TN Hunter EDF

Philip Barrett 2

I thought I would share my experience in building the Hawker Hunter by Tony Nijhuis. I have just completed it, having got off to an early start before Christmas by ordering the plan, CNC wood pack and canopy from Tony before the publication date in RCM&E.

I would really recommend the wood pack. Some of the fuselage formers, particularly the one securing the tail pipe, are both complex and delicate and would not be easy to cut from 3mm liteply.

I have finished it in the same yellow scheme Tony used, hoping to get the same benefit in terms of visibility in flight.

img_5334.jpg

The only change I made from the plan was to fit a battery hatch on the underneath to facilitate access for the battery. Using an Overlander 3S 2200 pack it slides happily under the wing, allowing it to be located to give the correct balance point without the need for any ballast.

img_5335.jpg

I made a floor to the battery compartment from hard 3mm balsa, gluing it at the junction of the vertical fuselage sides and the sloping sides. The battery is secured with Velcro, and is restrained from moving forward by a balsa wedge from triangular stock.

img_5337.jpg

I was very impressed with Tony`s design. It is easy to build and gives a very representative finished shape. My version has come out at 21 ounces with battery, which is a testament to both the design and the wood selection in the pack.

If our patch ever dries out I will let you know how it flies!

T

Just thinking again about Martin’s comment about the feature on Tony’s Concorde in front of the fan unit, the original Concorde had an elaborate system of movable intake ramps in front of the Olympus engines to slow the incoming air to subsonic speed so the engines could handle the air flow.

I suspect Tony was partly replicating this for scale effect.

Martin unless my experience in the Royal Air Force was an illusion, Hunters fairly regularly went supersonic, at least the ones stationed at RAF Brawdy did circa 1974. True they had to climb then go into a fairly steep dive to achieve it. Perhaps any former 'Hunter' jockeys amongst us will comment and confirm(?) Post Script: Online descriptions detail that the Rolls Royce Sapphire with afterburner enabled the Hunter to achieve Mach 1.67 in level flight.

Edited By Capt Kremen on 25/01/2020 14:45:35

• 2 weeks later...