Ripmax ARTF stocks

Advert

It's happened before over the last few years, often around this time, I remember Clubmates hoping to buy them at Weston Park and being unsuccessful. I'm sure the shops will be flooded with them again when the next container arrives from the production in China. Feast or famine.

Many companies not just in modelling but other industries are in a similar vein. Part of this is the impact of Brexit or rather as a consequence of the delay in Brexit. Some organisations built up buffer stocks to cover a period of a few months while others delayed making decisions on placing orders to await what impact on costs Brexit had. I suspect things might settle down by September ahead of the next planned Brexit - oh and there goes summer for another year.

When all else fails DIY - build from a British kit or plan.

In the challenging times in which we live, suppliers can't afford to have vast sums tied up in stock and are gradually moving towards a supply to order or a just in time stock replenishment particularly on larger/expensive items.

Suppliers, Shops etc just don't carry the stock they used to and it's not just the modelling fraternity.

I have also noticed this . There are very few ARTFs around now. I think it might be related to earlier this year when there was a major RC company in financial difficulty. That has probably caused major supply cuts . As Percy says it might be time to get the glue out . Trouble is for many, they don’t have the time. Anyway I have always fancied a clipped wing Chipmunk and the SLEC kit is looking more attractive to me by the day😉

Percy,

What I posted is my opinion based on many years experience within supply chain and service industries. The model industry is no different to any other. If demand drops financial constraints tighten and this action will cause the supplier to review their costs.

Such review could result in a supply to order and/or actually reduce the amount of lines offered. This in turn could mean slow moving items are sacrificed to make way for faster churning more profitable lines.

I could go on at length about the various factors which could affect things but, I think we'd all loose the will to live if I did.

One area wher I absolutely agree with you is if you can't buy it artf then build it.

Happy Flying

After seeing this thread on Monday, I did a count up of HK aircraft models (i.e. not including spare parts etc) stock against what they advertise - it seems a bit concerning to me although I haven't got a benchmark from say a year ago:

UK models listed 96

UK actual in stock 66 (68.8%)

All Global, EU and UK listed 235

All Global, EU and UK in stock 119 (50.6%)

Stocks of micro & Sub-micro aircraft servos is also very poor: -and pricey too.

Posted by paul coleman 1 on 10/06/2019 16:38:45:

I was thinking the same myself david,i am wanting a sig model,in which pegasus models have hardly any in stock,i wonder if the market is on a downhill spiral!!

In the case of Sig kits, they did have a fire in the saw mill on site which maybe the cause of slow manufacture although I thought it was settling down now.

Some good comments for sure and yes aside from Brexit, the ridiculous restrictive registration legislation and of course exchange rates on world trade to the artf (and for that matter any other parts modelling related) it is disconcerting the current state of affairs.

I was at my club's monthly club night last night and we were talking about future meeting chats/fun/knowlede sharing. One of the subjects that came up was 'what about building models from plans?' It was freely acknowledged that a sizeable number of the membership had moved to the ARTF camp, although a number of us were v much still build from plan, kit, own design, and 3D print models. It was interesting as looking at the membership I am possibly one of the youngest members (now approaching mid 50's) and most of the ARTF camp were those of close to, or pensionable age, which is also a sad reflection how we struggle to get younger modellers these days.

Perhaps we should be less worried about getting ARTF's and more concerned about losing the art of building from kit or plan. I am not anti ARTF in fact it is fair to say there some excellent quality models to choose from, but it shows that people are losing some of their modelling skills.

I don't see how Brexit can have anything to do with it.
How much modelling stuff does the UK import from continental Europe?
Very little indeed I think, and it's quite possible, even likely, that trading conditions with non-European countries could be improved without conditions imposed by the EU.

Posted by brokenenglish on 13/06/2019 15:41:57:

Very little indeed I think, and it's quite possible, even likely, that trading conditions with non-European countries could be improved without conditions imposed by the EU.

Will certainly be more expensive given the fall in the pound.

**LINK**

"I don't see how Brexit can have anything to do with it."

Hmm.

Massive uncertainty over future trading conditions will have quite a lot to do with anything that has to cross a border, regardless of origin or destination. Civilian business does not in general thrive on uncertainty. Could be said that other types might do, but I don't think our game really does.

"Very little indeed I think, and it's quite possible, even likely, that trading conditions with non-European countries could be improved without conditions imposed by the EU."

I don't think I can agree here.

Consider, who has a better negotiating position, the entire EU bloc, representing one of the largest trading areas / markets of the world, or the UK, who at the point in time we're talking about, won't be.

Either way, it will take years, and years, and probably more years, of individual negotiations with said individual countries. Until such time trade will be on the worst possible conditions/regulations, i.e. WTO if UK crashes out of EU. In short, we can expect pretty much about everything we buy to be more expensive for a long time.

Mods if I'm drifting too political here then please delete, I'm trying to stay relevant to the low stock level discussion.

Posted by brokenenglish on 13/06/2019 15:41:57:

Oh, dear. Politics.

Anyway, where do you think all the stuff made in the far east goes through to get here? Europe. Europe is the logistical trading hub that we import from. Brexit WILL effect the prices of every modelling item you buy in the form of customs tariffs if nothing else, and these costs will be passed onto the UK purchaser.

Edited By Lima Hotel Foxtrot on 17/06/2019 21:50:54