Ballerina by EarlyBird

Advert

I have never used either Amazon or Ebay.

Although a very nice lady keeps telephoning me about my Amazon Prime account, well she was nice until I explained that I did not want it and had never had it. Then she said "you have just been wasting my time" and hung up. Obviously she did not realise that she was wasting my time. Is this a scam? I think so.

Ebay does not work for me because when I try to log in I get a message telling me my details are invalid. Anyway who cares? Not me as I can live without Ebay and will have to as I can not log in to it.

Groceries I walk to the local Co-op making sure I take my mask with me.

I find with age I have just developed habitual ways of living. I have been told that is because I do not like making decisions.

To prove a point I can not decide whether to glue this top sheet now or later. smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

I like a fixed lifestyle now and I am only coming up to 68. My Dad is 93 and Mum 90 so I hope that is a good sign for my longevity. smiley

By 90 I may have got good at intentional aerobatics laugh

In the mean time I am happy building and flying.

Which reminds me I have been thinking of the advantages of building from a plan as opposed to a plan pack.

With the pack the scale is fixed whereas from the plan the scale can be increased or decreased as one wishes.

Looking at the RF4 which is for a 30 size glow(?) what size would it be to suit a 46 glow? Your RF4 is one sixth scale at one quarter scale would it be suitable for the 46?

Cheers beer

Steve

Back to the build.

I have glued the wing tip on but not along the tip edge.

dscn0492.jpg

This leaves a small gap to feed glue into, I did not glue this edge because as I pinned it down the joint with the LE pulled up. So I thought let the glue set and then glue the tip edge later.

dscn0493.jpg

I am making it up as I go along. That is what makes it fun for me.

Cheers beer

Steve

That is a 30 four stroke. which is a lot less than a 30 two stroke.

Don't forget it is a powered glider.

a .40 two stroke would be enough for the 1/4 scale model in my opinion. although I don't normally go in for 1/4 scale models

If you have a .46 engine then you could use it.

The fullsize only used a VW engine.

No more work on the Ballerina yesterday as I was working on a new Taranis TX and setting up a Phoenix. The plan was to go test flying this morning in the light winds that were forecast. When I looked out of the window this morning, no wind as forecast, it was foggy sad. Then as the fog lifted the wind increased.sad Not to worry tomorrow is looking good. smiley

So working through the list.

Starting with LE caps. I cut the required strips from the 1/8" sheet. Test fitted, adjusting the centre join for the dihedral.

Propped up the TE by 1/4" which made the LE at a right angle to the board, well as near as I could tell. Then I remembered I needed to drill out for and deepen the wing dowel, as instructed/advised by Peter. With everything in place I glued one side on.

dscn0497.jpg

Clamping it in place as you can see.

Time to relax while the glue dries.

Cheers beer

Steve

I did go to the field and had two flights before the thunder storms rolled insad

I finished with the plane on the LE and was able to sand outside when the storm had passed.

dscn0501.jpg

Time to clean up the shavings as they were spreading all over the house.

Next on the list is the servo mounts. I have decided to go for the ply plate with the servo fixed on it's side and the servo arm protruding through a slot.

Cheers beer

Steve

Come on you are just being modest!

Anyway I had to go out in the garden to harvest onions. I can keep admiring it every time I come in to the kitchen. Modest! I am not laugh

Compared to the kits I have built before this really has gone together well. It is obvious that the other kits did not have good designers. For sure I have joined your fan base Peter.

Cheers beer

Steve

Time to use the last two laser cut parts. smiley

Wing fixing.

Drilled out and fitted LE dowel and tried the TE ply plate.

dscn0505.jpg

Used scrap balsa as location fixings for the ply plate.

dscn0506.jpg

Fitted blind nuts to the plate and screwed the wing bolts in from the wrong side. Placed the plate on the scrap balsa locators.

dscn0507.jpg

Pressed the wings down on the screws to mark the hole placing.

dscn0508.jpg

Drilled them and adjusted to fit like so.

dscn0510.jpg

As is my usual method this is all dry fit.

Looks like I can get the glue out again.

Cheers beer

Steve

Thanks Peter,

I do like to innovate but yes I did copy your method,

I was not reinventing the wheel.

The only difficulty I have is with the ply formers and ply doublers in that I can not push pins in to hold parts in place while they dry. Using scrap balsa glued in place to act as a location guide has worked for me in the past. Surprisingly, well it was the first time, these scraps do not need pinning in place just held for a few seconds for the glue to form an initial grab. This time I realised idea that I could dry fit everything with the bolts screwed from the wrong side and the plate resting on the balsa guides. Being lazy, obviously, I took the easy route. Hmm I wonder whom I could have got a job with.

Final trial assembly is approaching and I am starting to think about colour schemes. I need colours that everyone can see so that they keep out of my way. I think the colour of your car would fit the bill. Jacintha?

I am having fun.

Cheers beer

Steve