TN Hurricane

Marko

Advert

Well I think i am going to glue them in too (maybe even cyno as 1 stringer at a time with PVA will take me weeks), I dont see the advantage of leaving them loose.  Thats a whole lot of jigging there Glenn or my few ply/balsa jigs are insufficient.

How did you cut that tail fairing?- also only 4.5mm balsa i had has been used for my jigging (Doh!!!) could i use a lamination of 3mm and 1.5mm

P.S. looking good there, has it been finished and flown yet?

Hi Rob,

The jig was made up from bits in the reduced bin at B&Q, I think it pays to try and keep the model as straight as possible.

You could use laminations for the tail it just needs a fair bit of water and a hot air gun to get it to go round the curve.

do make sure the tailplane seating is correct, use the ply center spine as a guide.

The model is finished, just waiting for the warmer weather to give it a spray with two part tufcote to fuel proof and matt down the decals.

Now, stop me if this is a stupid idea....

The Robert Nelitz Chipmunk has a very elegant and clever wing attachment method.  The center section of the wing is built integral with the fuselage, and ends in a stepped profile outboard of the undercarraige.  The outer wing pannels are then attached to this via a mortice joint and a bolt.

It strikes me that the panel joint and doubler on the real hurricane where the dihedral begins, is an ideal point to build to and then join the outer wing panels.

See here...

The only issue would be HOW to securely join the outer wing panels.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Hugh

PS. Tony, not trying to pick holes in your design at all, but merely to suggest an alternative to the "Bolt the wing to the Fuselage" method.

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 20/05/2009 13:52:46

Here is the beginning of some work I have been doing on this idea.
The Former with the curved top is a replacement for F3 on the plan.  The former behind is what I call F3a and is positioned 88mm aft of F3.
The ribs don't yet have their slots for the retracts, but I have added the cut out for the wheels in W2.
Note that on my workings, W2, W3 and W4 all have the same thickness, but have chords lengthened accordingly as required.

And here is an idea of the construction that has led to this.
You can see here the cross section of the whole fuselage and wing centre section at F3.
Again, the retracts are missing as yet.

Cheers,

Hugh

Hi Chris,

I thought you might get your test flight in this weekend but it's pouring again a.
after such a nice week..
Going to cover in solar tex then add a bit of paint.
Going to do it like Tony has.
Same as the Hurricane they have in Wanaka.
Well thinking like that..
Just waiting for covering to turn up from 436, they had to order from the uk
run out of stock just when you want it.lol 

Cheers Bryan

I made a bit of a hash of the tail fairing in that the tailplane will not sit level. I've been sitting staring at it for a couple of days now trying to figure out how I'm going to fix it.

I've got a brand new SC70FS for the front end and am considering a flexible exhaust to try and hide most of it inside the cowl.

Hi Hugh,

Yes i think a 70 would be ideal, but the 91 is what i had so in she went.
 the bonus of it no lead to add to front and can always throttle back.
But  a good 70 would be awesome.

Hi Doug,
I think i know what you mean, but could you put up a photo,
just to make sure. I to had trouble with that.

Cheers Bryan

Hi Doug,

Looking good there, It's a big task getting retracts all setup but once down you can
get right into the build now. I found it whent quite quick once it was down.
On the tail end can you not just lay strips of balsa on the side that is low to build it up.
Bit like wing rib capping.. Thats what i did to get it right..

Cheers Bryan

Very nice Chris,  I bet it's killing you having to wait . I know i would be going crazy.
My covering will be here on Tuesday so lets hope this next weekend is good i reckon i will be ready to go.. Shall make a video of it all as well..

Hi Doug. hope it works for you  there Doug,  And the wing fairings an't to bad to do.
Having that strip of ply glued to the fus,  makes a good guide, it pretty easy with that there.
Shall get some more photos up when all covered up and painted ..
Hope fully this week.

Cheers Bryan

Hi
  Thanks Bryan
 Hi doug I left the wing fairings of on purpose because in the past they are the first things to get hanger rash,and this model is a sport scale and I did not want to go the hole hog.
What Bryan said about the ply guide is the road I would have gone down if I had put the fairings on.
  Hey Bryan out of intrest what part of NZ are you in,I'm in Kati Kati BOP.

Cheers guys

Hi Chris,

Im just across the way in Hamilton, My wife has a Aunt in Kati Kati, down levley road.          
Where abouts do you fly there,  Its a pain this weather a fine during the week and yuck on the weekends. i guess it will come right..

Cheers Bryan

Hi Chris nice job there mate I am not known for criticising other peoples models generally - I am in no position to do so but have to say mate, the hurri is one model which has to have the wing fairings fitted - its just so much a part of its shape and character - go on, you could surely make up something not too fussy and cover them well enough to prevent rash - perhaps some glass skinned balsa or whatever? Besides, a few scuff marks here and there will add to its authenticity, and if its "only" a sport scale, then this should matter not. Go on, just to keep me happy, please, pretty please 

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 07/06/2009 11:31:20