Phil Beard's F-86 Sabre Build Blog

Well I went and got the parcel from the Post Office today which they'd tried to deliver on Wednesday.

The contents of the box look great and will look at the plans later to make sure I've ordered everything so that I can start building on the 1st Nov.

Looking forward to my first PSSA Mass Build.

If someone can advise where I can get colour schemes that also include the wings that would be great.

All the Best

Phil Beard

img_2154.jpg

img_2155.jpg

img_2156.jpg

img_2157.jpg

Well my wood order has arrived today that includes what I'll need for the F-86 Sabre and also some of the accessories. Just waiting on the Canopy and Turnigy 9018MG Servos and some more piano wire and brass tube and I'll have everything ready and waiting for the 1st Nov start.

All the Best

Phil Beard

img_2158.jpg

img_2159.jpg

Hi

goodluck with your build ... here's my F86 Sabre ... Free Flight Veron (Phil Smith) F86 Sabre ducted fan (TD 049).

Seriously though , where do you get your balsa from and how much control do you have over asking for specific grades etc. I'll be starting my Canberra soon but will be following you guys on the Sabre builds very closely.

Goodluck

Mike

105f8c2e-e8f0-4c31-8459-80327cf36e75.jpg

Mike,

This batch if wood I bought from SLEC UK and you can request Soft, Medium and Hard for the different sheets.

Strips of wood will be cut from the sheets for the different required sizes using my Proxxon KS230 Circular Saw.

Hope this response helps.

All the Best

Phil Beard

The final parts are starting to arrive now with the Turnigy 9018MG Servos, brass tubing. mylar sheet and piano wire arrived today. The canopy should hopefully arrive tomorrow or the day after and then I'll have everything ready for the 1st Nov build start date.

Don't worry I don't need all 8 servos for the Sabre, thought I'd use these also on my current Vulcan Bomber build also.

All the Best

Phil Beardimg_2161.jpg

img_2160.jpg

Final piece required for the F-86 Sabre build arrived today. The Canopy looks really good and something I've never made before so really helpful having a supplier for these.

Roll on the 1st Nov for the mass build to start, now i've everything in place.

All the Best

Phil Beardimg_2162.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mark,

I've not chosen a paint scheme for my Sabre yet. Have to say some of the really nice schemes have already been chosen by others, so I thought I'd keep quiet and just get it built and then choose near completion and tuen up on the day and give people a surprise.

What I was going to ask. It what type of modelling spray gun and compressor below have used and how difficult is it to use them.

All the Best

Phil Beard

I used rattle cans on the A4 mass build Phil; from memory three can. But word of caution, do NOT spray indoors if married...…. blush

An airbrush can be used for the detailing. (I've just bought an Iwata - used off 50 litre compressor,(low pressure).

Looking forward to seeing your blog develop Phil.

Ade

Ade,

Thanks for your response. I've got a Airmaster Tiger16/1010 3HP with 100 litre capacity which can give 14 cfm, I wasn't to sure if that would be far to much for the detailing work as I was going to do the majority of the first coat using the spray gun I've got for use with this.

Did you need any connectors that reduce in size. I know I will have to reduce the pressure.

All the Best

Phil Beard

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Toby,

I'd not picked up on that you'd picked that colour scheme.

Are you based in the UK or intend to meet at the Great Orme, if so I may change to another scheme.

Still a lot of time to change chosen colour scheme as we need to build these starting tomorrow.

Vulcan going to be put on back burner for abit now, but I've managed to install all the Aileron and Elevators servos into wing. I'm sure I'll get some time to do bits whilst waiting for glue to dry on the Sabre.

All the Best

Phil Beard