Field boxes

Foxfan

I have been seeing field boxes at flying sites for years and have never actually thought to ask people...what's in 'em and where do they get them as they all seem very similar. And what is that box of electric tricks sloping on the end?

Is this something else I have to make?

Martin

What's in them? Usually far too much. Tools, glues, spares plugs, props, nuts'n'bolts, quicklinks, tachometer, noise meter - anything and everything that may be needed. As for the electric panel, that would be a glow driver/fuel pump and under that sloping lid would be a power source for the panel and a starter, usually a 12v battery of some sort.

Some people survive with a glow driver, a half gallon of fuel and a chicken stick to start the engine, all held in a cardboard box. Do you need to make or aquire a field box? Up to you.

These days I just keep a couple of hex drives, a battery state meter and a wattmeter in a small bag that lives in the back of the car. My old fieldbox sits neglected in the shed. If something breaks at the field I fix it at home so no spares, no glue at the field. At most I might also take a spare prop and a spanner if I want to experiment with a different size on a new model.

My (recent) experiences with them:

avoid power panels, use seperate pump, glow driver and starter battery; avoid lead acid 12v batteries, had hopeless results, use any 12v-ish LiPo instead, ditto for the starter. Small Cyclon (?) lead acid in a box with an ammeter and a switch, seems to run glowplugs all season on a charge and is portable. J'en starter with bespoke frame and LiPo attached goes weeks on a charge, portable.

Useful to have most things in one place but Bob's right, they can too readily become inclusive of the kitchen sink. Two small drawers for bolts, bands, plugs, tachometer and thermometer etc still useful though.

BTC

I have made a long series of field boxes. each one getting smaller and lighter.

I am reminded of a recent letter in Amateur Photographer which commented that photographers tend to buy loads of camera bags trying to find the perfect one. (Been there, done that too)

The minimum of fuel, a small starter powered by a 6 cell nicad, a glow stick and a spare prop and prop spanner.How big is your tank, how many flights do you make. I find that a litre of fuel is far more than enough.

Perhaps screwdrivers to tighten any loose screws and some superglue for very minor repairs. Any repair greater than that should be done at home.

Travel light.

In my electric flight box is - transmitter, screwdriver with flat and posidrive ends, cell monitor widget to stop me from connecting a flat lipo to the plane, and a couple of hex drivers. A tin (or tins) of lipos travels separately.

Glow box has fuel, starter, pump, 12v boat anchor lead acid, glow driver panel, glow lead, plus clean up kit and minimal toolkit - a couple of screwdrivers / hex drivers and spare plug + plug spanner. I also take an empty valvespout in case of pump failure and a glow stick. It weighs more than enough, even pared down to that level.

Both boxes also contain a large black bin bag and a couple of plasters.

For every other eventuality, the workshop is at home.

Haha! Very interesting replies, chaps. My current club has a preponderance of the sloping ended, large dowel handled boxes in bright, if dirty colours with, yes stickers and various bits hanging out of them. I notice nearly all have the Power panel, yet almost all have a hand wound pump for fuel in and out and stick for glow plugs with a fat single cell on the end. Only one of these people used the power panel for his glow plug and his starter had a battery taped to it as do several others. So, in the end, most seem to be holders of fuel, hand pump, cleaning liquid and rag! Fascinating stuff.

Martin

Edited By Foxfan on 08/07/2019 21:34:00

Different strokes Cymaz, over 40 or so years I got through IIRC 3 power panels, one of them home made in the 1980s. Never could get on with those glowclips with the built in battery. I did eventually end up using a 4S LiFe pack on my starter, but only because it was sitting around doing nothing. Cheap alarm type lead acid 12v 7AH or old motorcycle batteries did me for most of the last 30 years.

I made my own power panel. The switches to drive the pump are simple enough, they're just switches. Sockets for the starter, well they're just sockets. The only bit liable to go pop is the glow driver, I guess. Mine is a circuit I found on the sadly defunct Tony Van Roon website, which compensates for the 12V input voltage going up and down when the starter is used. Works well enough.

If I had to remake the box, I'd forget the panel. Use a hand pump, have a £10 lipo stuck to the starter, and carry a few glow sticks... Keep it simple.

Can’t disagree with the comments above; I still have a power panel but rarely use it. Instead I have a Prolux rechargeable fuel pump, rechargeable glow sticks and a rechargeable Align starter.....however the tools, fuel & spares I carry are used by me and pals on the flightline