Which Servo Sould I Use?

Introduction.

I am repairing my Baron after the rudder pushrod unscrewed itself in flight. This was the first time that I had fitted carbon fibre pushrods and did not realise that you had to secure them in place with locking nuts! blush

bertie 2.jpg

The Baron is a simple 1.55 metre wingspan three channel trainer originally designed for a 15-19 sized engine. I intend to compete with this model at La Coupe Des Barons in September. In this event there are four flying rounds flown in concert with up to nine other models. Two of these rounds are flown close to the ground while the other two, a pylon race and a "fox hunt" require an element of speed. I had planned on fitting an OS 52 FS, this being the largest sized four-stroke permitted in the competition rules but it was damaged in the crash so I've replaced it with an OS 48 FS Surpass.

Two standard Hitec HS 311s are mounted at the rear of the fuselage. When checking the cg earlier this morning I found that the model was tail heavy though it did not seem to fly too badly on the two flights prior to the crash. Not wishing to take a risk, I have decided to replace the servos with smaller ones in order to move the CG forwards.

The Nature of the Problem.

I do not recall having fitted servos smaller than standard size to any of the models which I have built but a trawl through my souvenirs revealed the following:

1. Two Hitec servos: a Hitec HS 81 and a Hitec HS 5085MG.
  2. Five smaller Corona CS-939MG Micro servos bought for some long forgotten project which was never even started.

The Hitec HS81 is rated at 3kg.cm torque at 6 volts with a speed of 0.09.

The Hitec HS 5085 is rated at 4.3kg.cm and 0.13 speed.

The Coronas are rated at 2.5kg.cm and 0.14 speed.

Questions.

1. Are the Coronas powerful enough for the purpose I have in mind?
  2. If I fit the Hitecs, which one should I use for the rudder and which for the elevator or should I buy another matching servo?

Picture of the starters in last year's event for your delictation!

group photograph.jpg

Advert

The 81s are not ball raced and not really up to it in my view. I agree with Percy, the 85s are great servos particularly if you get the MG version, although more expensive. The corona 939MG work well and I have little doubt they will be adequate. I used one as a replacement elevator servo in a 2.4m e-glider. Size is not everything!

I've used Corona servos which seem to perform well but has anyone had problems with mounting lugs breaking? I ended up making some aluminium frames for some of mine which I epoxied to the case tops.

img_1131[1].jpg

ED - yes, 2mm Nylocs are available although well tightened plain nuts seem to work well for me - they come with larger AF dimensions than standard nuts.

Edited By Martin Harris on 14/07/2019 12:14:38