Can I or can I not fly?

tigerman

Advert

Some seem to be missing the point. It isn't about whether you think going flying is low risk or not. The govt have stated the rules that we must adhere to for the time being. Those rules allow going out once per day, alone or with other members of your household, for exercise or for a few other essential reasons. If you argue that flying your model is exercise then so will the anglers and kite-flyers and photographers and... you get the drift.

Tim.

Posted by Tim Kearsley on 24/03/2020 17:52:56:

Some seem to be missing the point. It isn't about whether you think going flying is low risk or not. The govt have stated the rules that we must adhere to for the time being. Those rules allow going out once per day, alone or with other members of your household, for exercise or for a few other essential reasons. If you argue that flying your model is exercise then so will the anglers and kite-flyers and photographers and... you get the drift.

Tim.

So if I take my daily exercise as I do by walking to the field where no one else will be flying, spending an hour enjoying myself and walking home where is the harm in that. Indeed as I live alone it may just keep me sane.

Posted by Michael Barclay on 24/03/2020 18:34:37:
Posted by Tim Kearsley on 24/03/2020 17:52:56:

Tim.

So if I take my daily exercise as I do by walking to the field where no one else will be flying, spending an hour enjoying myself and walking home where is the harm in that. Indeed as I live alone it may just keep me sane.

I know exactly what you mean Michael, but, again, you're missing the point. It isn't down to your judgement as to what's acceptable, or mine. The govt has decreed what is acceptable and, like it or not, it's incumbent on us to comply. The problem with making rules is that if you make them too complicated, with lots of "ifs" and "buts" then people are just confused. The govt has kept it as simple as possible and listed just four legitimate reasons to be outside.

Tim.

No, you can;t go flying. The rules couldn't be simpler. No going out at all except for essential travel and no leaving your property apart from obtaining essential food and medical supplies. IMO It was a mistake to leave the option to go for a walk, run or cycle none of those are essential/

For those who are desperate to exercise they can indulge in some physical jerks or walk up and down the stairs for a few hours.

There was a very apposite set of pictures on FB this morning - a picture of a young family on a normal day, every one of them on their phones or tablets, not speaking to each other and all indoors, sitting down. Then a picture of a similar young family having been asked to stay at home so as to not overwhelm the NHS and save peoples' lives, all walking in a tight knit group in a crowded park. Said it all really.

While I get an immense amount of pleasure flying my models, a large part of the experience is in interacting with other members, helping out where possible and exchanging banter. I'll certainly miss my flying but this crisis is so much more than just an inconvenience and I'm just hoping that by abiding by the Government requests, instructions and no doubt soon laws, all of my clubmates will still be around when we finally get on top of this.

If the question is is it responsible to go and fly, that depends on a personal judgement to form an opinion, of which everyone is entitled to their own (last time I checked anyway). We have all seen the government guidance of which my opinion is we should make every effort to follow.

As to whether it is illegal (from expected Thursday) to go fly, leave the house, engage in any other activity which seems to go against this guidance, for whatever reason you want to know curiosity in my case, then the Coronavirus Bill currently going through parliament is on the gov website for you to read.

Edited By Richard Wills 2 on 24/03/2020 23:07:25