What has happened to i.c. engines?

Posted by Barrie Lever on 11/08/2020 00:03:55:
Posted by Paul Marsh on 10/08/2020 20:51:56:

In the past few years, we have lost ASP, SC, Magnum,Thunder Tiger, Super Tigre, YS, to name a few, and JR Radio, Hitec (as in Transmitters), Multiplex.

Even most OS Engines are not made anymore...

Paul

YS and Multiplex are still going strong

B.

And Futaba, of course!

smiley

Posted by kc on 10/08/2020 12:01:01:

One thing that has changed is the requirement to register with CAA , take a test and pay your 9 pounds before you fly an over 250gram model that is not control line. But it's dead simple and everyone has done it even the least computer literate member of my club ( with a little computer help from a friend) has passed the simple questionaire test. Just do it and put your reg letters on or inside hatch of your model.

Edited By kc on 10/08/2020 12:02:19

'Everyone' certainly has not done it. I for one will never be paying the unjust registration tax.

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 10/08/2020 23:10:32:

The biggest threat to the future of the hobby, in my view, is a lack of newcomers, particularly youngsters, rather than anything else.

Agreed, however all these new draconian regulations and restriction do nothing to help newcomers into the hobby either.The lack of free flying sites is another issue.

"What the hell has happened"

Things change is all. Some for the better, some for the worse. As it's MY money and nobody else's I also rely on MY opinion and nobody else's I don't spend my money on the 'worse' (eg foamies and ARTFs of any kind) bur I do buy the 'better'. I don't care about 'value for money', only about. 'good'.

Registration? It's just more futile government bureaucracy. Futile because most people of malevolent intent won't register. The wiser ones might because then they can practice their future malevolence without being fined or arrested. Neither will put their registration on their aircraft when actually perforning malevolent acts, rendering registration totally pointless for everyone.

Did I register? Yes, Because our somewhat authoritarian club committee, elected only   because  they were the only ones willing to be on the committee,  insist on it.  I personally think It's less hassle to pay the £9 than argue with them. I certainly didn't register because I am any kind of 'law abiding citizen'. 

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 11/08/2020 10:27:18

I said everyone who is in my club had registered with CAA . We don't agree with the law but are all law abiding citizens. The lawbreakers will bring aeromodelling into disrepute. We should advise the authotities of any aeromodeller who deliberately breaks the law by flying and deliberately not registering..........

Posted by kc on 11/08/2020 10:20:12:

I said everyone who is in my club had registered with CAA . We don't agree with the law but are all law abiding citizens. The lawbreakers will bring aeromodelling into disrepute. We should advise the authotities of any aeromodeller who deliberately breaks the law by flying and deliberately not registering..........

It's good that none of. you have ever broken the speed limit. What fine fellows you all are.

Snitching on other flyers is a fine example to us all.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 11/08/2020 10:43:18

Couple of observations:

Re lack of newcomers - most of our Club's recent 'acquisitions' have been older, retired types. These are the ones to attract. Attempts to woo the 'yoof' element are doomed to failure.

Club Committees - you get what you vote for and blaming their decisions is the ultimate cop-out. We modified our rules to state that it's up to individual members to ensure their legality to fly and that the Club would NOT be monitoring this (the only thing we actually check is BMFA membership).

Purchasing decisions based on the material composition, stage of build or country of origin are pretty irrational. Personally I buy whatever attracts my interest, which is informed by quality (perceived and/or reported) and price.

Most flyers will have gone through the motions and will be set up to comply with the requirements, both of my clubs have taken the hassle out of all the admin faffing about by dealing with the nine quid, end of story for now.

However, the usual suspects who can't get their models in a flyable condition on a regular basis at the field - forgotten transmitters, screwed up programming, flat batteries, dud glowplugs, stale fuel, leaky fuel tanks, dead stick after dead stick, a wreck every session and trouble remembering and adhering to the simplest club rules etc etc - the number labels and exemption documents are the last things on their minds. Will it actually matter and does anyone really give a fig anyway?

Have the 'registration and compliance police volunteers' in your club been active?wink No sign in my necks of the woods thankfully.

Yeh, let’s blame the government, club committees, BMFA and those malevolent and irresponsible drone fliers!

Let’s also openly announce our intention to ignore the law and risk a fine but perhaps saving 9 quid to buy a cheap servo or, maybe, a Chicken Balti with Pilau Rice and a Plain Nan?

And let us never accept responsibility for our personal actions or consider their possible effects on others.

Vive le revolution!

😊

Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 11/08/2020 15:55:58:

Yeh, let’s blame the government, club committees, BMFA and those malevolent and irresponsible drone fliers!

Let’s also openly announce our intention to ignore the law and risk a fine but perhaps saving 9 quid to buy a cheap servo or, maybe, a Chicken Balti with Pilau Rice and a Plain Nan?

And let us never accept responsibility for our personal actions or consider their possible effects on others.

Vive le revolution!

😊

Government:: They introduced this futile 'registration'. Futile? yes. Nobody who intends to break the flying rules will put an identifying number on the aircraft.

Clubs: The BMFA does not demand you put the number on the plane so BMFA registered clubs shouldn't either. We fly on Forestry Commission land and the FC has said that if we feel there is a problem with people not registering and we wish to report it we should call the CAA or whatever, and NOT the FC.

Takeaway orl icence? A purely personal decision. Only those who have never stolen an apple as a child, exceeded the speed limit, or cycled at night without lights should criticise any decision you make.

Personal responsibility? Of course. You don't have to tell us, thank you very much. But 'hands up' those who have signed a chit saying they would be responsible citizens in all circumstances.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 11/08/2020 17:21:32

Keith. The nine quid and registration hoop jumping was never an issue for most reasonable people. A shrug of the shoulders and we mostly all coughed up. However, those same reasonable people who bothered to take an interest did question what good nine quid and a sticky number was going to do both directly for our hobby and for the wider issue of the nebulous term 'safety'. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that the answer rests somewhere between not a lot and next to nothing IMHO.

I can see a rethink of all this coming our way in the next few years within the UK certainly, elsewhere perhaps.

Folks, I'm sure many of you will agree that we've had more than enough threads about the legislative situation.

I believe the OP was hoping to discuss the availability (or otherwise) of the traditional modelling materials and equipment we all knew and loved.....

Can we just try and stay on that topic, please?smile

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 11/08/2020 18:14:21:

Folks, I'm sure many of you will agree that we've had more than enough threads about the legislative situation.

I believe the OP was hoping to discuss the availability (or otherwise) of the traditional modelling materials and equipment we all knew and loved.....

Can we just try and stay on that topic, please?smile

Pete

Some of us try !

I remember at school when we had lessons which involved debate. One person (not me) would always try and twist it round to involve cabbages.

Here's an idea for a new pole.

Are you

a ) Grumpy ?

b ) Very grumpy ?

c)  Extremely grumpy ?

d ) A serial thread whinger ?

smiley

Edited By kevin b on 11/08/2020 20:07:30

Edited By kevin b on 11/08/2020 20:10:50

Keith M2,

... don't never ever post "an attempt at satire", please...

... even if by chance "some may have got it"... surprise

... most are too 'grumpy' to get it anyhow... wink

On a side note, 'révolution' is feminine in French... the same as 'barricade' or certainly 'guillotine'...

... so, next time it should be "Vive LA révolution", please...

Cheers & keep 'cool', all

Chris