Radio

Paul Law

Posted by Nigel R on 22/05/2020 12:12:39:

I have, Spektrum DX6i, DX7, a few receivers, and, not a single problem.

Locally, almost all of my club use Spektrum.

Lets not turn this thread into another brand bashing!

With apologies, I didn't mean to bash the brand (in fact never had a problem with my DX6i only with the black DX7 I replaced it with). I was really just picking up on the idea that if one's returning with old kit that needs money spending on it, then this might be the opportunity to look at what else is on offer.

For me, the extra work of converting at a mental level to OpenTx was a small price to pay for the fact that in my main interest-area - slope and thermal soaring - there are some very good templates available, which are way beyond what a mere mortal like myself could programme on their own into any system.

For general purpose power flying, there's very little wrong with all the main brands.

Advert

Posted by David Davis on 22/05/2020 12:13:17:

I've had problems with my DX9. On one occasion it failed to light up the five bars on the facade of the transmitter. It was sent away for a service. On another occasion I lost two models in consecutive flights so I sent the transmitter to be serviced, ie the RF board was replaced.

If I have anymore problems with it I'm going for a Multiplex, Made In Germany.

Taranis transmitters frighten me because I'm totally uninterested in information technology and if I hear the word "programmable," I run a mile.

All modern transmitters are programmable. You might have to take up long distance running as a new hobby.

Posted by Paul Marsh on 22/05/2020 12:22:03:

Did have Taranis, but even I couldn't get round the logic, could not even reverse the throws on a basic 4ch model and Found that to reverse, you altered "weight" whaaat? does not compute!

Absolutely incorrect, Paul (Although it would work). To reverse a channel you go to the outputs page, i.e. the one that relates to the output of each channel and you just reverse the direction. Couldn't be simpler.

The mistake people make is looking to do it the same way as other makes with their prescriptive menu system. Get your head around OpenTx and what each of its few pages are for and it's pretty simple, really.

Everyone is different though which is why different systems suit different people. Nothing wrong in that.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 22/05/2020 19:45:17:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 22/05/2020 12:22:03:

Did have Taranis, but even I couldn't get round the logic, could not even reverse the throws on a basic 4ch model and Found that to reverse, you altered "weight" whaaat? does not compute!

Absolutely incorrect, Paul (Although it would work). To reverse a channel you go to the outputs page, i.e. the one that relates to the output of each channel and you just reverse the direction. Couldn't be simpler.

The mistake people make is looking to do it the same way as other makes with their prescriptive menu system. Get your head around OpenTx and what each of its few pages are for and it's pretty simple, really.

Everyone is different though which is why different systems suit different people. Nothing wrong in that.

Yes. it depends on what you are used to. The 'prescriptive' (restricted would be a better name but it wouldn't sell ) interfaces, such as Futaba, JR, and Spektrum are very different from the 'object orientated' (unrestricted) interfaces of Multiplex and OpenTx.

Nobody who has used Multiplex would have a problem with OpenTx and vice-versa.

And once the concept has 'clicked' in your head the object orientated systems are very intuitive. And far more flexible and 'powerful'. For example you can easily make retract sequencers using the servo 'curves' and 'servo slow' on a Multiplex so don't need a built in 'feature' of sequencers at all. I assume you can do something similar on OpenTx.

As for 'minor' system, such as Tactic, Radiolink, etc. they may be low cost but they tend to appear on the market for a short time, then vanish - in my memory about ten of these things have briefly appeared/disappeared in the last few years. So if you want service or more receivers you are stuck and will then have to fork out for a 'known' system anyway.

Posted by Nigel R on 22/05/2020 09:56:44:

Any currently available receiver will be fine. The AR410 and AR620 seem to be well liked and reasonably priced.

Thanks for the info, perhaps I should have mentioned these are for two elderly helis, one Raptor 50, the other a Trex 450, having read through a few forums there would appear to be some issues with the AR620, Carbon fiber frames and signal quality.

The lack of external ariel (sat) appears to have a bearing ?

Cheers,

Paul

Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 09:53:47:

How come the new Graupner trannies never get recommended?

Easy.

There doesn't appear to be an 'official' or notably enthusiastic UK importer so very little dealer representation and no regular supply. The few dealers are always going 'out of stock' of things, and that's long before the coronavirus.

And other than the quite 'pretty looking' tray versions (and tray radios are not popular in the UK anyway) nothing that makes them stand out.

And they weren't helped by the performance of the US designed XPS 2.4 RF system they used before HOTT.

Tx selction is just like cars - everyone says the one they own is the best ever and wouldn't buy anything else or the one they bought is the worst ever and will never buy again!

But why anybody would want to buy a Tx that could be updated online and therefore possibly change something you don't know about is beyond me! If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Posted by Steve J on 23/05/2020 10:58:46:

One of the unwritten rules of this forum is that topics asking about radios have to include both Spekkie bashing posts and posts saying how great OpenTx is.

Certainly seems that way. In over 40 years of rc I have always chosen my radio by looks, feel and probably even smell. Does it have the feature I want and how easy is it to use. Thats about 8 different makes, Which was best? None of them I have never lost a model due to radio failure. My advise to the OP is to get that DJT or xJT module while you can they are cheap enough, you will struggle to find a radio of the quality of the PCM9 these days without spending a hell of a lot of money

Graupner yea I had that as well , it was really a JR , not all were by any means, I bought it on ebay as part of a job lot of stuff, it had an FRSky hack module 2.4 conversion

It was very good, I flew it for a while, liked it, and could even get round the menu which was in German. I sold it on because in these days of having to have everything perfect and no excuses to invalidate insurance it was a grey import from Hungary and modded to 2.4 on top

Posted by Steve J on 23/05/2020 10:58:46:

One of the unwritten rules of this forum is that topics asking about radios have to include both Spekkie bashing posts and posts saying how great OpenTx is.

Good comment.

But to be fair the original Spektrums weren't very good. It's why they changed the transmission protocol from DSSS to a rather unusual both 'spread' and 'frequency hopped' system and so ended up with something very similar to Futabs's FASST.

As for OpenTx, while 'open' in theory, in practice, with only two makes supporting it, FrSky and (I believe) Turnigy, it isn't 'open' in the commonly accepted sense at all. Compare that with all TVs having an HDMI interface, for example.

And its off-putting 'fanboyism' is nearly as bad as Apple's

Graupner - Hott is good, but if buying used, avoid IFS, its essentially XPS which is Xbee based and has many briefly documented failures, briefly because the owner of XPS moderates the XPS thread on RCG. Graupner rapidly moved from IFS to Hott which is a much better system, CC2500 based.

Nowt wrong with "Fanboys" we all fit in there somewhere, If you think you don't, you're most likely mistaken.

I fly with a JR 9X with a FRSKY module in, It's the dogs Doodahs, I also own a Taranis That's even more capable, but unless I pester a club mate to set models up for me, I struggle with It, I am either too lazy to put the effort into learning, or too thick.

Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 12:45:31:
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/05/2020 12:20:14:

Nowt wrong with "Fanboys" we all fit in there somewhere, If you think you don't, you're most likely mistaken.

I dont - I have no brand loyalty at all John - I'll run anything that works smiley

There's more than radio in our hobby, you'll fit the "Fanboy" tag somewhere. wink

Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 12:55:15:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/05/2020 10:48:14:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/05/2020 09:53:47:

How come the new Graupner trannies never get recommended?

Have you seen this statement on Airteks website **LINK**

So they are still being made but a lack of European distribution due to a change in trading legislation means they have temporarily suspended sales?

Not legislation, Graupner Europe went bust and so far nobody else has decided to import, distribute and provide support , and there is no clear date for them being reintroduced. Bit the same with JR, their transmitters are still being made by the company (DEA?) that got the manufacturing rights but they are like rocking horse droppings.

I fly with a JR 9X with a FRSKY module in, It's the dogs Doodahs, I also own a Taranis That's even more capable, but unless I pester a club mate to set models up for me, I struggle with It, I am either too lazy to put the effort into learning, or too thick.

I don't. Unlike 'fanboys' I justify things I buy, to myself only, BEFORE buying them. Not afterwards. Fanboys are just 'evangelists' - "Join MY religion, it's the only true one",

Take radios. Shortly after they came out I bought a Multiplex Evo simply because the transmitter didn't look like a 1950's jukebox, as the 'Asian' ones do, JR particularly so,

Was it any good? Well - it failed with an intermittent fault about 18 months later and the service people couldn't fix it in three attempts though they thought they had. Two crashes later I bought a new one only because I had about 20 receivers by then so I was stuck with the Multiplex system. The new one, which has a totally different main circuit board, has been fine now for about ten years.

Would I recommend one to you? No. I don't want the blame if it develops a fault or you just don't get on with it.

On your other comment, having spent the last 30 years plus in designing 'big' computer operating systems, your difficulty with the Taranis is not you being lazy or thick, it's because the Taranis has a 'user hostile' interface. You can tell that by all the nerdy questions people keep asking - the hobby is toy planes, not computer software.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 13:51:36:

I don't. Unlike 'fanboys' I justify things I buy, to myself only, BEFORE buying them. Not afterwards. Fanboys are just 'evangelists' - "Join MY religion, it's the only true one",

Take radios. Shortly after they came out I bought a Multiplex Evo simply because the transmitter didn't look like a 1950's jukebox, as the 'Asian' ones do, JR particularly so,

Was it any good? Well - it failed with an intermittent fault about 18 months later and the service people couldn't fix it in three attempts though they thought they had. Two crashes later I bought a new one only because I had about 20 receivers by then so I was stuck with the Multiplex system. The new one, which has a totally different main circuit board, has been fine now for about ten years.

Would I recommend one to you? No. I don't want the blame if it develops a fault or you just don't get on with it.

On your other comment, having spent the last 30 years plus in designing 'big' computer operating systems, your difficulty with the Taranis is not you being lazy or thick, it's because the Taranis has a 'user hostile' interface. You can tell that by all the nerdy questions people keep asking - the hobby is toy planes, not computer software.

Oddly enough YOU don't get to define what the hobby is, others have their own thoughts, and more power to them. Same with the "BIG" stuff you helped design, it don't qualify you to define me, Taranis is good kit, I'm lazy and haven't put the effort in, I can say that, you've no way of knowing. You sound very worked up about not a lot.