railway modeller.....

While brooding over this my mind went back to the Dunblane mass killing.

After that every single hand gun had to be handed in to prevent another such horror happening again. The ban was so complete that our Olympic shooters had to keep their guns in France and travel over there to practice. A bloke that I worked with was a gun enthusiast and had to hand his guns in...took him ages to get his compensation

The trouble is that gun crime didn't go down. Not only that, it was fairly obvious to anyone with two brain cells to rub together that any nutter could get a couple of shotguns, saw them off and commit a similar massacre. Ban Shotguns???!!! Don't be silly! Look at the people who own shotguns and shoot for "sport"

Another thought. A recent report said that Ryan air cabin crew saw a"Drone" from the cabin windows. At 300 plus m.p.h.??!!

I once sat in the co pilot's seat in and Anson, The pilot asked me to keep an eye out for other aircraft. THey were suprisingly hard to see at a bit over 100 m.p.h. from a slow flying cockpit window.

One other illustratioon of the lack of knowledge of the supposedly experts.

Many years ago we had a similar kerfuffle about models and aircraft.

I wrote to the lord in charge of aviation at the time. I know that I mentioned birds.

I forget his name but he told me that birds don't fly as high. The fact that geese have been seen at 30,000 feet was ignored.

The trouble is that the powers that be have the attitude "I have made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts!"

Yes agree with the comments re police priorities etc but we know the law is an ass. With no disrespect to the police and I have a great respect for most who carry out the task but they will always be a temptation to maintain targets which may mean taking the opportunity of an easy prosecution. Add to that by the time a voracious lawyer or the daily mail have finished safely flying your tiny foamy around turns into recklessly endangering the lives of hundreds of people It’s the world we live in

Posted by Percy Verance on 28/04/2019 09:14:53:

Speaking of which, there's an election in about a year or so I think.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 28/04/2019 09:18:57

Exactly! Maybe even sooner - which is why I made the point of writing to my MP, who is very likely to lose her seat...!

--

Pete

I would agree 100% - in addition, the insurers have stated many times over the years that you cannot insure against an illegal act - wouldn't flying whilst unregistered be illegal?

An "off the wall" thought...operators need to register every year but pilots' fees cover 3 years. Could costs and processes be reduced if the recognised organisations register as operators and issue blanket permits, perhaps "their" registration numbers appended with the membership number, to their members?

In the event of an investigation into a numbered model, there would be a clear link to the member.

The initial stumbling box might be in the supposed identity checks but how many false registrations from those responsible enough to register as pilots and association members are realistically likely? Any reckless or sinister operators would simply ignore registration anyway.

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/04/2019 09:39:23

Had the BMFA along with the other representative organisations been consulted/involved prior to this *consultation* the CAA would have been made aware of how completely wrong they've got it.

Percy, the BMFA, LMA, Drones UK and SAA have all been proactively involved (together) and made detailed proposals that have been completely ignored...the CAA/Government appear to be responding to the Great Gatwick Drone escapade fanned by the mass hysteria in the media and on social media. They have eschewed common sense which in these political days seems to be par for the course

I know personally that the guys at the BMFA are all working their socks off to try and make the people responsible see sense but sometimes you an 'only lead the horse to water'. Let's get behind the chaps working on our behalf by every one of us answering the so called 'consultation' with succinct and appropriate comments.