Miss Deeds or 1/4 semi scale Cassutt

Advert

Nearing the end of basic construction.

wp_20190510_14_11_11_pro.jpg

The next bits are the time consuming end of things. Sorting out Lipo storage, fitting servos and linkages. It is after fitting all the gubbins that it becomes clear if lead is needed. The plus side is the wing area is generous.

For power I will be fitting a Turnigy D3836/8 motor, running of a 4s Lipo. I know from previous experience that these motors are good for 480 watts. I also have one!

With this model there is space to get stuff in, the PM small Cassutt was a squeeze as an electric.

Edited By Erfolg on 26/09/2019 15:22:37

No flying today it would seem. At least the weather was not to bad yesterday, and i got into the garden.

wp_20190405_10_06_24_pro.jpg

wp_20190405_10_07_53_pro.jpg

These pictures show the relative size of both PM Cassutts.

wp_20190929_11_25_47_pro.jpg

I am running the Cassutt on 2 *4s *2200 Lipos "Y" leaded together. The convention general term is a 4s * 4400,

The first flight has the CG @ 20% ahead of the 25% that Pete has on the plan. This is to be absolutely sure that there will not be any pitch issues. The small Cassutt was flown @ 30%, my test pilot has never forgiven me. relocated at 25%, it is a pussy cat. Being small I never let it get far from the field.

Yesterday there was a brief weather window, in that there was little wind , nor rain. It did not last long however.

The Pm big Cassutt has now had its first flight, flown by an experienced flier, who frequently flies at model air shows, also flies jet, ducted fan and those very large aerobatic model aircraft. In short much more accomplished and knowledgeable flyer than myself. My usual pilot not being available whose experience is towards larger scale models, schedule aerobatics and scale gliders.

Onto the the Cassutt, the model has more than enough power to get of our grass strip. Flies true. Accomplishes vertical climbs without screwing out or needing correction, the stall has no wing dropping, with the forward CG is a mush.

At the 3 minute point the model lost power, to the extent that the landing was dead stick. Again not a real problem, other than the lack of height at the time. The model made the strip without any excitement or poor behavior.

The dead stick came as a surprise as a conservative estimate in excess of 8 minutes had been made (by me) with the timer set at 6 minutes.

Also the model spent much of its time at half throttle, maintaining a respectable speed.

At home a check of the Lipo charge indicated that there was circa 70% not used.

In most aspects the first flight was a success, in that the model is of a really good design. However there is a power train issue, not relating specifically to the model, in all probability. Further garden testing will now commence.

Edited By Erfolg on 03/10/2019 14:08:34

Edited By Erfolg on 03/10/2019 14:09:19

Erf, sounds like an overheating problem.

You might need to add a lip to the cooling exit hole to encourage the flow, or similar.

My midwing Aerobat suffered this same issue (although no cutouts, the ESC was simply quite toasty when I landed and tried putting a finger on it) - the cooling exit hole was underside of fuselage just behind wing. I put a simple ramp on the inside to encourage more of a venturi effect, which solved the problem for me.

Good to hear the positive flight report. My dad has just started building one of these.

Edited By Nigel R on 03/10/2019 17:15:24

Well Nigel, you are so right, go to the top of the class.smiley So right in fact that the motor burnt out at approximately 4 minutes of static running at full power.

Ah, the small of burnt Shellac, it is almost artistic, the glint of copper amongst a sea of black.

wp_20190525_11_15_02_pro.jpg

Now this affect is beloved of up-cyclers, normally done with a poker that is heated to red hot i am told. In this case just the application of electrons.

The problem was due to a cowl that had both an inlet and outlet, unfortunately there was a built in blockage in the middle.

As the model carried a chunk of lead behind the motor to obtain the 20% CG, a heavier, more powerful motor has been purchased..

wp_20190530_10_06_24_pro.jpg

This the initial mounting of the motor and lead.

wp_20190530_10_06_43_pro.jpg

This picture shows some of the lead having been moved into the cowl. Far more significantly the passage into the cowl has been completed, previously a silly boy forgot to make the passages.

wp_20190530_10_25_10_pro.jpg

To ensure that the motor actually benefits from the air movement, a baffle has been inserted in the cowl, with is intended to be a minimal gap.

The set up was run for 6 minutes on the ground. No direct measurement of the motor was possible, without removing the cowl. An indirect means of estimating was substituted of grasping the ally spinner. It was pretty much stone cold.

The model has another outing again in a weather window. Flown by the second test pilot. His estimation was that the model was a pussy cat. Not lacking in power, achieving a short take off run. Stall, non existent, good roll rate, combined with harmonization of aileron to elevator, that rudder is not needed in turns. After 6 minutes the model was brought down for a good landing, This was both a reflection of the model and pilot.

The model now pulls 700w at take off.

For the moment I am repairing another 10 year old model. It is my intention over the coming weeks to take some more data and finish the model decoration. Until then, there will be a break.

• 3 months later...

It doesn't seem you can even buy the plan from Sarik. I wonder why? The back issue of RCME Oct 19 with 'free' plan seems sold out too.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to buy just a set of wing ribs at a reasonable price for all these RCME designs? Most of us don't need the whole kit of lasercut parts but just the wing ribs would suit me.

Very nice looking build Erfolg and good to hear she flies well. yes

Sarik Hobbies do sometimes seem a bit random regarding which models they decide to produce CNC parts for. A case in point being 'Sssshhwept', featured in this months RCM&E - a vintage rudder elevator model! I am surprised they don't even have the plan for Miss Deeds but I am certain that a request on this forum for one will be productive for any budding builder.

An email to iGul for some Miss Deeds ribs may be fruitful, although knocking out a set of ribs for a parallel chord wing is not so arduious, surly?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/01/2020 20:17:23

Posted by MaxG on 10/01/2020 16:05:28:

Is there a laser cut kit for this? I am just feeling a bit idle and also I do like the fit of the laser cut stuff compared to what I usually produce.sad

TIA

Maxg

Since Sarik does not seem to be interested you could ask SLEC to cut your parts out. They do an excellent job

Kc, a set of precut wing ribs, for a Cassutt? I do not believe it!

Being serious, the wing cannot be simpler.

The big Cassutt must be amongst the simplest models to build, as drawn by PM. It only becomes a tad more challenging, when making the the Fuz, a little more scale like. That is wider and tumble home on the bottom of the Fuz.

Personally it must be a No1 on the build list, for both simplicity and flying.

• 1 year later...

I am running a RC plane builders and flying class at our local school and we use the RCME Magazine for all ours plans and tips. One of the students settled on the Miss Deeds plan due to its good looks. I think he did a great job for his first build (student is 12). We are hoping to maiden it this weekend if the wind dies down. This build thread has been most helpful. If it is a great flyer I may increase the scale and build one myself. 

miss deeds.jpg

miss deeds1.jpg

• Like 2