Drone laws 2020

Phil Cooke

John,

Whilst BMFA (or equivalent) insurance is the only mandatory requirement to fly a model at any of our PSSA events, as the Associations event organiser I will be doing all I can to ensure we raise no concerns from any local authority, any visitor or passer by - it's in our best interests for the good of the flying site and the hobby to be as compliant to the new rules as we can.

As such there will be a general expectation for you to carry your exemption paperwork in your flightbag and once available, to have your Operator ID fitted to each of your models - should you ever get challenged to prove your compliance.

My recommendation would be to pay the £9 fee, apply your number to your models and carry on enjoying the hobby we all love, safe in the knowledge you can put any potential 'trouble maker' back in their box through simple compliance should we ever get challenged. No fuss, no drama.

Advert

John - I know the bmfa were "looking into it, but in order for your insurance to be valid, the pilot must be also legal i.e. Have registered with the CAA and passed the test / be a certificated pilot. In very much the same way that a car on the road must be MOTed in order for insurance to be valid.

There are many other threads where this is discussed ad infinitum, but for £9 to carry on enjoying my hobby... Well, it's a no brainer.

I'd like to echo what Phil hinted at in a more blunt way above too - the Orme is not public access land, and is privately owned. Failure to operate in a legal fashion could affect the abilityffor us to fly there at all.  We don't want that. 

Edited By Andy Meade on 04/02/2020 06:38:29

Posted by Andy Meade on 04/02/2020 06:35:13:

I'd like to echo what Phil hinted at in a more blunt way above too - the Orme is not public access land, and is privately owned. Failure to operate in a legal fashion could affect the abilityffor us to fly there at all. We don't want that.

Edited By Andy Meade on 04/02/2020

Playing devil's advocate here. On private land, you don't need an MOT, road tax or insurance to be able to drive so if the Orme is private land, then you could argue that you should not need any model airplane tax or license either.....

Posted by Jason-I on 04/02/2020 08:10:53:

I'd like to echo what Phil hinted at in a more blunt way above too - the Orme is not public access land, and is privately owned. Failure to operate in a legal fashion could affect the abilityffor us to fly there at all. We don't want that.

Playing devil's advocate here. On private land, you don't need an MOT, road tax or insurance to be able to drive so if the Orme is private land, then you could argue that you should not need any model airplane tax or license either.....

Yep as long as you don't go into the air which is regulated by the CAA, so as long as the plane stays on the ground you are fine.................

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 04/02/2020 08:14:18:

Yep as long as you don't go into the air which is regulated by the CAA, so as long as the plane stays on the ground you are fine.................

But the landowner owns the airspace above their land up to a height that is 'reasonable for the normal use and enjoyment of the land'. In the case of the Orme, model flying has taken place there for many, many years, so it has become the normal use of the land.

Posted by Jason-I on 04/02/2020 08:39:06:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 04/02/2020 08:14:18:

But the landowner owns the airspace above their land up to a height that is 'reasonable for the normal use and enjoyment of the land'. In the case of the Orme, model flying has taken place there for many, many years, so it has become the normal use of the land.

For pity's sake......

As I see it John, If you don't like the rules, don't go and fly there.

My club has a very isolated field and we have a limited number of members.

If you turned up there without your registration you would be given the order of the boot toot sweet.

As for gliders don't go above 400 feet I have only one word, Codswallop!!!

Posted by paul d on 04/02/2020 08:51:09:

It's hardly worth debating to be honest, pay the £9.,take the test and go and enjoy your flying safe in the knowledge your completely legal....

yes 100%

"normal use of the land"? Yes, good luck with that, especially as there may well be rulings coming shortly from the land owner / estate management on what is required to fly from their land.

With the amount of walkers / families / dogs / goats wandering in and out of the landing area / pits / slope face, you'd be mad to fly without a valid insurance, ergo CAA fees paid up and registered.

Edited By Andy Meade on 04/02/2020 08:59:03

Thanks for the reply , seems I have upset some people , sorry fr that. I have passed both my a and b certificate to fly on the month of June 1985 , so it's not that I don't conform to rules etc. I am saying that the caa are trying to destroy our hobby for whatever motive they are after. I am going to pay the 9 pound to the caa but I am saying it's the thin edge of the wedge . What happens next year when they say they want 50 or 80 pound to register , are all of you going to pay up then like good boys . Not sure what Peter said about the 400 ft rule. But according to the rules you are not supposed to go over that height.

Posted by Callsign Tarnish on 04/02/2020 09:04:17:

Can I suggest an admin moves this thread into a 'general' section? This part of the forum is supposed to be for PSS mass build discussions.

Edited to add: ......or better yet close it as this topic has been done to death.

Done. I agree, the OP has the answer, the rules are fairly clear...

Pete