Peter Russell's Models. Anybody know what happened to them?

David Davis

It was Peter Russell's enthusiasm for Walt Good's Big Guff in his book "Vintage Model Aeroplanes," which inspired me to order a short kit from Laser Design Services in the USA. The Big Guff was one of the first model aeroplanes specifically designed for radio control. I saw his model fly at Old Warden in the Nineties.

peter russells big guff..jpg

I was working on my Big Guff last night when an idle thought crossed my mind, "What has happened to Peter Russell's models?" Unless they were thrown away, someone must own them.

Peter also designed the 362 and 363 deltas, the Stryker aerobatic model and some early small electric powered models. He was also a regular contributor to RCM&E for several years.

It's just a thought.

It's possible they were subject to the usual attrition models are prone to. There might be some corner of an English field wherein lie the ashes. Or they may have been binned as the years took their toll.

I suspect it's 30 or more years since many of these were built, how many models survive that long? BTW you missed STOLs off the list!laugh

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 04/04/2020 10:43:53:

It's possible they were subject to the usual attrition models are prone to. There might be some corner of an English field wherein lie the ashes. Or they may have been binned as the years took their toll.

I suspect it's 30 or more years since many of these were built, how many models survive that long? BTW you missed STOLs off the list!laugh

Good point Bob. I must be getting old, it only seems like yesterday since I took that picture and yes I did miss out the STOL and Striker is spelt with an i and not a y! wink

I picked up a fuselage and tailplane of a STOL from the Boot Hill Corner of the Shropshire Model Flying Club years ago. Never got round to building the wing and gave it to a Scotsman I'd encountered on these pages while he was on holiday in France last year.

The only PR design I've had was a 362 delta which I equipped with a 46LA. I couldn't help noticing what a lightweight airframe it was for it's day, yet still sturdy with little ply used. Went like the proverbial being designed for .19-35 engines but it went on sale with my other IC powered models. I was tempted to buy it back and convert to electric but life is too short and it hasn't happened - yet!

I thought that the Big Guff may have survived and ended up in the collection of some vintage enthusiast. I know that some of Chris Olsen's models still exist so I was just wondering whether any of Peter's were still around. They were contemporaries after all.

Edited By David Davis on 04/04/2020 12:00:28

• 1 month later...

I am the Scot referred to in David's post: "... I picked up a fuselage and tailplane of a STOL from the Boot Hill Corner of the Shropshire Model Flying Club years ago. Never got round to building the wing and gave it to a Scotsman I'd encountered on these pages while he was on holiday in France last year.".

Having ground my way through my existing fleet - repairing, remodelling, rebuilding and a couple of new builds - I have at last come to my lovely STOL Mk2 fuselage, and it's sitting on my building table. I have researched the thing to death this evening and have gathered together pretty much everything available on-line, including the RCM&E article on the Mk1 in May 1973. Obsessed? No - just plenty time on my hands as we are still in full lockdown in Scotland, so no flying. At least not legally. It may be that a Weasel Trek fits in a rucksack and can be taken, on foot, onto the well-isolated cliffs 1 mile from my front door. Ahem . . .

No doubt wing-building etc. will come to a screeching halt the moment lockdown is eased - I have so many aircraft to maiden and re-maiden!

John, if you have researched the STOL I expect you have seen the Mass Build thread on this forum. You will see there was a discussion about the wingspan and most people were convinced it was 52 or something wingspan because that's what the plan they bought recently measured. Nobody could find an original plan to measure it but the Plans Handbook stated 48 inch span. I thought the Plans Handbook was probably right and that somehow the recent plans sold had been computerised and increased the whole plane size. Now the Outerzone plan appears to be an original and clearly shows in wriiting that it is 48 inch span. So modern plans are a slightly enlarged version while Outerzone seems to have the original.

So beware before you build a new wing that you are building one from a plan that matches your fuselage!

Note also that the Outerzone plan is the first type with undercambered airfoil not the Mark2 version shown in RCME OCT 83 which is flat bottomed airfoil with a better construction and ailerons and flaps shown. ( Compare the article drawing with plan)  Also has an obvious error in the flap bellcrank handing which are drawn as aileron would be!

Edited By kc on 19/05/2020 11:51:11

Edited By kc on 19/05/2020 12:00:17

kc- I have indeed seen the Mass Build thread, thank you. My plan is from Nexus Plans Service and is for the STOL Mk2. It's described as a 55 incher and that's what my measuring tape shows. It's a flat-bottomed airfoil. A number is printed in the lower right corner of the plan - "1445". Sarik's catalogue the Mk2 as "RC1445", so looks like it ties together.

I have measured the wing seat on my ex-Shropshire David Davis-supplied Fuselage and it agrees with the plan's dimensions. It also has a faint label inside which reads "STOL Mk2", so I guess that's what I have. I'm not particularly fazed by plans as I just enjoy getting the aircraft up in the air, so I am unlikely - on past form at least - to completely follow the blueprint. For example, I would get no pleasure out of setting up bellcranks when I know that a pair of servos would be relatively painless to install at the building stage.

The 262 and 363 Deltas are waiting in the wings - so many projects, so few years left.

The STOL is all the same size plan in MK1 and Mk2 versions (wing changes only ) it's just that somehow later printings ended up at 55 inch span while all the original were 48 inch! It's not known as to how the size increased but it's presumably due to computerising plans. Unfortunately Peter Russell was not alive when this occurred. Note that the Outerzone plan has 48 inch clearly printed top left.

Anyway as long as you build a wing to fit fuselage all will be well. Obviously most would use servos not bellcranks but it's best to note plan errors ( originally noted By Peter R himself in Straight & Level) so nobody is confused..

Posted by Gary Clark 1 on 21/05/2020 19:54:46:

This has got me think about my striker and the truth is I'll not fly it. It's been on the shelf for too long and I'll never get round to it. If anyone want the air frame, it's free to a good home

Gary

Now that is a very generous offer and if I still flew IC I'd bite your hand off! Might help others if you say what area of the country you're in.