Can I use an ESC & LIPO for BEC only?

This might sound silly (I'm new to this). I'm creating a normal motor/esc/bec/lipo set up in a glider. I've built interchangeable noses - one with a motor and one without. Question is, when I remove the motor and head off to the slope to enjoy some silent flight, will the esc and lipo be happy just powering the receiver via the bec lead?
Thanks,
David

Advert

I've got a couple of 2 metre gliders where the Rx and servos are powered by a 2s lipo fed through the BEC of an old brushed ESC. They've flown for 2 or 3 years without problem I can't see weight being an issue on your installation as you will have to instal some church roof to sort out your CG when the motor is removed.

How about keeping it simple? Disable the motor by disconnecting it via suitable connectors (will have to be done anyway, with a detachable nosecone) and then use a rubber band to hold a folding prop closed tight to the fuz, or if a fixed prop, just take it off and replace the spinner with a suitable spacer?

This is usually sufficient to satisfy the requirements of most silent flight only sites, but I have heard that some will pedantically insist on a complete no power rule even if the installation is totally disabled.

Many thanks to Geoff, Trevor, Steve, Frank, Anthony, David, and Cuban8.
The reason I made an alternative nose is that I don't want to risk damage to a £40 motor if I'm not using it. My local slopes are 'Tors' topped with massive lumps of granite. The change over is just two screws and the non-motor nose is weighted to match the weight of the motor. Good point about insulating the motor leads! I might not have thought of that.
Cheers,
David

PS I tried to add an image to this post using 'Insert image from album' but it doesn't allow me to browse my folders. Shame.