Ashbourne 2019

Advert

Helloooo

well it is. ON. Charge up pack your toys and get over

food ordered, cheff booked. Same setup as before gates open 8am breakfast from 9 ish flying starts at 10

so if you are not on list don’t panic we have space and you will have a good day

all flying off the peg all we ask is that like types fly together ie elec ww1 ww2 etc,

i am bringing a glider tug should anyone need it

will post access details for any newcomers

see you all Sunday

chris

As promised

for all especially all you first timers

how to find us

post code is DE6 1LR

address is

Ladyhole Lane Ashbourne Derbyshire

you will turn into this lane off the A52 you then pass the thatched cottages on the left proceed to the second set of double gates in the airfield perimeter fence,they are at the end of the old runway, if you are after 10 am then the gate may well be locked with two locks the one you need to open is the small 3digit coded one code for the day is 109 please put it back on properly after you’re in

if yo get to a large holiday complex on your right along this lane Ladyhole House you need to turn around

see you all sunday

Thanks for the photos, Martyn. It was a bit on the chilly side but it was good to meet and have a chat with you and a few regular visitors/flyers. As usual, for me, Gordon's Tiggie (G-ACDC) was the model of the day. I suppose biplanes will always be my favourites but your Chipmunk is very impressive, too.

Thanks to all who turned out for the postponed event.

Geoff

Hello All

post event chatting to various people trying to workout why the attendance dropped dramatically this year, quite a few on list missed it, which meant that for the first time ever we made a loss on the day, Cheffy John and myself, but mainly john finances the food, not the club, this is the main reason for a list of peeps before hand so we can purchase the food accordingly, we went home this year with lots not eaten,

So the club sec asked me "is it the time of year" should we be looking at earlier date, now this would mean early in year ie May or June,

should it be a fly in rather than a scale one,

what about a warbirds scale day ...

all these have been suggested in past but i personally like the scale day as it is something a little different,

or is it time to call it a day do folks not want to travel so much anymore,

so thoughts please,

one last thing

my personal thanks to John the Cheff for his efforts without him doing the catering bit it would not happen,

thanks to Geoff for the gate duties,

Richard for the loan of the genny,

and once again thanks to all attendees hope you all had a good day

chris

Chris I didn't come this year but then I didn't put my name on the list.

Personally I'd say "steady as she goes". It's been a lovely event when I have been able to come. Not too tightly specified to one type of model, marshalled in a very relaxed manner, loads of unusual models to see and folk to chat to etc etc. The food has always been a big part of the attraction too.

I'd guess you suffered the double whammy of the postponement and the cold weather. I wouldn't read too much into a one off blip in numbers.

Maybe next time push a bit harder the fact that asking folk to sign up is about numbers for catering and keep asking folk to let you know in good time if they know they're not coming? It's a hard one to balance, I know.

Chris

My apologies for not attending.

The postponed date put me in conflict with my grandson birthday. I had intended to come as an 8 year old really does not need to "gandpa" on his birthday when his friends are invited.

Batteries charged and planes prepared (including a new one) but at the last minute we were all invited to his birthday lunch and cutting the cake.

I know with my light weights I have a vested interest but in the autumn there is a better chance of calmer weather!

I do hope the event can continue.

Edited By Simon Chaddock on 24/10/2019 15:51:20

I think given the time of year and with that can come iffy weather, particularly a good breeze or crosswind it may be a bit hit and miss, particularly if travelling a distance to what was the RAFs highest airfield.

One suggestion is to move the event to a different time of year.

Another option may be make it a general fly-in rather than scale. However with that comes it’s own challenges in ensuring that the event doesn’t become a showcase event and end up losing its relaxed and ‘free fly’ type atmosphere for all modellers.

I went, didn't have food, but had tea, not very keen on Oatcakes(probably as I wasn't from S-O-T, not brought up on them, anyway, hopefully that should be known by now. Thing is I don't like Cheese, Mushrooms, Bacon, Oatcakes, and don't have bread, oh, dear, I'm a fussy so-and-so aren't I..?smiley

so I took my own food, I reckon to people who like oatcakes they gave the thumbs up, but for some reason I can't stand the things.

Great day, got a few flights in, but as I said, I felt rusty, not confident at all, though the cross wind didn't help.

look forward to the next one.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 24/10/2019 18:49:25:

I went, didn't have food, but had tea, not very keen on Oatcakes(probably as I wasn't from S-O-T, not brought up on them, anyway, hopefully that should be known by now. Thing is I don't like Cheese, Mushrooms, Bacon, Oatcakes, and don't have bread, oh, dear, I'm a fussy so-and-so aren't I..?smiley

so I took my own food, I reckon to people who like oatcakes they gave the thumbs up, but for some reason I can't stand the things.

Great day, got a few flights in, but as I said, I felt rusty, not confident at all, though the cross wind didn't help.

look forward to the next one.

Maybe we could have a oatcake event? 😂💪 They are moorish!

One of my favourite meetings of the year but didn't manage to make it this time unfortunately. Original date clashed with the last PSSA meeting of the year at the Orme, Saturday was excellent but like back home the weather was awful on Sunday. Unfortunately we had booked a canal trip for the following Sunday which meant I missed the re scheduled date too.

Love the scale format, the models flown and the oatcakes. Don't mind the date or weather. Very nice to have the option to postpone for a week if the conditions don't play ball.

My only gripe, if you could call it that, is that the last few years it's clashed with the PSSA meeting but fortunately postponed to the following Sundays so I didn't miss it in the end. But that probably only affects me?

Look forward to it every year though. yes

I have only been once, this year, and thoroughly enjoyed the all scale format. IMHO this makes it special. I made a special effort to get my Chippie flyable finished just for this event. If it was just a general Flyin it would have less appeal to me. Already looking forward to next year. If you bring the date earlier then you will be in direct competition with the multitude if other events that occur in the late spring and summer.

I would recommend still to keep it a "Scale Fly-in" so it doesn't get confused with a normal fly -in. There are so many scale models out there - and it is nice to see them more instead of just wall-to-wall 3d models, which is still ok, but not all the time...

Edited By Paul Marsh on 26/10/2019 16:34:05