Switching Brand

The one I like is "only" about £900, but has all the wonderful features of Czech cleverness that just oozes from the range. I would have to win something just to begin justifying such expenditure, but if I could...I would, in ein augenblik.

Martin

Not sure why Stephen paid that much. As I said you can get a 14 for under a grand and that includes the Rx. Considering how good that is,it compares quite well with some lesser makes at that channel count. And a lot of people spend that and a LOT more just getting a turbine. I know what I'd rather have! Much as I love jets.

Martin

Old hat now but having bought a JR DSX9 when they came out and I now have an awful lot of Rx`s including Spektrum and Orange so I am pretty much stuck with it. Futaba is almost universally used by my club mates along with an increasing amount of Spektrum but I just cannot get to grips with Futaba programming. My first 2.4 set was a Futaba 6 ch. but I could not mix rudder and elevator to mix out rolling in point rolls. I could only get left rudder with, say, up elevator and right with down which was totally useless so I soon sold it on. Every one of their Tx`s is different but that also applies to JR and Spektrum.

I have had a Taranis for a long time but still find it difficult. The radio link is, however, superb. Only 8 ch. unless you use two Rx`s or whatever plus there is no battery port and a Y lead here goes against the grain.

Many of my WW2 scale birds use at least 8 ch. and I really need 10 so I got a very cheap Turnigy 10ch. Cheap Rx`s and you do not even need the manual to program it. Telemetry included if you want it but they are no longer sold. Made by the same company as the AT10. (FlySky). Warned off the latter by my LMS though.

It really depends on the sort of model you wish to fly in the future. I would say that if you spend more than £400 to £500 on a set then you are wasting your money.

Posted by Don Fry on 22/06/2019 17:16:27:

So now we have to ask Tony Kenny, has he got 2 grand, and that doesn't get a receiver to go in anything, or the anything. Not knocking Jeti, it has a fine reputation.

But it's not the fodder you shove in a Wot4

Not really got 2 grand, at least not for a while. I like the look of the FrSky especially with the features to cost ratio!

Thank you all for the valuable input! I'll be picking up a new tranny soon, but going with the old meaning of the word

Right. The pleasure of looking at it. Aesthete.

I would rather look at a nice lady.

Driven an Alvis, nothing special. Not mass produced, no quality control, no development budget, overpriced.

Wouldn't mind a Jeti. Perhaps I should do a crowdfunding campaign.

Alvises, like all old cars, are now ridiculously overpriced, but they are hand made by craftsmen ( I refer mainly to pre War examples, although I could easily live with a TC 21/100 on wires.

As for looking at pretty ladies, why not do both?...I do, but not when my dear wife's looking too<G>

Ah well, I could afford £745, but I could NOT justify it. I once nearly bought a TC21/100 for half that and got beaten to guy's door by an American. Nearest I ever got to an Alvis. Bought a Healey instead for £380, drove it home and it never ran again til the day I sold it! For £395. An aesthete and a capitalist, eh? Worthless devil<G>

Martin

Posted by Foxfan on 22/06/2019 17:20:17:

Not sure why Stephen paid that much. As I said you can get a 14 for under a grand and that includes the Rx. Considering how good that is,it compares quite well with some lesser makes at that channel count. And a lot of people spend that and a LOT more just getting a turbine. I know what I'd rather have! Much as I love jets.

Martin

Paid that because that's how much a ds24 carbon line is comes with a rex 10 receiver. I wanted the best of the best that's why I bought it, I also have the turbine as well.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 27/06/2019 19:38:27:
Posted by Foxfan on 22/06/2019 17:20:17:

Martin

Paid that because that's how much a ds24 carbon line is comes with a rex 10 receiver. I wanted the best of the best that's why I bought it, I also have the turbine as well.

Respect. Honesty.

With the background you mention I wouldn't look anywhere other than FrSky.

All their transmitters from the bottom to the top of the range come with the same 16 channels. With another 16 available by using a plug in module.

There's a choice of operating systems.

The one I know is OpenTx. You can download OpenTx companion PC software, on which you could do all your Tx programming before uploading it to the Rx. Companion can be downloaded so you can have a look yourself before purchase.

There's masses of support out there for it too.

If you decide to upgrade transmitters, companion will help your u copy your models from one Tx to the other

Personally, I now do all my programming on the Tx screen.

Check out the prices of hardware too and compare that to other manufacturers.

Morning tony,i used to fly with spektrum,but had nothing but problems with it after six months or so,i now have the horus x10 frsky,excellent quality radio for £350,its a premium set,and looks simalar to the jeti,which is much dearer,but also a top brand,futaba is also popular,but spektrum does seem to have more faults reported than most of the other radios,luck of the draw i suppose.

Just wondering if the apparent trouble with Spektrum is a result of there being so many of them. Our club seems to be almost completely Spektrum. I'm wondering if the percentage of trouble is much the same, just with so many of them that percentage looks like a lot of sets playing up? I hope that's the case. I have a Spektrum that I've never yet used. Mind you, it came to me new, with the trainer switch wire fractured, a fault found for me by a friend and corrected.

Martin

Posted by Foxfan on 28/06/2019 09:19:09:

Just wondering if the apparent trouble with Spektrum is a result of there being so many of them. Our club seems to be almost completely Spektrum. I'm wondering if the percentage of trouble is much the same, just with so many of them that percentage looks like a lot of sets playing up? I hope that's the case. I have a Spektrum that I've never yet used. Mind you, it came to me new, with the trainer switch wire fractured, a fault found for me by a friend and corrected.

Martin

Don't you come on here with your logic and balanced view, you'll get shot down!!smiley

Kim

"Spektrum is a brand that I hear about most often, but I'm also concerned about brand lock in again. Although we also hear about 'compatible' or cloned components"

I have a Spektrum DX6i. Never played up in any way. Reasonably priced, and IMO, good build quality. Spektrum are middle market which (my opinion) means avoiding the cheapest of cheap with the attendant shortcuts, and still retaining good value. Programming is easy. Soon to be replaced with a DX8 G2 I think, because I would like a more capable set - but the 6i has been great value. It's been used for around 500 flights and over 200 simulator hours.

I have a mix of Spektrum, Orange and Lemon RXs. All have been faultless. The Oranges and Lemons I use for foamies.

YMMV.

Starting over I would strongly consider Taranis of some flavour.

Edited By Nigel R on 28/06/2019 10:34:28

Tony

If you've not already decided my vote goes to FrSky based on great value, high quality equipment, telemetry flexibility and of course OpenTx.

Try and have a close look at the Horus or Taranis.

Channels were mentioned earlier, I use 9 on my Wot 4.

Very little difference in capabilities, Martin. There are fewer knobs and switches the lower you go down the price range.

The Horus types have a larger and colour screen.

For me this means that I find it easier to program a Horus direct on screen than by using companion on a PC. That's because the bigger screen means they can fit more on it and it's all easier to read.

For s Taranis, I get on better if I use companion then transfer the setup to the radio.

The Horuses (Horii?) Are generally better built (with more expensive components) Different versions have better (hall effect) gimbals.

Note: the HorusX12 is quite big for a Tx. Ideally you should hold one in your hand before buying. I'd say the X10 is better built inside (like a second generation) and is a more familiar size.

Horus X12- top mounted colour display, otherwise extra switches and sliders, internal aerial, better quality gimbles etc., non-removable battery, has additional external aerial support. Supplied with FrSky's own menu driven operating system.

Taranis - mono screen at the bottom of the JR style case, removable battery, cheaper feel to it (note -er, not CHEAP!). Supplied with an FrSky version of OpenTX

Both have a JR format module bay, both can run OpenTX.

Taranis = original base model

Horus = original flagship model

edit: took to long typing, Chris covered it firstyes

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/06/2019 17:03:46

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 28/06/2019 17:04:27