Flying through covid !

Advert

My point was that the definition of what counts as 'meeting people' is completely without logic. Either we need a lockdown, in which case we need to do it properly, or we don't. There is absolutely no point in having a lockdown preventing one activity such as flying, when other activities such as Golf, seem set for an exemption.

Article

I am as anxious and concerned about the pandemic as anyone need be, so I will stay at home and not go flying due to the potential risks.

But, during lockdown my job will involve visiting several different sites all over the country, in various Tiers. I will be talking to and meeting various people who I do not know. I will be staying over in hotels. I will be driving hundreds of miles. I will come home and go to the supermarket, where I will queue up with and shop with, many other people who I do not know. I will go home to my children who have been at school with 1,000 others without wearing masks. I could even, if I were the type, have a round of Golf or go Hunting if I wanted to.

But I can't go flying because it's too risky.

It doesn't seem to be a particularly sensible approach to minimising contagion.

One of the very big problems last time was Mental Health.

I "strongly suspect" that this problem is already rearing its ugly head.

Of course some people will not allow for this but there are some of us who have NO family and need the relief from being totally alone and doing nothing. Their attitide is "That is the rules and to heck with those who have no one"

Posted by Doc Marten on 02/11/2020 21:22:57:
Posted by Peter Miller on 02/11/2020 21:03:54:

One of the very big problems last time was Mental Health.

I "strongly suspect" that this problem is already rearing its ugly head.

Of course some people will not allow for this but there are some of us who have NO family and need the relief from being totally alone and doing nothing. Their attitide is "That is the rules and to heck with those who have no one"

....and then there are those with elderly and vulnerable family who doing their very best to shield them whilst others around are saying, "I need to get out, to hell with everyone else".

I'm sure that Peter isn't one of them, so calm it down.

Peter / Matt / even Doc.

I share your frustration, but I really do think that these latest rules do allow for us all to at least get out of the house for a while without spreading the dreaded lurgy.

Lockdown is still a couple of days away and you're already having a pop at each other!face 8

Apologies to those who have tried to keep this thread constructive but it was inevitably going to degenerate. Such threads demand a disproportionate amount of moderator attention and we inevitably end up displeasing someone.

The BMFA has published its recommendations for flyers. I would suggest we are guided by those, rather than expend energy looking for ways to get around the government's decision. FB, not here, is a good way of getting frustrations out of your system, I would suggest....wink 2

Locked - and we'll have to keep locking threads if you can't be nice to each other, so please think before posting.

Thank you.

Pete