Does anyone remember...

David perry 1

Posted by Stephen Rawsthorne 1 on 29/06/2020 13:31:24:
Posted by leccyflyer on 29/06/2020 13:03:25:

A while back I came across an old shopping list, which must be from the early 1970's - possibly 1973 - for Tony;s Models in Pemberton, referred to earlier. Looks like a trip to buy a Mercury Monarch control line kit and some bits, so maybe a birthday trip.

shoppinglist1973.jpg

It was Forshaws in Wigan too, not Forster - that was the name of my physics teacher!

Hi,

I thought the shop in Pemberton was Dave Claytons, it was above the news agents, is that the same shop?

It was called Toni's (or Tony's) and was on the ground floor, up near the Unit Four cinema, IIRC. I don;t know who the owner was- I was just a youngster then, nut as the list shows - bus into Wigan and then a bus out to Pemberton.

There's some confirmation of that online, which suggests that the shop you refer to upstairs might have been above JJBs sports?

Wigan World

My first real Model Shop (1950's) was in 'New Rents' Ashford Kent. A very limited number of KK and Veron kits, plus dope and other items. The owner also supplied DIY products and had a saw bench and other equipment at the rear of the shop. Always remember the smell of sawn timber as you entered and the owner in a carpenter's apron and a pencil behind his ear! I bought my first ED Bee from him and he demonstrated how to start it, running a full tank through it just to loosen it up! First C/L was a KK Champ, yearned for a KK Phantom but couldn't then afford the model. Happy days.

Never to be repeated I'm afraid.

SW

Posted by leccyflyer on 29/06/2020 18:20:03:
Posted by Stephen Rawsthorne 1 on 29/06/2020 13:31:24:
Posted by leccyflyer on 29/06/2020 13:03:25:

A while back I came across an old shopping list, which must be from the early 1970's - possibly 1973 - for Tony;s Models in Pemberton, referred to earlier. Looks like a trip to buy a Mercury Monarch control line kit and some bits, so maybe a birthday trip.

shoppinglist1973.jpg

It was Forshaws in Wigan too, not Forster - that was the name of my physics teacher!

Hi,

I thought the shop in Pemberton was Dave Claytons, it was above the news agents, is that the same shop?

It was called Toni's (or Tony's) and was on the ground floor, up near the Unit Four cinema, IIRC. I don;t know who the owner was- I was just a youngster then, nut as the list shows - bus into Wigan and then a bus out to Pemberton.

There's some confirmation of that online, which suggests that the shop you refer to upstairs might have been above JJBs sports?

Wigan World

I don't remember a shop called Toni's in Pemberton, Dave Claytons was above the news agents on the main road, the news agents is still there. I went in Forshaws alot while studying at the tech.

My closes shop was Eric White at St Helens and a model shop in Bold Street Southport. Also went to Scots a few times and Roy Levers Megamodels once I think.

Did you ever goto the Woodvale Show or the World Championships there in 1978?

I did used to go to the Woodvale shows, but didn't go to the World Championships in 1978. Also used to make an annual trip to the Model Engineering Exhibition - starting in the 70's with the school aeromodelling club but later on going with a few pals.

I only went to John Whites in St Helens a couple of times in the 90's - I guess that was the same shop that you are referring to? Many helicopters by the 90's.

Posted by leccyflyer on 29/06/2020 21:53:07:

I did used to go to the Woodvale shows, but didn't go to the World Championships in 1978. Also used to make an annual trip to the Model Engineering Exhibition - starting in the 70's with the school aeromodelling club but later on going with a few pals.

I only went to John Whites in St Helens a couple of times in the 90's - I guess that was the same shop that you are referring to? Many helicopters by the 90's.

The World Champs was the best event I have ever been to, it went on for 5 days and i went every day, think I must of been about 13 at the time.

Yes John Whites was the same shop, his father was Eric and you are correct it went mainly into helicopters(Vario)

Did you ever goto the shop in Hindley, it was run by a young lad called Martin above his fathers fruit and veg place, very near the council buildings?

Some interesting names and models in this thread now. Makes a good read in its own right. Funny how we all move on and these names fade away...yet all real people of course. I do remember the two chaps, brothers, who ran arcade model shop in dudley. I loved it there...smelled of dope and balsa. Bought a diesel engine...my first motor. Cant recall the name...itwas red headed and only about a cc. Cant recall whether it ever flew.

I built.loads of rubber ff stuff from that shop and never ceased to be cheesed off when the brothers teied to tell me that my paiting with coloured dope would render it too heavy to fly. No.it wont. It might render it uncompetitive but it will be beautiful and uncompetitive. I still get narked when shop keepers tell me something wont work.

Happy daze

Flightline Models was owned by the late Keith Jones who lived near to me in Sutton Coldfield, a shady dealer if ever I knew one. I wanted a K&B 40 Pylon motor and he offered a good deal on one if I bought it from him. Charged me full price to the last penny and did not even throw in the prop. I used to buy my fuel from him but he once substituted nitro benzene for the nitro methane and I ended up in hospital when a little of this got in my eye.

He was the `K` part of the TK fuel pressure regulator and flew F3A with a large halo factor, being the designer of the Bulldog which bore more than a passing resemblance to the Clipper.

He also tried to take over the SCRCAC site for himself, changing the gate padlocks so that nobody else could use the field.

Bob C, I remember Apple models and bought a MM Lark heli kit from them I think.

Hi Martin, I used to fly free-flight from Sutton Park in the '50's. The majority of fliers from there were free-flight, but there was a ( very ) few radio models,all single channel, with massive ground based transmitters,about the size of large biscuit tins, with aerials about 6 foot long,and the 'button' on a wander lead.Rubber powered escapements,a successful flight was a cause for great celebration. E.D. seemed to be the most popular choice of radio,,but I could never afford it.I left Birmingham in 1960 and moved to Chester, where I still live.................Mal.

Posted by Stephen Rawsthorne 1 on 29/06/2020 22:10:58:
Posted by leccyflyer on 29/06/2020 21:53:07:

The World Champs was the best event I have ever been to, it went on for 5 days and i went every day, think I must of been about 13 at the time.

Yes John Whites was the same shop, his father was Eric and you are correct it went mainly into helicopters(Vario)

Did you ever goto the shop in Hindley, it was run by a young lad called Martin above his fathers fruit and veg place, very near the council buildings?

Yes, I went to Hindley Model Centre a couple of times - bought a Nigel Hawes Hawk there, so that must have been post 2000.

Hi Mal, I probably started with free flight in the park around 1958-9 and sort of inherited an ED Boomerang Tx etc. Much bigger than any biscuit tin I have seen, ground spike and 8` 6" ex tank aerial. Never did get everything to work at the same time. My next one I actually did build into a biscuit tin, massive 120V HT battery in a gas mask bag slung over my shoulder and connected with a wire. Try a hand launch with that lot, but it was `tone` and worked with the RCM&E UK Rx which I also built.

The model shop in Witton Road got visited every Saturday where I could drool over an electric blue OS reed set but could only afford an F&M Midas all transistor Rx.

Martin, a mate of my Dad's passed along one of those big ED sets with an APS Rhoma fitted with an ED Hunter 3.49. Never had much luck with that either. I did manage to fly the Rhoma into the school craft block one Saturday morning though! I too tried the published designs butmy first real success came with a commercial set in a big blue alloy case with a red button, REP, RCS? Locally made iirc.

I lost my first Mercury Matador in Sutton Park in the late 60's, the super-reg radio had worked ok in boats but the Matador drifted away downwind circling ever higher. Back to c/l for a while!

Hi Martin, yes I used to go to Model Mecca in Witton Road during the '50's, it was my local shop, as I iived in Aston. As an aside , I am led to believe that Nigel Mansell was an enthusiastic modeller,and that he used to fly at Sutton Park, I don't know if you can confirm that or otherwise............Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 30/06/2020 11:45:56

Ah, Model Mecca, that was the name.

I do not know about Nigel Mansell flying there because the name does not ring a bell at that time, but I used to fly there with my best mate Nigel Rollason who later worked for Lucas in Shirley so there may be some confusion with the names.

We re met a few years ago when I invited him to my local club scale day, then we met up again at the Nats which we were intending to do again last year but I heard from our newsletter editor via Facebook that he passed away while model flying at Smeatharpe in Devon.

NM`s brother worked for BT at the time I did. He was an Executive Engineer but turned up looking a bit like a hippie instead of in a suit and tie.

There are at least three of my FF models in those park woods, probably Wenmac or DC Merlin powered and good riddance to the latter. An o/d 049 powered model with a home made Rx once flew off an ended up in Hartopp Rd. of all places, poshest place around. I had visions of it having hit a Rolls but it made a perfect landing in some huge garden. The Araldite holding down the Rx coil had given way!

Dennis Thumpston, former scale champion and RCM&E scale columnist was a regular flyer at the park and we became good friends. He even flew his Nationals winning 1 1/2 Strutter there, powered by the only glow motor he ever possessed. He gave me many golden tips on model construction.

I used to cycle to the Longmoor flying site in Sutton Park as a child in the late 60s to watch the flying. I remember Dennis Thumpston flying his Twin Fin design - powered by a diesel engine.

In those days there were a few Super 60s being flown using RCS Guidance SC radio. I also remember seeing a Pete Russell Striker.

Martin, what were you flying around 1969?

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 30/06/2020 10:49:59:

Hi Mal, I probably started with free flight in the park around 1958-9 and sort of inherited an ED Boomerang Tx etc. Much bigger than any biscuit tin I have seen, ground spike and 8` 6" ex tank aerial. Never did get everything to work at the same time. My next one I actually did build into a biscuit tin, massive 120V HT battery in a gas mask bag slung over my shoulder and connected with a wire. Try a hand launch with that lot, but it was `tone` and worked with the RCM&E UK Rx which I also built.

The model shop in Witton Road got visited every Saturday where I could drool over an electric blue OS reed set but could only afford an F&M Midas all transistor Rx.

I also built the UK receiver, as I remember it used the XFY34 valve, OC71 transistors and an ED relay. The relay was tricky to adjust as it had fixed contacts and you had to adjust it by bending them with a pair of pliers! I managed a few flights on Newcastle Town Moor with a high wing trainer and a Frog 149 Vibramatic diesel, great fun.

Edited By Solly on 30/06/2020 16:32:10

Hi Martin, re. Nigel Rollason, he was the motorcycle racer. IIRC he used the unique Barton Phoenix engine from the David Essex 'Silver Dream Racer' in his T.T. sidecar outfit.I'm not sure, but I seem to recall he won a T.T. race with it, and I think he also won a solo T.T. race, I think on a 125. A couple of my friends used to passenger ( ? ) for him at the isle of man, not both at the same time obviously ! They both lived on the Wirral, not far from me, their names were Donny Williams, who I believe has passed away,although I could be wrong, the other lad was Colin Bairnston, who I used to work with. I'm going back to around the 1980's or so now. I put a question mark after the 'passenger' description, as I can't think of a more inappropriate description, they're hardly a passenger lol.

Yes, I lost a Allbon 'Dart' powered flying wing somewhere in those woods, I also had a Junior 60 fly away (free-flight ) and got a right rollicking off my Dad, anyway couple of days later got a letter off some chap replying to my 'Reward if found' label on the model ( remember them ? ) so we went and collected it, my Dad paid the 'reward' to the chap, and all was well..................................Mal

Those were the days. I would cycle or later motorcycle or drive up there every evening. On s/c I would have been flying The Charger from the R/C Handbook using an OBM Miniservo and probably the UK Rx. Later I got a s/h RCS reed set which at least could be rebuilt when I wiped the components from the Rx board. Flew it in a Graupner Caravelle which I was given, powered by a Merco 49 twin plug; brilliant model. In 1969 I p/xed it for a Stavely Analogue development set, the less said about that the better but I taught myself to fly propo with it in an OS 30 or 40 powered model scaled up to 54" from a drawing of Dennis T`s Bambi powered original which he called a Frog Zephyr. Mine was grey and his red. His Twin Fin had an AM 25 and his party piece was to do loads of loops and rolls on the way down when it ran out of juice.

I then joined the SC club at Fradley and got interested in F3A and pylon racing using a Ying Tong Space Commander set which was digital and worked well until one of the lousy servo plugs failed which was frequent.

Cannot remember too many other names from then but there was Reg, Tom, Bill, Frank, Horace and Bob Freer, oh, and mad flyer Mick Watson who killed himself in a 3/4 size Mustang when the elevator linkage failed.

Mal, you are spot on there. I have seen the Barton which he took up to Fradley one day. I heard of his solo TT win on the radio. The Barton still holds the highest top speed through the trap as far as I am aware.

On his 16th birthday he rolled up outside our house on his restored BSA 1000 V Twin with an orange box for a chair. Wanna come for a ride on me bike Mac he said? Off we went with me terrified sitting next to those pre war cylinders firing once every two telegraph poles. He had of course never been on the road before.

Hi Solly, the UK was great and all the ones I knew of worked which was more than could be said of the Terrytone etc. You could also add a reedbank to make it multi. Mine got much modified with a transistor to replace the relay and another, NPN one to simulate the `back` contact for quick blip throttle. This made the HT drain very low and by removing the case, using 2xAAA for the escapement, 1xAAA for the LT and a miniature 22.5V for the HT squeezed one into a Cox TD 010 model. It never got flown because while I was flying something else a thief snapped off the nose and stole the engine. I worked as a newspaper boy through the winter of 1962-3 to buy that. £4/19/6 was a lot of money then.

The Tinytone was another successful Rx. Being fascinated by getting things as small and light as possible I sourced some smaller components, drew my own PCB with Humbrol enamel and got one down to a postage stamp size or less.

Martin, my first radio was a 'Fleet' galloping ghost outfit, from Derek Olley. Had a few flights with it, but never really got on with it. After trying unsuccessfully to come to terms with it, in 1968 I part-exed it for an outfit you drooled over, an O.S. ten-channel reed outfit, from Roland Scott's when he was in Bolton. Mind you, mine was second-hand,with 'Climax Servomite' servoes. Fabulous radio, but the servoes were prone to sticking on occasion.I eventually sold it to a clubmate,and bought a new Futaba Digimax, excellent outfit, I've stuck with Futaba ever since. A friend of mine had a Space Commander set,I think it was a G45 outfit,was this the one you had ? I never saw him fly with it, he went to work for Aerospace at Broughton near Chester, and was put on maintainance work on the Mosquito and seemed to lose interest in modelling. Mosquito sadly no longer with us. .....................Mal

Edited By mal brewer on 30/06/2020 18:07:30

Yes, it was a G45 bought from JDM for cost price because he wanted to promote them. At the price, a few people had several of them. Terry Cooper of Prestige and TK regulator fame converted it to 5ch so that I could use retracts. I flew with it at a pylon meeting using an `Ole Tiger purchased from the above dodgy Keith Jones but it flew off by itself until I regained control and to the utter amazement of the marshals I rejoined the race! The things you do in the heat of the moment. Faulty battery connector. Very good set in its day but I lost count of the number of stick units I wore out.

Prestige V1 next which I used for most of my competitive career. Unreliable Kraft servos but OK if stripped and serviced regularly. By that I mean cleaning the pot. and taking the motor apart to clean the com. every few weeks. Can you just imagine that being the case today? I am still using servos over 20 years old now.

Posted by David perry 1 on 29/06/2020 22:36:05:

Some interesting names and models in this thread now. Makes a good read in its own right. Funny how we all move on and these names fade away...yet all real people of course. I do remember the two chaps, brothers, who ran arcade model shop in dudley. I loved it there...smelled of dope and balsa. Bought a diesel engine...my first motor. Cant recall the name...itwas red headed and only about a cc. Cant recall whether it ever flew.

I built.loads of rubber ff stuff from that shop and never ceased to be cheesed off when the brothers teied to tell me that my paiting with coloured dope would render it too heavy to fly. No.it wont. It might render it uncompetitive but it will be beautiful and uncompetitive. I still get narked when shop keepers tell me something wont work.

Happy daze

Merlin! That was my engine.