Small engine tick-over

Roger Dyke

Hi All,

I have an old Enya 15 III glow engine which is in very good condition with decent compression. I have recently had it all apart, cleaned everything and reassembled. Fixing it to the test stand and running it I have made the following observations:-

Prop - 9x4 Fuel - 5% Nitro (9x4 prop is for intended use)

Max revs - 10400rpm Tick-over - 2900rpm

Question: What would be the lowest reliable tick-over speed you would expect? I have heard people claim 2000 - 2200rpm but if I reduce mine down to anywhere near those figures I cannot rely on that it won't quit.The tick-over I have is solid and even. If I reduce it more it is still stable and even, but occasionally it will quit. It may be after a few seconds or it may be a couple of minutes but it will definitely quit. I have very carefully tweaked the settings but cannot improve from the figures I have.

Am I missing something, or do smaller engines warrant slightly higher tick-overs?

Advert

There are loads of variables but in general about 3k is reasonable for an engine like that on 'normal' props. Fit a big heavy prop and you might get down below 2500 but why worry.

This is something that crops up often when discussing petrol vs glow. Some use 800 or 900rpm idle vs 1800 for a similar glow as a pro for petrol. My question is why? If the model wont trundle forward on its own at 1800 rpm then any lower than that is of no advantage at all. Its a similar story here. If the idle you have is well suited to your purposes then dont worry too much about it

John, JD8, Jon, and Denis,

Thank you all for your valued replies. It looks like I'm probably on the money then. That's good news.

Denis: I am using a 9x4 instead of an 8x4 to try to keep the revs and noise down. It also appears permissible on the manufacturers instructions. I remember years ago using the engine with an 8x4.

PatMc,

Many thanks for the link. I've had a look and the figures quoted are in general, a little lower than mine. But as the engine in the review is probably a newish one with tighter clearances and slightly better compression than mine I think that my figures are probably okay.

Edited By Roger Dyke on 03/09/2019 17:45:09