Radio

Paul Law

Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 14:04:25:

Won't it be brilliant when we can all just go flying with whatever gear we happen to have

(Hope your lad's picking up John, slow process from broken bones...)

Thanks Phil, he'll mend. Feeling better now swellings going down, and they're sorting him Wednesday.smiley

Soz mods, off topic. embarrassed

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 23/05/2020 13:58:34:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 13:51:36:
Posted by john stones 1 on 23/05/2020 12:20:14:

Nowt wrong with "Fanboys" we all fit in there somewhere, If you think you don't, you're most likely mistaken.

I fly with a JR 9X with a FRSKY module in, It's the dogs Doodahs, I also own a Taranis That's even more capable, but unless I pester a club mate to set models up for me, I struggle with It, I am either too lazy to put the effort into learning, or too thick.

I don't. Unlike 'fanboys' I justify things I buy, to myself only, BEFORE buying them. Not afterwards. Fanboys are just 'evangelists' - "Join MY religion, it's the only true one",

Take radios. Shortly after they came out I bought a Multiplex Evo simply because the transmitter didn't look like a 1950's jukebox, as the 'Asian' ones do, JR particularly so,

Was it any good? Well - it failed with an intermittent fault about 18 months later and the service people couldn't fix it in three attempts though they thought they had. Two crashes later I bought a new one only because I had about 20 receivers by then so I was stuck with the Multiplex system. The new one, which has a totally different main circuit board, has been fine now for about ten years.

Would I recommend one to you? No. I don't want the blame if it develops a fault or you just don't get on with it.

On your other comment, having spent the last 30 years plus in designing 'big' computer operating systems, your difficulty with the Taranis is not you being lazy or thick, it's because the Taranis has a 'user hostile' interface. You can tell that by all the nerdy questions people keep asking - the hobby is toy planes, not computer software.

Oddly enough YOU don't get to define what the hobby is, others have their own thoughts, and more power to them. Same with the "BIG" stuff you helped design, it don't qualify you to define me, Taranis is good kit, I'm lazy and haven't put the effort in, I can say that, you've no way of knowing. You sound very worked up about not a lot.

You want to get 'personal' about this, fine. I'm not going to.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 11:47:03:

As for OpenTx, while 'open' in theory, in practice, with only two makes supporting it, FrSky and (I believe) Turnigy, it isn't 'open' in the commonly accepted sense at all. Compare that with all TVs having an HDMI interface, for example.

And its off-putting 'fanboyism' is nearly as bad as Apple's

You have this completely the wrong way round. OpenTX is "open" because the source code is freely available and open to anyone to adapt and use for free.

No transmitter manufacturers "support" it, though several make use of it.

Posted by Andy48 on 23/05/2020 15:05:01:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 11:47:03:

As for OpenTx, while 'open' in theory, in practice, with only two makes supporting it, FrSky and (I believe) Turnigy, it isn't 'open' in the commonly accepted sense at all. Compare that with all TVs having an HDMI interface, for example.

And its off-putting 'fanboyism' is nearly as bad as Apple's

You have this completely the wrong way round. OpenTX is "open" because the source code is freely available and open to anyone to adapt and use for free.

No transmitter manufacturers "support" it, though several make use of it.

Well, yes. I know the difference between an interface, (hardware, such as an HDMI socket with its pins and voltage/current allocations), and 'support'. It was just an analogy and analogies are never exact or they wouldn't be analogies.

'Support' means, at a minimum, the ability to load it and run it. There was talk that the Multiplex Evo/Royal and Profi transmitters would be able to do this. But they didn't, which is a pity. Not only would it have been 'nice to have' as an option on their 'perceived' high-quality transmitter (remember the Horus wasn't in existence then) it would have been easy to do as they already support online updates including sufficient memory to hold two versions of the software, and it may also have expanded their market.

In actual 'day to day' practice 'openness' not only means open source but a large variety of machines that will load and run it. . And that we don't have, unfortunately, even though it's simple enough to do.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:18:20

Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 12:51:18:

The radio is my hobby!

The radio is a tool, that's all. But h I have to admit that I build more and more planes, all fitted with radio, that each one gets flown less and less.

Though my main hobby seems to be trying to get the fan/motor/number of cells combination on a test rig mounted EDF anywhere near close to the published thrust claims

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:15:16:

Well, yes. I know the difference between an interface, (hardware, such as an HDMI socket with its pins and voltage/current allocations), and 'support'. It was just an analogy and analogies are never exact or they wouldn't be analogies.

'Support' means, at a minimum, the ability to load it and run it. There was talk that the Multiplex Evo/Royal and Profi transmitters would be able to do this. But they didn't, which is a pity. Not only would it have been 'nice to have' as an option on their 'perceived' high-quality transmitter (remember the Horus wasn't in existence then) it would have been easy to do as they already support online updates including sufficient memory to hold two versions of the software, and it may also have expanded their market.

In actual 'day to day' practice 'openness' not only means open source but a large variety of machines that will load and run it. . And that we don't have, unfortunately, even though it's simple enough to do.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:18:20

OK, you've made your point that you don't like OpenTX though you've never used it, and clearly know very little about it. The rest of this waffle makes very little sense in the limited market of RC transmitters and the few manufacturers of that equipment that exist.

Just a point about setting up a new model on any transmitter (mine just happens to be a Taranis):

I start with a basic template which either I've programmed myself following the instruction manual (e.g. basic fixed-wing power like an EP Wot4 or similar), or copied from more advanced freely-available ones (e.g. F3K, F3RES, variable-camber slope soarers, etc) where I then normally stick with exactly with the programmed switches etc, or alter these slightly to suit my preferences.

When I then acquire a new model, all I then need to do is copy the programme from an existing model of exactly the same type into a new model and bind that to the RX. All that's then left to do is just adjust the throws and expo to suit the new model.

On the more complex downloaded templates (i.e thermal soarers with multiple flight-modes, voices, etc, and also pre-loaded competition timers and tasks) I must confess to not understanding a lot of the more advanced programming, but then I don't actually need to! All I need to do is adjust throws etc, which is all in the usual non-advanced parts of the menus.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:41:02:

│ │ Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 12:51:18:
│ │ The radio is my hobby!

│ The radio is a tool, that's all.

No, Richard, the model is a tool to enjoy my latest homebrew radio. I have to agree with John:

│ Oddly enough YOU don't get to define what the hobby is, others have their own
│ thoughts, and more power to them.

www.singlechannel.co.uk

Posted by Andy48 on 22/05/2020 16:12:36:
Posted by David Davis on 22/05/2020 12:13:17:

I've had problems with my DX9. On one occasion it failed to light up the five bars on the facade of the transmitter. It was sent away for a service. On another occasion I lost two models in consecutive flights so I sent the transmitter to be serviced, ie the RF board was replaced.

If I have anymore problems with it I'm going for a Multiplex, Made In Germany.

Taranis transmitters frighten me because I'm totally uninterested in information technology and if I hear the word "programmable," I run a mile.

All modern transmitters are programmable. You might have to take up long distance running as a new hobby.

I did a lot of charity half marathons as a younger man. The last one I did was in 2001 when I was 53. I was raising money for leukaemia research. My best friend was to die of the disease the following year. Add that to all of the rugby I played in my youth and early maturity and that's why my knees are shot today! cheeky

As for programmable transmitters, I just wish that the handbooks were more explanatory. I suppose I'll just have to move with the times and have a look on YouTube.

I like to compete in La Coupe Des Barons, a competition for a three-channel French trainer. Mine will be fitted with a Thunder Tiger 54, a much more powerful engine than the model was originally designed for. I'd like to programme the DX9 so that some down elevator is incorporated at full throttle to prevent the model from climbing all the time. Any advice?

Not that La Coupe is likely to take place this year. sad

Finally I meant what I said about Spektrum in my previous post. I started out with a Sanwa Conquest 6 before changing to a Futaba FF6 which I used for over ten years. Never had any trouble with either of those. That said, apart from a defective rudder trim, I've never had any trouble with my Spektrum  DX6i either.

Edited By David Davis on 24/05/2020 05:45:55

Posted by Phil Green on 24/05/2020 00:47:44:

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/05/2020 18:41:02:

│ │ Posted by Phil Green on 23/05/2020 12:51:18:
│ │ The radio is my hobby!

│ The radio is a tool, that's all.

No, Richard, the model is a tool to enjoy my latest homebrew radio. I have to agree with John:

│ Oddly enough YOU don't get to define what the hobby is, others have their own
│ thoughts, and more power to them.

www.singlechannel.co.uk

Oh, you are THAT Phil. So:

You not only fly toy planes, you collect old radios, as demonstrated by your asking for "donations" to add to your "collection". And while the two may be connected they do not have to be. As in there are a lot of people who collect antiques but do not use them for their originally intended purpose - old fishing rods can be far too valuable and fragile to actually fish with, for example.

So it logically follows that collecting old toy plane radios can be a separate and totally unconnected hobby from flying toy planes. See the US 'Radio Control Hall of Fame' site for example, where he sometimes talks about often deceased people who used to fly toy planes but doesn't appear to do any toy plane flying himself, in the same way people talk about Ming dynasty china but don't drink their tea out of it.

And I feel that some OpenTx fans, with their waffle about such things as 'scripts' and 'forks' etc. are much the same.

Cheers

I'm a newbe and I went with the recommended Spektrum. I have a DX6E and DX8e and I don't have any problems with them. They are easy to use and I find comfortable to hold and the switches are in easy reach. One of our members was using an older Futarba and lost 2-3 models before he found the trouble in the Tx, so I would recommend a new set , as some said best to start with new equipment. The reason I went to Spektrum is I can use the SAFE and AS3X options which because of my age and health means I can still fly, even warbirds.

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 24/05/2020 06:26:51

Oh, you are THAT Phil. So:

You not only fly toy planes, you collect old radios, as demonstrated by your asking for "donations" to add to your "collection".

Not sure why you take such a sarcastic tone Richard,  I dont much like the implication of your quotes.
FYI I am not a collector, Shaun is the collector, not me, I have a few old radios, and I fly them all as often as I can. Shauns collection of restored and repaired radios is used to illustrate a travelling presentation which we do for free.

Edited By Phil Green on 14/08/2020 23:00:35

Posted by David Davis on 24/05/2020 05:31:20:

As for programmable transmitters, I just wish that the handbooks were more explanatory. I suppose I'll just have to move with the times and have a look on YouTube.

Edited By David Davis on 24/05/2020 05:45:55

or have a look here for a printed handbook: OpenTX handbook

Try the second section, Getting Started, you don't even need a transmitter to find out about it and get going.

Edited By Andy48 on 24/05/2020 12:42:36

Posted by Doc Marten on 24/05/2020 12:21:07:
Posted by Paul Law on 24/05/2020 11:58:12:

And here was me thinking I was only asking a perfectly reasonable question on Radios & Receivers 😳......Great reading though 😁

Are you any the wiser Paul?

😁

I think so, wealth of info out there, just a matter at the end of the day of deciding what best suits your needs. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, happy for what its worth that the post created a conversation 🤐

At the end of the day everybody's input on the forums is required to keep the hobby alive and dare i say it topical.

Thanks all, you can be sure I will have more questions to test all your knowledge 👍 l

Paul did ask a reasonable question and got lots of advice. The discussion then demonstrated that there are those who want to get really involved in Tx stuff and those who just want to fly RC........

If you just want to fly then don't trust the old batteries in your old set -buy a new Futaba or Spektrum. If you enjoy talking about Tx stuff then buy Taranis etc. Same with motoring - if you just want to get from A to B everytime buy a Toyota or Mazda etc, if you want to discuss the stuff under the bonnet buy a Morgan or classic MGB etc.