The demise of. ASP/SC

Dai Fledermaus

Advert

I like Saito, never owned one but have a hankering to. It's a good point as to why you would choose one over a Laser?

Edit: I think Denis has just answered it for me.

Edited By Doc Marten on 08/07/2019 15:13:01

Simples.

Laser don't make radial engines - yet devil

Steve Webb is showing stock of the OS 15 LA, but other than that I recon you cant buy a new glow motor now under a .46 ie the OS 46 AX in the UK.

Webbs are still officially the UK stockist of Enya, but they seem to be permanently out of stock of all but the larger more expensive four strokes.

Enya have a web site which claims it's possible to buy direct from them, but if you check you'll see all of the engines available are " sold out"

Posted by kevin b on 09/07/2019 11:10:04:

It would be interesting to see exactly what engines are available in the U.K. and their prices.

Anybody got a list ?

I was looking at this a little while ago. and have a base list. The problem is some retailers have different prices for the same thing so its not 100%. Also not all manufacturers do all the sizes. I only looked at 4 stroke as it was all that was relevant to me.

If anyone finds better prices and/or availability thats fair enough. I used just engines, tjd and als hobbies for the info below.

Laser         Saito            OS
50                                            £315
60                     £185-204        £258
70      £220                              £379
80      £235        £205-235       £332
90                                            £279
100    £260          £284
120    £315          £296          £496-504
150    £350          £377            £414
180    £369          £414

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 09/07/2019 11:38:16

weston 2 stroke aeros

25, £110

32 special, £125

36T2, £117.42 / 36T2R £142.95 / 36V1 £142.95

52T2, £158.06 / 52V2 £142.74

52T2 Curare special with pipe and manifold £193.81

75A + mini pipe £384.02

91A + mini pipe £405.47

rcworld / justengines prices on OS 2 strokes, not all of these are in stock

I assume the LA are old stock

15LA, RCW - £98.50 / JE - disc

25FX, £199.99 / disc

35AX, £147.98 (out of stock) / £133 (out of stock)

46AX, £129.98 / £132

55AX, £148.50 (out of stock) / £147 (out of stock)

65LA, £147.50

65AX, £179.90 (out of stock) / £172

75AX, £219.98 (out of stock) / £208

95AX, £244.99 (out of stock) / £237

120AX - / £265

160FX - / £294

Posted by Richard Acland on 09/07/2019 22:08:29:

What would be the reason for stopping production. If you look at all traders in these engines they all say out of stock, so it is not as if they were not selling. I have several ASP and SC engines which have been in use for some time. If looked after properly they last for ages.

Richard, the answer is quite straightforward. Reducing demand (for numerous well debated reasons!) and ever decreasing profit margins for manufacturers. As you say, “were” selling.

Or, to quote the song, “Those were the days, my friend....”

As you also say about engines, “they last for ages” so one hopes that fuel supplies will do likewise until personal mortality renders it irrelevant!

For now, I share your pain and dare not repeat my earlier comments, at least not in this thread!

smiley

cant be a very comfortable trading situation for any one who does/did make ic model engines....if you cant get them sold in viable numbers what's the point in making them...…… OS may survive. But I would be surprised...electric is taking No prisoners....

ken anderson...ne..1....POW dept.

It would seem that the once most popular .40 size glow motors are now completely unobtainable new! You could still buy a .46 or a .36 just about but not an actual .40 new. If newcomers don't start on glow then they are less likely to eventually move on to the larger glow motors.........

Hopefully the demise of the cheaper makers will make the survival of the expensive brands more likely.

I think the suggestion that electric is performing a blitzkrieg on all models is rather wide of the mark. the viability of electric all depends on the sizes of models being flown and while anything can be electrocuted the price/performance ratio of large electrics is not very good compared to smaller ones.

At my old club nothing over 50 size flew electric and at my new club i think there is one larger electric model (140 glow size). Most of the other electric stuff is wot4 or smaller in size.

While wings and wheels was the only show i visited this year the flying display was more or less all i/c and turbines.

When you consider that diesel engines are still manufactured despite having been 'obsolete' since the invention of the glow plug i think writing off all i/c engines and bowing down to worship the lipo is a little premature.

Posted by Nigel R on 10/07/2019 11:36:12:

I don't know. Presumably they make a good power source for the ignition module on your 30cc petrol engine Jon?

i use a 1200mah 4.8v nimh. It lasts for hours and i can bury it in the model without concern. No help there for Mr Lipo

I got my first West engine for Christmas last year, an ED 28 diesel. I used to think wrongly that West engines were expensive but after operating this one I realise that I was mistaken and they are great value for money. I intend getting a glow version soon.

As for alternative engines you need to look to the Ukraine. Fora and Profi make high quality engines but at a price. Novarossi are available although there are rumours of their demise

Nothing in the Asp price range but good quality