Club Mower.

Advert

I'm not surprised members are moaning if you need an Allen Scythe to cut the strip. Its a piece of agricultural/ horticultural history designed to cut tall grass for haymaking etc. If I remember correctly it still leaves a stubble about a couple of inches long. Hardly the bowling green that most people wan to fly from, although dancing might be a possibility.

Posted by Martin Dance 1 on 18/09/2019 12:41:08:

I'm not surprised members are moaning if you need an Allen Scythe to cut the strip. Its a piece of agricultural/ horticultural history designed to cut tall grass for haymaking etc. If I remember correctly it still leaves a stubble about a couple of inches long. Hardly the bowling green that most people wan to fly from, although dancing might be a possibility.

Oh dear, having a bad day are we ?

I guess models ain't the only things flying over your head. thinking

Needn't end up with a scrap man, but useless for close cropping. However it will be good for the pathway out from pits to patch or where you park your cars.

I restored used one once to cut the sides of a Fenland ditch, but it sideslipped in to the ditch at the same time as losing all throttle control, so off it went cutting underwater reeds until the fuel ran out as it was too heavy a slope to get it back! Lovely old machine though.

Martin

Used one of those in the mid sixties when I was 16. Never saw another until I went to the Pallot steam museum in Jersey about three years ago. Did a good job cutting the field grass down the drive to the manor house where we lived at the time. Didn't own the place , my dad was the gardener and I got roped in occassionaly. A bit heavy to turn if I remember correctly, for a 16 year old.

John

Posted by Don Fry on 18/09/2019 15:46:04:
Posted by gangster on 18/09/2019 13:01:35:

Ah the dear old Allen autocythe brings back great memories

Memories of an erotic nature? Tell more, we won't contact the Sun.

Interesting Don ! Still trying to puzzle that out, I am wondering if your mind works like that of a chap I used to work with. One example was when we were issues with some very large and useless soldering irons for heavy wiring . They were rubbish didn’t get very hot, the bits fell out, the handles melted and the bits disintegrated. My mate after struggling then suddenly declared to the boss. “ These things are like my sex life”. A strange comment even from him We were brave enough to ask why “ cos it looks like it ought to be better than it is.

Gangster, cheers, the tears have now stopped. As I get older, as a semi retired sex God, my mind tends to rest on the cerebral side of the universe.

Anyway, it's all displacement activity, as I await the the important activities starting soon in Japan.

Edited By Don Fry on 19/09/2019 09:51:50

The same guy that wanted some new protective clothing. For some reason he was at odds with the boss and the awkward boss would not get him any. After a lot of badgering the boss sent him a pox doctors white coat which was no use to him. My mate got a bottle of red ink and made it look like it had been worn by a disastrous surgeon. He wire it to a team meeting but unfortunately our meeting had been moved to the board room and not the conference room. So wearing this coat he stumbled into a serious meeting of a lot of very senior managers. Sorry to the op if we have hijacked the post but I guess it can be brought back in line easily. I will try to find the picture of me using an Allen scythe with my coat trailing behind me

Sad to see the passing of these old machines, they disappeared quite rapidly when some genius started recycling them as self-propelled 'squeegees' to push the byproducts of bovine digestion ( or slurry ) ( or poo for the initiated ) out of the collecting yards and the passages between cow cubicles. Still hard work, but 10 times easier and quicker than the manual alternative. In good order an Alan Scythe fetches good money when they (rarely) come up for auction - and definitely won't be mutilated - it'll get TLC to the point of looking almost factory new and only brought out to be proudly exhibited at agricultural shows alongside the standing engines and the vintage tractors. 

Edited By Old Geezer on 20/09/2019 05:35:17