October 2020 issue chat

David Ashby - Moderator

Another good issue with interesting articles. I think the editor and contributors are surviving very well and I'll certainly continue my subscription.

I've been involved with computers for most of my life one way and another and I quite enjoy on-line content but there's something about a glossy paper magazine I wouldn't want to lose. We still subscribe to a daily newspaper as well. Perhaps it's because we're old

Geoff

Totally agree with all your comments Geoff.

Excellent issue with a very 'interesting' picture of Simon 'Putin' Cocker on page 87. I think that a picture of me with my Cularis in a similar pose submitted for publication, would be instantly rejected!

Simon unfortunately had a picture of me published standing sideways looking at Simon Warran-Smith's glider at Buckminster a couple years ago, which clearly showed how my waistline has expanded over the years. He could have been kinder to me and PhotoShopped it back to more reasonable proportions!

cheekysmiley

Best wishes to all

Eric

I use a Chromebook all the time with no problems normally. What I get when attempting to load the Oct and earlier issues is this 2-line message:

An Error Has Occurred

I'm sorry but we can't process your request at this time (bad referrer)

The pre-Jan 2016 issues stopped being viewable when the system viewer changed to the present somewhat less convenient presentation.

Gordon

Hi David

Ref your original post, did your team sort out the problem with the digital issues? Why I ask is that I am still blocked from viewing the digital issues via my Chromebook, though I can view them on my android phone, android tablet, and a W10 laptop, all using the Google Chrome browser. Therefore clearly my subscription is active.

I googled "bad referrer" to see what it meant. Apparently a referrer in the context of the internet is "the URL from which a user agent was referred to another URL", and there were links suggesting that bad referrers are generally spam. Since I'm trying to access the digital archive from your digital issues page URL, it appears that my attempts to connect from that URL via my Chromebook are being treated as spam and rejected as such.

Can your developers throw any light on whether my Chromebook access problem could be linked to the problem you alluded to in your first post?

Kind regards

Gordon

PS. I have no problem accessing archived magazines on the Pocketmags website using the Chromebook.

PPS, I know nothing about how any of these systems work.

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 29/09/2020 11:59:02

One thing they did mention in passing....

One way the ‘bad referrer’ error can happen is if you are browsing using a proxy server or elevated security settings. This means that the link you clicked to get from our website to the magazine archive gets obscured and the archive website therefore is unable to see the information that demonstrates that you are a legitimate subscriber.

I suspect that you have a security setting on your browser that is blocking referrer information. there is some information here, although it is not particularly easy to understand:

**LINK**

If you have recently updated your browser or changed security settings/installed security software that may be the root cause.

So, still being looked into, but, apparently, there’s an option within the browser settings to protect the firewall which needs to be unticked to allow people to view the archive.

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 29/09/2020 19:39:59

• 2 weeks later...

I've managed to cure the bad referrer issue in chrome, both on my PC and my Android phone.

What I don't know, is what the security implications are of doing so.

This worked for me. Copy and paste this URL into chrome:-

chrome://flags/#reduced-referrer-granularity

Then disable the setting that you find highlighted. Restart chrome so that the change takes effect.

UPDATE

This version appears to work in Microsoft Edge:
edge://flags/#reduced-referrer-granularity 

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 12/10/2020 17:58:13