Ballerina by EarlyBird

I like simple too.

As I have said many times, I use the KISS principle all the time.

I am looking at my drawing board at the moment. I have a biplane on it. I hate struts and cabin biplanes don't have quite the the same feeling for aerobatics.

I have gone back to my control line designs from the 1970s. Prodlem solved!!laugh

Very good Peter laugh

But I acquired big batteries and they are very quick to use.

I have admired your collection of bulldog clips that I have seen in your build logs. I am now wondering where I could acquire some. thinking Office supplies? they cost money. Car boot sale? Too risky.

Steve

The glue is dry! yes

dscn0413.jpg

This has to be the best result I have had with leading edge top sheeting.

I have previously built three HK kits and a Das Ugly Stik(DUS) plan pack.

First kit I had difficulty holding the sheeting in place using weights, tape and pins. Copious amounts of filler required.

Second kit with wet sheeting was easier but easily damaged. Small amounts of filler required.

First plan pack DUS wet sheeting then allowed to dry over night. Easiest so far no filler yes

Third kit, HK Space walker, was a nightmare because of the design. Back to copious filler used no

This time no filler used yes

Method

Wet the sheet.

Place on the wing.

Use a plastic tube/bag.

Use a ruler or thin wood to spread the load over the spar with clamps or weights to hold it in place.

Use weights inside the tube to apply even pressure. See post 27/07/2020 17:25:06.

Leave to dry.

Glue the sheeting on.

First time luck? I will find out on the second wing, Maybe frown

Cheers beer

Steve

You certainly got a good job there.Well done.

The one thing that I always say. (one of many!smiley) I never grudge spending money on tools.

I have tools that I may only use once in a year but they are the only one that will do the job.

Example. I have a right angle drive for my Dremel. About once a year I find that I need to drill a hole in a plywood former buried in the fuselage. The only way to do thatis with the right angle drive.

Thanks Peter.

I do try. I was told at school that I was always trying. I am not sure it was intended to be a compliment. laugh

Keep talking everything you say is interesting and a really big help to me.

I always like to innovate, try something new. I am surprised how well the plastic bag and weights worked. Applying even pressure to the leading edge suddenly came together, one of those enlightenedmoments. Plus it was quick and simple, much quicker than pins or tape.

Tools yes. I was using a Junior Hacksaw for ages, which worked, but recently I bought a Razor Saw which is so much easier and accurate. Next I am thinking of investing in a Fret Saw so that I can build from a plan. Pillar Drill would be useful. Hmmm the list is endless....... smiley

Cheers beer

Steve

Posted by Keith Berriman on 28/07/2020 10:23:51:

I built a nice glider and the tip for glued sheet to leading edges was dampen the wood glue down and weight down with model magazines that followed the compound curve perfectly

I use that method when wings have to be completley sheet covered. Argos catalogues are very good for that.

Steve.

The fret saw is essential.You can get a good powered scrollsaw from Screwfix for reasonnable a reasonable price. when you have several 1/8" ply formers and some 1/4" ply parts it is vital.

You can also use it on thick balsa. For example cutting 1/2" sheet at a slight angle for building the cowlis somucj=h easier.just tilt the plate the right amount andthe job is done.

They will also cut aluminium sheet and beech engine bearers.

Scrollsaws were dear in i990, got very cheap almost half price by 2010 ( 50 pound down from 100) now about 120 but with extra features like light , dust blower and variable speed. So a good time to buy- check out Axminster as well as Toolstation. Many look very similar but the fit and finish varies from make to make as does the extras, so look carefully at spec.

Buy extra pin ended blades as they are difficult to get locally, and if there is an option for adaptor for ordinary fretsaw blades buy it whilst available as ordinary fretsaw blades are easy to get and come in wider range of teeth size. Also fretsaw blades go thro smaller holes than pin ended when doing internal cuts.

Note that scrollsaws don't cut straight lines easily - need skill & patience! Curved cuts seem easy as you correct all the time, but straight cuts cannot be made by just pushing straight thro..  Blade tension is key so a quick release blade tension on top of saw is very worthwhile otherwise fiddly underneath at back ( like my old version )  Tension is adjusted by plucking blade like a musical instrument and listening for the note.

Edited By kc on 28/07/2020 13:09:21

One other thing about scrollsaws is the table - some have cast iron some alloy. Check out the weight. If you have a permanant position in a dry workshop then cast iron is best, if you have to move it around or have a damp workshop then alloy might be better.

kc that's comprehensive information thanks.

Space could be an issue as my house is full of planes, except the spare bedroom now that's an idea enlightened

Looking at the prices they would soon pay for themselves, by not having to buy laser cut kits.

Hmm thinking

Cheers beer

Steve

Steve, I won't clog up your thread with a lot more about scroll saws, except to say i like the Record one out of those on sale now. Reasons are quick release+ light+ Fretsaw blade+5 year warranty.

Lots of other makes have reviews where someone had the motor go dead after a few weeks - probably the 'ESC' part of the variable speed I suspect, so a 5 year warranty appeals.

Older machines are very similar but don't have variable speed so go on for many years so would be a good buy secondhand if cheap enough and they come up quite often. However they need to be cheap to be worth buying as they lack the quick release, work light and blower. These are not essential but would add a lot to the convenience and satisfaction of working with the tool.

Posted by Peter Miller on 28/07/2020 18:59:51:

As I often say "What isn't there can't go wrong."

True that is exactly my thoughts. 

I was thinking about investing in a fret saw because it has variable speed, does have quick release, I am not on piece work and there is nothing to go wrong. laugh

Edited By EarlyBird on 29/07/2020 06:22:36