6 Turning 4 Burning

SR 71

Advert

Yes sir i have been dying of a very bad case of man flue, anyhow i have managed to spend a little time on it, got the first coat of primer/filler brushed on, ( i like to brush it on as its thicker ) i then sprayed a light coat of black on top so that any low spots will show up dark

back to my death bedface 7

Don, do you really need the hot water? Or is it there to combine the honey into the Whisky, if so, best make it warm, to avoid evaporation of the Honey.

Recently I have been reading about the weight penalty of pusher drive shafts as discussed at a WW2 German conference considering the specification of a fighter invitation to tender. It was thought that the shaft assembly would add approx. 120 lb per engine.

When you consider the mass of the Wasp Major as used in the B36 of 3,400 lbs (I know weight).

3000 hp.jpg

You can see that whatever you do, either the engine on the wrong side of the CG, or an increase in weight, with a drive shaft, there is a penalty. Particularly when the improved aerodynamics from the arrangement were thought to be less than 10%, tractor arrangements become more attractive.

With a thickness of 21% (max) I guess the drag was high if you wanted to go fast, hence all the power. I assume the section was also chosen due to the high aspect ratio. Even with the YB60.

I wonder what the B52 used as an airfoil, could that why it was a bit faster.

I sanded filled and sanded got spot on then found a couple of places i had gone through the cloth, so had to lay more cloth on, while that went off i started thinking about the wing, going to do a 3 piece wing, a centre section that can be removed, but ill leave it on this will have the two inboard engines, the retracts and the two iner flaps, outer panels will each have two engines, two flaps and the aileron, going to opperate all six flaps from one central servo

With all that in mind iv made the outer tubes for the carbon wing joiners from glass. Ill load the pics later, as i have flu ???

• 2 weeks later...

Now the playground humor has ended

Got the fuselage plug ready to finish painting and made a star on the wings, doing the in 3 parts centre section will have two motors, finboard flaps and undercarriage the outer panels 2 motors and ailerons each, centre section will be removable from the fuselage20200125_124042.jpg

I'm definitely following. I'm intrigued as to what you are going to do with the plug.

P.S. I've found that the hard part about posting photos on here is getting them in the right order and where you want them with respect to your text. The key is to press the Enter key a few times after your typing, then make sure you position your curser at the point you want the picture inserting - usually BELOW the last picture or text. If you have no space below the last picture, you need to click in the white space just to the right of the last picture and hit Enter. Then your new picture will be added below it. Far easier to do than to explain.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 25/02/2020 21:25:47

Plug is looking very nice now. It's what you do next that is intriguing me.

2 part female plug, split lengthwise down the vertical axis - followed by a 2 part fuselage?

Or do you go straight to the finished fuselage then cut it into 2 parts to release it from the plug and worry about the external finish later?

Edited By Gary Manuel on 26/02/2020 10:44:19

You and me to Gary.

I was thinking about where this was headed,

I then thought back to the group I worked with making canoes and then when I moulded fuz.wp_20200124_09_36_30_pro.jpg

My bits and pieces as a hoarder.

When we made a plug for canoes, made the plug with a separation line built in, which was along the hull to deck. Although I seem to remember that the Trylon booklet, wrote about building a flange on the intended separation line, which was to be sealed with plasterzine, The knowledgeable members knew it was a lot easier to separate the top of the plug from the bottom and construct the flange on the two bits.

You can see that I also did the same later where I started moulding my own glider bodies.

It is some 40 years ago since I last did anything, A lot has changed in how people do things. I still suspect it is a two part mould that will be made. The alternative approach would have been simpler using the lost mandrel construction.

Either way, it is a lot of work for a one, lost mandrel being the least.

What ever, I watch and learn.

I seem to remember that that the video was from a Jimmy Stewart. Again if I remember correctly, it was really a propaganda film in support of the Strategic Air Command.

In one of the mags, probably 20 years back, some one built a B36 with a stringered fuz. I ma guessing that the motors were 400/480 with Nickel Cadmium batteries. That is why I guessing 20 years back.