Sloping at Ivinghoe in 1963

cymaz

Advert

KiwiKid,

What a find, I remember Les Moulster from the Ivinghoe Soaring Association in the 80s I think.

I might be wrong but the very first pilot shown flying looked suspiciously like the famous Mike Ellins.

Could young Sean Bannister be there as well.

Have to say that was one of the best videos I've seen all year, noteworthy was the requirement to have insurance and the scale of the event.

That fence was definitely not there during my time up there.

Just brilliant.

As a relative newcomer to the organising club, the Luton & District Model Aeronautical Society, I'm not able to add much by way of identification except I recognise the official timekeeper as Dan Bateman, a legendary member of the club, from his many photos in our archives.

At least one forum/club member dates back to those heady days [I was still very much in short trousers and living 15 or so away in St. Albans, although at around that year I had saved up for a Frog Buccaneer wind up model which I flew from the back of the beacon one Sunday afternoon - discovering at the same time why you shouldn't try running downhill after it - my legs were a blur before the inevitable happened!] and might be along to add some identifications?

Indeed Martin.

As well as Dan, who was club comp sec,, I saw Edgar Clarke FSMAE, the club Secretary, and Rex Brown the Treasurer. There were several other faces I recognised but can't immediately put names to - well it was a while ago!

It is possible that Mick (another current club member) and I were amongst the youngsters in the back ground, but I haven't spotted either of us yet.

That has certainly brought back some memories smiley.

Dick

Hi Kiwikid,

I edited the heading but for some obscure reason it has also deleted your first post containing the video! I was able to copy the video URL so I'm re-posting it here. Apologies - haven't a clue what happened!smile o

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 25/12/2019 13:08:13