CAA BMFA

Posted by Ron Gray on 08/11/2019 18:56:41:

I don’t think that that is correct Gary, in fact we do not yet know what is going to happen next June. All we currently know is that exemption from the CAA test only lasts to June, so it is conceivable that those with the exemption will have to take a CAA test next June.

You know what?

I almost did the test the other day just for the hell of it - in fact, I will.

Back in 20 minutes or so.

Well that was a joke.

There is absolutely nothing to worry about. I passed with full marks. A few of them I did a quick check against the "answers" that are pointed out at the start of the test. I didn't instantly recognise some of the answers but they were all a case of eliminating the stupid ones and going with the common sense one.

I'm not going to post any of the answers, but this was honestly the hardest question - because I had to lie when I gave my answer as I only wanted a flyer ID and not an operator ID, which I'll get at a later date, either through the BMFA or directly with the CAA.

08-11-2019 20-55-02.jpg

You need to give a genuine email address which they verify by sending you an email before you start. You then obviously need to give your name and address at the end so they can send you a valid certificate.

08-11-2019 21-12-43.jpg

A few boxes to tick - presumably for legal reasons.

08-11-2019 21-20-01.jpg

Then you are given a Flyer ID. An email is also sent with Flyer ID for your records.

08-11-2019 21-21-28.jpg

I don't know what the fuss is all about.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 08/11/2019 21:30:49

Posted by Ron Gray on 08/11/2019 21:37:29:

Snap! As SteveJ has said, why are the BMFA putting themselves forward to register us, it’s very easy and straightforward on the CAA website.

I'd imagine that there are two probable reasons Ron.

1) As a service to BMFA members making it a one-stop shop where members renew their BMFA membership, register as operator and, if needed, take the test.

2) So many flyers appear to be terrified of undertaking a test under the CAA that it may cause less anxiety if it's done under the banner of the good old BMFA who most regard as being 'on their side'.

I don't see it as 'putting themselves forward' so much as trying to reduce the intimidation factor for those, shall we say, less adventurous members.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 09/11/2019 10:46:46

You can see where this is going. As we said before, what'll emerge will be effectively a model aircraft register made up mainly from members of the national associations, given the expected declining or static numbers of recreational drone users once the craze burns itself out. I look forward to a FOI request in a couple of years time to gauge the figures and estimate the number of drone operators on the books given the known number of model flyers from their associations' published numbers. How many over 250g drones have been sold on-line and in the high street in the UK over the last few years? Hundreds of thousands certainly. will the registration figures truly reflect that?

Wait until the legislators really get the bit between their teeth and start to include elements of full size flying regs on model flyers. Why shouldn't they? Choose from perhaps health checks for pilots, minimum numbers of hours to be flown annually to retain currency, flying time log book to be kept, maintenance inspections on all models and so on and all for a nice fat annual fee!

It's all quite feasible for us to be required to comply, given the right pursuasive presentations to government from those who fancy making a name for themselves, either here or in Europe.

Edited By Cuban8 on 09/11/2019 12:46:29

Well, it might go that way...…. or it might be that in 12 months time we still Register, probably don't bother fixing numbers to our models because they patently will never fly away out of control (vintage excepted)

Maybe the year after that someone will realise that there is no benefit to the register and it costs more to run it than it is worth and it will be quietly dropped.

The law and penalties for mis use will still be there and anyone who gets caught transgressing will get a good kicking but for the rest of us, no-one will give a toss and we will carry on much as we always have....

Maybe.

Feels a bit like a missed opportunity to me, some have been asking for distance between "Us n Them" you've been decrying the numbers the authorities predict, you where asking for your record and achievement scheme to be recognised in your favour, now you're not using that route yourself, patience is not a virtue then ?

What might happen next year ? I dunno, but promote our strengths, stick together, brag about our achievement scheme for being more rigorous than the online test, use it, get it's foot in the door for the future. When the BMFA fights your corner after 4 years of being told they're doing it wrong, what do we do, ignore what they won for us, and ask why they bothered ?

Hi John.

I may have given the impression that I was jumping the gun when I applied for a Flyer ID and posted the screen shots above. That wasn't the case. I did it simply to find out for myself how simple it was so that I could offer reassurance to anyone who felt daunted by it. It is really simple and nobody should be afraid of taking it if they need to.

I'm all for being patient and going the BMFA route, as I think there could be a benefit to it. As you say, we are stronger together than we are apart.