Morning, noob here

Morning all, my name is Carl, Im new to Rc planes, I have owned a dji phamtom 2+ wrecked that, got an anafi which i use for taking photos but fancied something a little less expensive that was not a major issue if I crashed (as long as I could save the components of course otherwise it does get expensive)

Being stuck indoors has got me on a spending spree (though I cant really go out yet to enjoy it), have got a tinyhawk 2s on order, also ordered a ZOHD Nano Talon Evo FPV PNP, a fatshark scout and an FrSky ACCST Taranis Q X7 trasmitter, so still a virgin flyer at moment, getting used to the tech jargon so very noob and at 47, i guess better late than never to the party !

Before I forget - Im in Shropshire, awful at DIY - just all thumbs, hence Ive ordered a foam plane, pre-built, but Im hoping to learn a lot, maybe one day I'll 3d print my own plane or parts and get into the electricals.

For now, my aim is to crash the least amount of times that I can, meet interesting people online, learn a few things

Carl

Advert

Hi Carl, welcome to the forum from me in sunny Dorset. I don't know anything about quads but what foamy did you order? Good luck with the Taranis Q X7, they sound like excellent radios once you have figured out the logic. 'Crashing the least amount of time' is what we all aim for, with varying degrees of success! You should get plenty of (conflicting) advice on this forum wink 2. Good luck, stay safe, while having fun.smiley

Thanks both, the warm welcome most appreciated.

With the Foam plane, it comes with a flight controller thankfully which has RTH, one thing I definitely need is an RTH - nothing like watching your money fly away in the sky and not return if you dont have one ! lol

Piers - the ZOHD Nano Evo is the foam plane, it has a bucket (almost) of room to put in accessories but to begin with im keeping it with the bare essentials, FPV, flight controller, link to the plane is here on banggood

**LINK**

morning I just read what a real foam plane is - those little. foam planes i threw about when I was a kid with the plastic nose you would slide on and it always took a nose bomb.

Would the zohd nano count as a foam plane? Its made of that packing material that always sheds loads of little white pellets bits when pulling a TV or a DVD player out of its box? see, im that noob i dont know what the heck it be called. anyway and now, since my little boy has woke me up i just as well pop over to the tech area and ask some questions about batteries !

Morning Carl

Having a look at Bangood, it seems your plane is over 250g. If you fly it outside please be aware that it will be subject to the new regulations introduced by the CAA, Civil Aviation Authority.

Anything that flies is subject to essential ANOs , Air Navigation Orders.

Enjoy your new hobby, hope the lad has fun with it laugh

Welcome to the forum Carl.

You say you live in Shropshire. I'm a Shropshire Lad, Shrewsbury born and bred. I used to belong to the Shropshire Model Flying Club at Forton Aerodrome, Montford Bridge before I retired to rural France in 2015 but there are several other clubs in the county if Montford Bridge is too far. This link may give you some idea.**LINK** As Shaun Walsh has advised you'd better off joining a club. Not only will you meet lots of like-minded people and get lots of advice on what to buy as you start out in the hobby, but there will be instructors who will be able to take you up on a buddy box. These are linked transmitters which enable the instructor to take control again when you make a horlicks of things, until you are competent enough to fly by yourself. Furthermore, having paid your club fees you will be insured just in case you have an accident which hurts somebody or damages property.

SMFC used to have three trainers with transmitters to suit both Mode 1 and Mode 2 instructors and trainees.

Of course you won't be able to fly there until this Covid 19 business is over but if you contact the secretary if he can't help he will surely know someone who can.

Just my twopennorth.

Wise words from David yes

ZOHD Nano Evo, looks like a hairy little beast. The Autopilot will need some setting up so I suggest it's first flight might be it's last (probably). A fast small model becomes just a speck seconds after leaving your hand so orientation becomes a problem. With or without FPV/autopilot I suggest something with more wing area (a lower wing loading) might be more suitable as a first model whilst still being exciting to fly. Just keep the ZOHD for later.

The Hobbyking Bixler for instance is quite popular as a first model and is suitable for FPV too.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 24/04/2020 09:56:11

Posted by cymaz on 24/04/2020 06:30:35:

Morning Carl

Having a look at Bangood, it seems your plane is over 250g. If you fly it outside please be aware that it will be subject to the new regulations introduced by the CAA, Civil Aviation Authority.

Anything that flies is subject to essential ANOs , Air Navigation Orders.

Enjoy your new hobby, hope the lad has fun with it laugh

And don't forget that you can't fly using FPV alone, you need a friend standing next to you acting as a spotter who has to keep the model in view at all times.

Hi Carl, just to add to what Shaun has said about having a friend standing next to you. The spotters role is not just to keep the model in sight (unaided by visual aids i.e. just eyes) but also to ensure that you maintain safe separation from any other aircraft, building trees and so on. As has been mentioned by Cymaz, this is a legal requirement.

However, I would endorse all the points made above about joining a club before you fly and to use a normal not FPV type of aircraft. Not everyone is capable of flying using FPV goggles without becoming disorientated or even feeling sick. Best course for success is to take it slowly, one step at a time. If you rush into this game by yourself with no previous experience or knowledge of how an aircraft flies and is controlled, your aircraft generally last for about 10 secs before running into the ground.

Posted by Peter Jenkins on 24/04/2020 10:43:36:

Hi Carl, just to add to what Shaun has said about having a friend standing next to you. The spotters role is not just to keep the model in sight (unaided by visual aids i.e. just eyes) but also to ensure that you maintain safe separation from any other aircraft, building trees and so on. As has been mentioned by Cymaz, this is a legal requirement.

However, I would endorse all the points made above about joining a club before you fly and to use a normal not FPV type of aircraft. Not everyone is capable of flying using FPV goggles without becoming disorientated or even feeling sick. Best course for success is to take it slowly, one step at a time. If you rush into this game by yourself with no previous experience or knowledge of how an aircraft flies and is controlled, your aircraft generally last for about 10 secs before running into the ground.

Ain't that the truth!