The Gov't, CAA, BMFA & UAV legislation thread

Nigel R

Posted by Steve J on 25/06/2020 16:01:45:
Posted by Martin Harris on 25/06/2020 15:41:27:

I can't find that statement Steve.

The article has changed since I read it this morning when it looked like this bmfa.jpg

I am not surprised they changed that wording - whoever wrote it probably got a stern telling off! Always write with your target audience in mind...

Edited By MattyB on 26/06/2020 10:08:53

Advert

Let me throw a stone in the water and cause a few ripples(so unlike me). The treasurer of the club I belong to recently posted on our Facebook page that he had received a refund, from the BMFA, of all members registration fees(£9/per member) that had been done via the BMFA. He stated that this was due to the collapse of the registration scheme.

COMMENTS??

Posted by GONZO on 26/06/2020 11:53:26:

Same here Jason, got myself a ZOHD Dart 250g and a ZOHD Drift(sub250g). Interestingly people are reporting 90 min flying time with the Drift using 18650 3500mAh cells(2)

I was aware of the dart, but had not seen the drift before. I may well pick one of these up for sorties closer to home....yes

Posted by GONZO on 26/06/2020 11:28:55:

Let me throw a stone in the water and cause a few ripples(so unlike me). The treasurer of the club I belong to recently posted on our Facebook page that he had received a refund, from the BMFA, of all members registration fees(£9/per member) that had been done via the BMFA. He stated that this was due to the collapse of the registration scheme.

COMMENTS??

I have been looking in to this, it's an admin error from the office.

• 2 months later...
Posted by Steve J on 15/09/2020 10:45:03:

The French association have sorted out a supplier of electronic IDs for people flying at sites which are not exempt.

9g and 40€.

**LINK**

Translation...

"The federation launched a call for tenders in the spring to provide licensees from clubs not exempted from electronic reporting with devices from the end of the year. A condition in this call for tenders was to provide all model aircraft manufacturers with the same commercial conditions.

The call for tenders has just been finalized and the company NAVEOL has been selected to provide 1000 warning beacons as a first step and also to offer them to model makers. The beacons will be certified in accordance with the decrees of 2019.

NAVEOL will offer all model makers the 9 g device at 40 €.

Even if the objective defended by the FFAM, since 2016, of having these devices at a lower price, has not been achieved, we can be pleased to see them arriving on the market at reasonable prices."

IF the beacons are compact enough, have minimal power requirements and can be easily moved from model to model (i.e. we can register a device against our pilot ID, not a specific model) then this could be a workable for flying from public access sites. My concern is that is rather a long line of ifs, and I think it is highly unlikely they will all be met on day 1. Certainly being forced to fit register every aircraft and fit a device emitting that aircraft's UID would probably represent a step too far for many (probably most) of us, resulting in widespread disobedience (let's be honest here, Police Officers are not exactly common in slope soaring hotspots so enforcement action is incredibly unlikely).

Posted by Steve J on 15/09/2020 11:24:50:

Posted by MattyB on 15/09/2020 11:11:24:

IF the beacons are compact enough, have minimal power requirements and can be easily moved from model to model (i.e. we can register a device against our pilot ID, not a specific model) then this could be a workable for flying from public access sites.

9g is the same as an Aerobtec GPS.

Yeah, if it was just a simple GPS sensor that was registered to a pilot (not a model) then I have to admit it wouldn't be too bad. Let's wait and see though; with everything going on it's clear this has slipped way down the list of to dos Boris' crew. l've no doubt our esteemed public servants (whichever colour they are by that point) will find a way to make it as expensive/complex/minimally effective as possible once we finally get to the point of implementation...