Ballerina by EarlyBird

The big thing is to have very different colours underneath. I favour either light with big black squares under the wing or dark with big white squares so you really know which way up it is.

Club members have learned from me when they have NOT done that. The comment "Now I see why you do that!" is not unkown.

ORange on top is pretty good but you only see the top when it is upside down sothe choice is yours. I like fancy shapes on top but they can be a pain when repairing a model

Advert

Thanks Peter,

I have noticed many builds with light/bright colours on top and dark underneath which makes sense.

First I have to finish the build but I am one step closer today.

dscn0511.jpg

The first trial fit of the complete airframe. smiley

There is plenty of shaping and sanding to do before I can start the covering.

Another great day in Lincolnshire.

Cheers beer

Steve

I have been thinking about colour schemes and Peter's advice is something I have observed others do and done myself by accident. I like doing the right thing by accident.

As an example my last build. A HK Spacewalker.

dscn0512.jpg

dscn0513.jpg

The dark blue on the underside was by accident because it was the only colour I had left. Only part way there as I did not include a light colour, big white squares for example.

For the Ballerina dark blue with some white on the underside and white/jacinth on top would work thinking Hmmm

Cheers beer

Steve

Not a lot done today. I put it down to a lack of motivation due to the weather. Mid August and the max temp is 18 C with wind and rain. Not good for sanding outside. OpenTX also grabbed my attention.

But I achieved my minimum target which is to do something on the build.

Here it is, tail wheel fitted to the rudder.

dscn0517.jpg

As the tailwheel is fitted to the rudder I could start covering!

Cheers beer

Steve

Fitted the tail wheel bracket which took all morning. What two screws! Unfortunately the design is for a tail skid, another bright idea of mine to use a steerable tail wheel which added complications. The underside of the fuselage is not at a right angle to the rudder hinge so I had to make a wedge from 1/16" ply. My first attempt did not fit very well so I tried again and made a better job of it.

dscn0523.jpg

Took it apart and adjusted the wing seating on the fuselage which involved multiple assembly, check, disassemble and adjust iterations. When finally happy with the fit, or deciding that it would do, I moved on to sanding the wings ready for covering.

Another good days work here in North Lincolnshire.

Tomorrow I will work on the fuselage. Fit the battery hatch and more sanding is needed to get it ready for covering.

Cheers beer

Steve

I did consider using a fixed tailwheel and assumed it would taxi but as I had a steerable tailwheel on the shelf I decided to use it and make absolutely certain that I could taxi back to the flight line.

Little did I know the difficulty I would encounter fitting it.

Not to worry it is done now.

Next time I will know what is in store for me. laugh

Cheers beer

Steve

As promised started on the fuselage, more specifically the battery hatch. The hinges needed lining up.

Like so

dscn0524.jpg

Then magnets fitting.

dscn0525.jpg

Then back to the wings to carve out for the under carriage.

dscn0526.jpg

I also did some sanding and shaping on the wings.

Test fit again!

dscn0527.jpg

There you have it, another good days work that is way above my minimum target.

I have a delivery from SLEC tomorrow with the wire and fixings for the undercarriage. This will be my first time for bending wire. No problem I hope.

Cheers beer

Steve

This morning it was not raining and there was only a light breeze. smiley

Was at the field by 07:30 and had three good flights before the wind picked up and the clouds rolled in.

Home for my second coffee and while waiting for the delivery I sanded and shaped the fuselage, battery hatch and cowl.

Delivery from SLEC arrived. I bent the undercarriage, finding it very easy to do.

Not so easy was fitting it to the wings.

Here we are, one wheel on my plane (wagon).

dscn0528.jpg

With the second leg ready.

That will be tomorrow.

Cheers beer

Steve

Second leg fitted.

dscn0529.jpg

Seemed a lot easier than the first one, due to having practiced on the first I guess.

Elevator halves joined.

dscn0530.jpg

Next is to prepare for the covering. Which starts with a big clean up so that I do not get balsa dust under the covering this time. sad Then repair the dints and dings in the balsa caused by my ham fisted handling.

I am beginning to think it will not be long before the maiden.

Cheers beer

Steve

Found the vacuum cleaner this morning and cleaned the house top to bottom, eventually making my way to the dinning room/workshop.

Then took everything apart.

dscn0533.jpg

dscn0532.jpg

dscn0531.jpg

Did a final check on the tail feathers. Only some light sanding required. Cleaned up again frown. Cleaning will be an ongoing process from now on.

Next get out the paint brush and start the sanding sealer. Yes then sand and clean again. laugh

Cheers beer

Steve

Tail feathers varnished and drying.

dscn0534.jpg

Working on the cowl fixing. On the bottom are keyholes and screws.

dscn0536.jpg

The top is held in place by two screws in the battery bay.

dscn0535.jpg

These hold the cowl in place and pull it against the fire wall thereby minimising the gap.

Seems to work but time will tell.

When the cowl was fixed in place I was able to sand the joint flush, more sanding and more cleaning I know!

As I can't find anything else that needs doing to the fuselage it will get a coat of acrylic varnish next. Then I must make sure the wings are perfect, unfortunately once covered it is too late.

Cheers beer

Steve

I never did, for over 30 years. Then last year I was recommended Eze-Kote from Deluxe materials. I used it on my latest build and it definitely toughens up the wood, making it less prone to bruising with the edge of the iron. Too early to say what the long term benefits are though.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor,

I have been thinking about this all day and yes it does toughen up the wood, especially the soft balsa. Without it I did have problems with bruising while ironing on the film.

Maybe I just need to be more careful with the iron.

I have now applied one coat of varnish, the next coat will have talc added to emulate sanding sealer. This will fill the grain, is easy to sand and gives a very smooth finish. Once covered the quality of the finish is excellent. Which is why I started doing this.

Is it necessary? Probably not as it will not affect how the plane flies. But this will not be my last plane and I just look at it as one more step and one more chance to learn for the next model.

Will I do the same on the next model, Fournier RF-4, now that is a good question as potentially I will be adding weight. I will have to think about that for a powered glider weight or lack of is an important factor.

Peter,

Not many judging by the lack of response. I guess that once again I am making the build more difficult than it needs to be but it will look good. Well I hope it will. Time will be the judge once again.

Cheers beer

Steve

I just never thought of doing it. As far as I was concerend iron films where great. No more hours with sanding sealer and dope and talc and rubbing down and tissue and more rubbing down and paint (several rubbed down coats) etc etc.

Mind you, with a few weeks work you could bring up a finish like a Rolls Royce. and then one rough landing and a couple more weeks to restore the scuff marks.

Peter you have it all worked out!

Yes the goal is for it to look like a Rolls Royce, unfortunately if it looks too good then I will be reluctant to fly it laugh

If I am reluctant and not at ease while flying then there is more chance of a rough landing and scuff marks. However once past that stage it will become my favourite every day plane, even if it's not or maybe because it's not pristeen any more.

It's all good fun!

Cheers beer

Steve

I don't own a RR and have no desire to drive one so I am questioning what I am doing. I have seen beautiful models at my club and was trying to achieve the same, but they are scale competition planes. Anyway decided to use the battery hatch as a test piece and applied the next coat of varnish/talc. This is after sanding down.

dscn0537.jpg

It is definitely smother than the adjacent fuselage as the wood grain has been filled. Decision made yes it is worth it. Gave the wings the treatment and here it is before sanding.

dscn0538.jpg

Looking at all of the sanding I now have to do I am now having second thoughts frown is it worth the effort.

Hmm thinking

Cheers beer

Steve

After two hours of sanding the wing is now ready for covering.

Bubbles? The sanding was enough to make me think this was not a good idea. What next I ask myself.

Hmm never had a problem with bubbles, but there is always a first time.

I will let you know.

Cheers beer

Steve

The excessive sanding was my mistake. I mixed the varnish/talc too thick and plastered too much on. The thing is I had learned this lesson before, but must have forgotten, don't you love relearning past mistakes? Hmmthinking No.

The idea is to fill the grain of the wood therefore a thin coat is all that is needed. With a thin coat very little sanding will be required. What I have done in the past is to use an old credit card and spread it as thinly as possible.

How thick for the best mix is down to trial and error, too thin may need a second coat but too thick is a real pain.

Only the fuselage left to apply the second coat to. By the end of tomorrow everything should be ready for covering.smiley

It's all good fun.

Cheers beer

Steve

Today the fun really starts!

Everything is ready for covering.

Starting with the bottom of the wing, as usual. I have chosen the colours and set out the design.

dscn0539.jpg

Light blue, white and dark blue.

As all of the decisions are now made all I have to do is find the tools and get on with it. More later....

Cheers beer

Steve