Very heavy drones!

Tim Kearsley

I wonder if anyone living in the East of England was watching the ITV local news programme just now? They featured a piece on the new drone legislation and the reporter said that the regs only apply to drones "over 250 kg"!!!

Now that sounds like a mighty big drone to me! I do wish these journalists would check their facts.....

Tim.

Advert

He probably read his script, saw 250g, and thought nahh that can't be right and 'corrected' it to-air frown

Then he came off-air and his director said "you got that wrong - its 250g" and the guy said "don't be daft why would they want to register toys weighing less that a pound!" 

Edited By Wingman on 02/01/2020 18:43:21

Compared with a reference I came across about some drones used in 1944, 250 kg ones are lightweights. The Aphrodite project converted "war weary" B-17s into radio controlled flying bombs. The planes were stripped of armament and most other equipment packed with 9100 kg of high explosive and fitted with special radio equipment. They were taken off manually and after gaining altitude were set on course for V-weapon emplacements in northern France. After setting fuses the pilots baled out and control was left to a "mother" aircraft to guide the drone to its target. Sadly they did little damage to the intended target but one crashed in Suffolk. The explosion was heard 30 miles away and left a crater 30 m (100ft) across and severed the trunks of fully grown oak trees within 60 m (200ft) of its edge.

I got this from an old copy of Wings - a weekly publication which was labelled as the Encyclopaedia of Aviation.

Malcolm